News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Here's the paradox

Started by Cain, January 27, 2013, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 29, 2013, 06:14:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:10:21 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 29, 2013, 06:08:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:01:10 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 29, 2013, 05:55:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 29, 2013, 05:53:38 PM
....ITT.

Was going to say... don't make TGGR or me pull out history on your ass. heh

Don't involve me in this shit, Rev.  Cain can do what he wants, same as you or I can (and I have, you may recall).

I just wish I'd had a chance to see the thread.

Wait... if I can do what I want, wouldn't that imply that I can involve you if I so desire?

Let me consult the magic 8 ball that the I&E crew got for me.

"This won't end well".

So, you know, do whatcha like.  But don't say you and I weren't warned, for the magic 8 ball never lies.

Come on TGRR, you know that I love a good challenge... be it a warning, a threat, or a law of physics.

This is neither.  It is the magic 8 ball on my desk, which takes pride of place even above the voodoo doll that keeps the breakdown spirits away from the plant.  The magic 8 ball is wise and terrible, and takes no shit from mortals such as you or I.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Cain, is there any chance you'll repost your piece?  I'd like to see it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on January 29, 2013, 05:35:04 PM
It's becoming annoying, this deleting a starting post. Especially since it seems to be done just because the troll of the week/month/year has posted in the thread.

Sita, being a past-master at butthurt myself, I have to wonder what result you set out to obtain when responding to someone's anger with that sort of post?  If someone's angry enough to erase something they spent a lot of time writing, they're certainly not going to respond well to annoyance at that anger, especially when the implication is - and I'm not saying you meant it this way, but this is how it looks - that the important part is your ability to read the post, with the feelings of the person who wrote it as a distant second, if a consideration at all.

Some years ago, back in the bad old days when Lauren ran the board, she decided during one of the usual screaming matches to ask if I would consider writing sermons and rants, and not post otherwise; that my writing was valued, but she and her hangers-on would rather that I absent myself while not actually doing the writing.

The results were predictable, for I am nothing if not consistent. 

The point I'm trying to make is, your post had the same tone, if not the same insanely offensive content.  I don't think you intended that, you haven't been known for that sort of thing, but that is in fact how it looks.

Rev Thwack

TGRR, the complaint I personally had with the way the boards used to be run and the community as a whole was the level lengths at which people became emotionally invested in things. There was an inability to take an insult, argument, differing opinion, or even anything but agreement and ass kissing. Mgmt kept some of that going with a few of her decisions, and part of it just fell on those who were here. This is actually the reason I stirred up some shit over the whole UU crap when I came back a few years ago, and the reason I kind of drifted away in the first place.

People need to decide if they want this to be a giant circle jerk, a den of intellectuality, or a safe have for those who like to fuck with the minds of others. If it is the last one, can we really bitch and moan over having your feelings hurt or someone being nasty?

But, that's just my $0.02
My balls itch...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 29, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
TGRR, the complaint I personally had with the way the boards used to be run and the community as a whole was the level lengths at which people became emotionally invested in things. There was an inability to take an insult, argument, differing opinion, or even anything but agreement and ass kissing. Mgmt kept some of that going with a few of her decisions, and part of it just fell on those who were here. This is actually the reason I stirred up some shit over the whole UU crap when I came back a few years ago, and the reason I kind of drifted away in the first place.

People need to decide if they want this to be a giant circle jerk, a den of intellectuality, or a safe have for those who like to fuck with the minds of others. If it is the last one, can we really bitch and moan over having your feelings hurt or someone being nasty?

But, that's just my $0.02

I'm just here on account of many of my friends are here.  And they are my friends because of:

A)  They're mostly nice.
B)  They're interesting, and
C)  They're thousands of miles away.  <--- I'd still like them if they were local, but I probably wouldn't have taken the TIME to get to know them if they were local, because whatever ideosyncracies they may have would drive me bugshit.

So I'd have to say, "None of the above."  I can get "intellectuals" at Starbucks, a circle jerk in the conference room, and I'm not really big on safe havens or fucking with peoples' minds unless it's funny.

Sita

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:39:16 PM
It's becoming annoying, this deleting a starting post. Especially since it seems to be done just because the troll of the week/month/year has posted in the thread.

Sita, being a past-master at butthurt myself, I have to wonder what result you set out to obtain when responding to someone's anger with that sort of post?  If someone's angry enough to erase something they spent a lot of time writing, they're certainly not going to respond well to annoyance at that anger, especially when the implication is - and I'm not saying you meant it this way, but this is how it looks - that the important part is your ability to read the post, with the feelings of the person who wrote it as a distant second, if a consideration at all.

Some years ago, back in the bad old days when Lauren ran the board, she decided during one of the usual screaming matches to ask if I would consider writing sermons and rants, and not post otherwise; that my writing was valued, but she and her hangers-on would rather that I absent myself while not actually doing the writing.

The point I'm trying to make is, your post had the same tone, if not the same insanely offensive content.  I don't think you intended that, you haven't been known for that sort of thing, but that is in fact how it looks.
Being at least the 2nd or 3rd thread I can remember this has happening to within the last few months I got annoyed and thought I'd mention it.
It was just my opinion, which I really should know by now to just keep to my damn self. And I will make sure to do from now on so no one else gets upset.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on January 29, 2013, 08:33:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

Being at least the 2nd or 3rd thread I can remember this has happening to within the last few months I got annoyed and thought I'd mention it.
It was just my opinion, which I really should know by now to just keep to my damn self. And I will make sure to do from now on so no one else gets upset.

I'm not saying SHUT UP, I'm just saying put yourself in Cain's shoes.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

I didn't save what I wrote.  Sorry.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 29, 2013, 08:42:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

I didn't save what I wrote.  Sorry.

Well, shit.

Can't say I haven't done that myself within the last few weeks, though.

Sita

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 08:36:13 PMI'm not saying SHUT UP, I'm just saying put yourself in Cain's shoes.
I did, which is why I didn't make a comment on his response to me.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on January 29, 2013, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 29, 2013, 08:36:13 PMI'm not saying SHUT UP, I'm just saying put yourself in Cain's shoes.
I did, which is why I didn't make a comment on his response to me.

Oh, okay.

The problem with this sort of thing is that the medium doesn't become the message so much as the medium flattens the message.  Communication becomes impossible, and it's Mutual Assured Butthurt whenever anyone objects to something, or objects to the objection.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on January 29, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 27, 2013, 05:51:52 PM
never mind, thread ruined.

:?
I always just skip the holist shit.

Me too. Unless it's his thread, in which case I might mock him in passing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."