News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

The Desert

Started by Nast, September 24, 2015, 06:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

You know, from the outside, things look alright: I have a warm bed, I have enough food, I'm not homeless or in prison. I live clean, I have a college degree. People tell me that I'm talented and good-looking. But on the inside I know that I'm a failure, because somewhere along the line I fell off this conveyor belt and was never able to get back on again.

I used to bright, you know, but there's so much dust in this place that I can't distinguish myself from the landscape. It's so flat and wide and desolate. The sun beats down; I have no protection.

I missed every milestone.

My peers went zooming past me long ago to that place they call a Fulfilling Life. You can see it shining over there on the horizon, that fabled place, that place we're promised if we behave in school and interview well.

The desert is full of mirages.

I stopped being thirsty a long time ago. The dust sort of settles in everywhere - into your mouth, your nose, your eyes - until you become dust yourself. My throat filled up, I expected to yearn for breath, but that never came. I accepted this.

When your body gets sick, people send you flowers.
When your mind is sick, it's like no one wants to look at you at all.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Good Reverend Roger

:mittens:

But it gets even better.  The people who ran off to fulfill life?  They're still in the desert.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ooooh Nast, this is *good*.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Thanks guys. I'm not a very prolific writer and I don't get ideas very often, but the urge to write this one came to me after a walk last night. So I just sort of threw it up here on the internet.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 24, 2015, 04:59:48 PM
:mittens:

But it gets even better.  The people who ran off to fulfill life?  They're still in the desert.

Yep.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Wizard Joseph

That was haunting, beautiful, and true Nast.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Meunster

Poe's law ;)