News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

The Master and Margarita. Finally got around to buying Good Omens, so will probably start that soon too.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Reeducation

Still reading Beyond Good and Evil. In english language.
Many difficult words here, i dont even know what they mean. :) This may take some time.
Same thing as with the Thus Spoke Zarathustra!
I am very calm

LMNO

Quote from: Anonymously Evil on April 02, 2008, 04:00:34 AM
The Master and Margarita. Finally got around to buying Good Omens, so will probably start that soon too.

Awesome fucking book.

Churro the Viscous

As I Lay Dying - Faulkner
The Eye In The Pyramid - RAW
"Nothing is true. Everything is permissible." - Hasan bin Sabbah
"Non Serviam" - Satan

e

I recently finished reading "As I Lay Dying", it was great fun.

Disorder:

Nietzsche liked to coin a lot of words that aren't real, so those in there will also throw you off in addition to the normal cons of reading old stuff: outdated syntax and weird words that aren't around any more.

My favourite Nietzsche word is "ipsissimosity" which essentially means "Self-referential"  That one is actually in "Good and Evil" too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 02, 2008, 05:02:43 PM
Quote from: Anonymously Evil on April 02, 2008, 04:00:34 AM

Awesome fucking book.

I just bought it, I'm looking forward to it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Still reading The Art of Memetics.  Just started on an odd little download I was directed to by a friend.  Its called Unholy Spirits - Occultism and New Age Humanism, and is a look at the role of the occult in the American counterculture.  Its written by a Christian, and he makes no attempt to hide his background, but it is, so far (20 pages in) sober and reserved in its observations.  The writer seems intelligent enough, I suspect he will either reserve judgement for later, or make it implicit only.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I read a bit more of Illuminatus! Last night. I am enjoying it on some levels, but man, what is up with the obsession almost all "progressive" male writers of that era have with sex as some sort of gateway to enlightenment?

Is it that they were doing it wrong before, and when they suddenly realized that sex can be a meaningful connection between two people they were all "Holy shit I'd better tell everyone!"

Also, the descriptions of female orgasm are pure retarded fantasy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

e

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2008, 09:10:52 PM
what is up with the obsession almost all "progressive" male writers of that era have with sex as some sort of gateway to enlightenment?
Also, the descriptions of female orgasm are pure retarded fantasy.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Cainad (dec.)

Is it that they were doing it wrong before, and when they suddenly realized that sex can be a meaningful connection between two people they were all "Holy shit I'd better tell everyone!"

That motorcycle... it's the correct one, I think.

The Littlest Ubermensch

I read a bit more of Illuminatus! Last night. I am enjoying it on some levels, but man, what is up with the obsession almost all "progressive" male writers of that era have with sex as some sort of gateway to enlightenment?

Because sex is fun. If you can get it by selling it as "a gateway to enlightenment", men will do so.
Or maybe it's just a part of getting caught up in the backlash towards puritanical ideas about sex. Probably both.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Cain

OTO/Crowley/Summer of Love/Yoga/Tantra etc 

Cain

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2008, 06:01:10 PM
Still reading The Art of Memetics.  Just started on an odd little download I was directed to by a friend.  Its called Unholy Spirits - Occultism and New Age Humanism, and is a look at the role of the occult in the American counterculture.  Its written by a Christian, and he makes no attempt to hide his background, but it is, so far (20 pages in) sober and reserved in its observations.  The writer seems intelligent enough, I suspect he will either reserve judgement for later, or make it implicit only.

OK, this changed very fast.  He's way more explicit now in what he thinks, but he is still being intelligent about it.  Disconcertingly so, he seems to be very well read and at least competent in dealing with some high level philosophical thinking.  I'm going to copy certain fragments out later today, because I think they draw some interesting divides between Christian and Discordian ideas.

LMNO

Yeah, pretty much.

If you take into consideration that the prevailing attitudes regarding sex at the time were "good girls don't" and "just let him do his business", add to the fact that they were still arguing about whether or not the clitoral orgasm existed, and tie it all up in a bow with men not giving a damn about the women's physical need... well, a 30-minute fuck session with plenty of oral and simultaneous orgasm was revolutionary.

We kind of take it for granted these days.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 08, 2008, 03:36:10 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

If you take into consideration that the prevailing attitudes regarding sex at the time were "good girls don't" and "just let him do his business", add to the fact that they were still arguing about whether or not the clitoral orgasm existed, and tie it all up in a bow with men not giving a damn about the women's physical need... well, a 30-minute fuck session with plenty of oral and simultaneous orgasm was revolutionary.

We kind of take it for granted these days.

Yeah but... Kinsey! I mean, really.