News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

who killed videogames? (a ghost story)

Started by Triple Zero, October 15, 2011, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was a fascinating article!

I am now glad that I hate all of those social games and find them too boring to even contemplate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I might never feel comfortable playing a new big label video game again.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Disco Pickle

I have to wonder if this isn't the natural progression now that arcades are dead. (They are here, anyway.  Not sure about the rest of the world.  I've seen them in Mexico City within the last 2 years but hell, it's Mexico.  It's a peso a play and they're likely pirated roms)

Not that this is a good thing.  It reminds me more of carnivals and rigged games, designed to separate you from your money and leave you walking away $20 lighter and holding a giant, pink, stuffed teddy bear so everyone can see just how gullible you were.

Sharing the hell out of this.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Rumckle

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 16, 2011, 07:44:24 AM
I have to wonder if this isn't the natural progression now that arcades are dead. (They are here, anyway.  Not sure about the rest of the world.  I've seen them in Mexico City within the last 2 years but hell, it's Mexico.  It's a peso a play and they're likely pirated roms)

Not that this is a good thing.  It reminds me more of carnivals and rigged games, designed to separate you from your money and leave you walking away $20 lighter and holding a giant, pink, stuffed teddy bear so everyone can see just how gullible you were.

You can find arcades at some places around here (my city's arcade closed down about a year ago), however I think it may be partly due to them all having laser tag attached, ie something that is hard to replicate with a home system (also airhockey!!)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

PopeTom

-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 16, 2011, 07:44:24 AM

We have three arcades here, probably because of all the 25-year-old hipsters who vaguely remember arcades from childhood.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

We have arcades here, but they found a new niche in being an arcade/bar/restaurant.  it works well and they get plenty of business.

the local mall also has an arcade in it still, but the games are ancient and there is NEVER anyone in it.  i assume it is a front.

regarding OP, interesting article...  it really lays it out.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oooh that reminds me that the Chinese shopping mall has an arcade too.