News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Culinary Theory

Started by Jasper, October 01, 2010, 10:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

So I've been thinking.  I know there are good ways to juxtapose flavor, aroma, texture, and color in pleasing ways, but can any clever chaps give me some hints as to how to do it with temperature?  It seems a bit trickier.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 01, 2010, 10:51:19 PM
So I've been thinking.  I know there are good ways to juxtapose flavor, aroma, texture, and color in pleasing ways, but can any clever chaps give me some hints as to how to do it with temperature?  It seems a bit trickier.

I've found that a blowtorch lends an ambiance to a meal that is difficult to achieve any other way.
Molon Lube

Jasper

All is well, Sig.  As long as there's no elvis in the thread, things can't go too wrong...

:elvis:

Triple Zero

Well, first thing I can think of, there's the Dame Blanche dessert. Which is basically vanilla icecream with hot melted chocolate sauce.

And varieties thereof. (like caramelized reduced orange juice syrup on .. umm .. chocolate icecream)

Also I believe I heard people speak about deep-fried icecream. Which would be a ball of icecream, battered, deep-fried very quickly.

And of course Flambé.

I can't really come up with anything outside of dessert territory, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Yeah, ice cream is all I could think of.

What about a really warm drink (like hot cider) mixed with something cold, like Okróshka?

Can anyone imagine that for me?  I haven't had Okróshka for as long as I can remember.

Nast

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 02, 2010, 02:41:36 AM
Yeah, ice cream is all I could think of.

What about a really warm drink (like hot cider) mixed with something cold, like Okróshka?

Can anyone imagine that for me?  I haven't had Okróshka for as long as I can remember.

I don't like it when my food and beverage are very different temperatures. Something about it upsets my stomach.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Hmm, yeah.  I hadn't considered that.  I must enjoy it, because I like cold beer with hot pizza, hot coffee with cold cereal, etc.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think I see where you are going now. It's not really anything I've considered other than dessert stuff, as 000 pointed out.

Maybe heated salsa with cold sour cream? For nachos and shit. I'll think more on this.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

Heated salsa is interesting.

I wonder how corn chips taste when frozen.

Rumckle

What about something such as cool salsa on a piece of grilled fish or chicken?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Jasper

That would work.

I just tried frozen corn chips with hot (warm and spicy) bean dip.  It was interesting, and not bad.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 02, 2010, 08:53:57 PM

Reverse this FTW. With black bean salsa. Except don't freeze the salsa.

AFK

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 02, 2010, 08:53:57 PM

amaizing. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Jasper