News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

21C Man, Part 17: What do you get when you fuck with us?

Started by Doktor Howl, May 04, 2015, 04:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

The kid and Shannon sat across from Tim and me at the IHOP, while Mark - as the new guy - sat out in the car keeping an eye on the joint.  Shannon had dried up some, but was plainly a bundle of nerves, and the kid was equally edgy.  All those millions of years of programs, telling him he had to protect Shannon and be SEEN as the guy protecting Shannon.  Heh.

"So," I said, picking up my coffee mug for a sip, "tell me what the problem is."  The idea of picking up the coffee mug is, of course, that they can't see you smile behind it, if you can manage to keep the smile small.  "Bear in mind," I continued, "that after we leave, there's absolutely nothing we can do to help, so this is your one chance and you have to come clean."

They sat for a moment, and then Shannon blurted out "He wants to fuck me."

Tim looked at the kid, then looked at her.  "Well, obviously, he is your boyfriend."

"No, not him!  His FATHER."

"What?"

"It's why we ran," the kid said, "my dad is fixated on Shannon.  I mean, total creeper fixated.  He started talking to her when I wasn't around, then offered her rides places."

"That was creepy enough," Shannon broke in, "But then he bought me something from Victoria's Secret."

Tim was turning an interesting color.  "How old are you, Shannon?"

"I'll be 15 next month."

Tim's color did more interesting things.  "Our client is 45 years old," he said to me.  I nodded.

"So when you ran..."

"I knew I had to unload the phone quick," the kid said, "I just didn't expect that scumbag to fuck us over.  He's been friendly enough until now."

"So, your drug dealer was your friend, you imagined?" Tim was looking at him incredulously.

"Relax, Tim, they're kids, and you know they don't have the kids watch or read Pinocchio anymore.  Babes in the woods.  Not the issue at any rate.  The kid shows the beginnings of good sense.  Ditch the GPS in a manner that will lead any pursuers on a wild goose chase.  It would have worked just fine, if we hadn't started so quickly, or if the scumbags were in a hurry.  In any case, what do we do now?  We can't turn the kids back over to the pervert without any sort of insurance."

Tim smiled.  Both kids shrank back; it was a predatory smile, the sort of smile you'd see last if someone dropped you in a shark tank.

"Oh, we know what to do, Boss.  You and I have experience in this sort of thing."

Realizing what he was talking about, I smiled, too.  Then we both started laughing.  More of a snicker, really.

The kids did not seem reassured.  They should have.

To be concluded

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Sorry for the short one.  I am in a position in which I will be interrupted continually, so I need to keep 'em short.  Conclusion shortly.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Aucoq

Wow! That was not what I was expecting.  I can't wait to read the conclusion.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Aucoq on May 04, 2015, 06:26:09 PM
Wow! That was not what I was expecting.  I can't wait to read the conclusion.

I just posted it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 04, 2015, 06:28:38 PM
Jesus. That's a bit of a mess.

Ain't it, though?  There are some days when I feel the world is nothing but pervs and bastards.

This job really brings out my dark side.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2015, 06:29:55 PM

Ain't it, though?  There are some days when I feel the world is nothing but pervs and bastards.

What's the new job going to be all about? More of the same? I think you talked about it a little but my memory is leaky.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 04, 2015, 06:36:30 PM

What's the new job going to be all about? More of the same? I think you talked about it a little but my memory is leaky.

Not really sure, that's why I haven't jumped ship yet.  The new company wants me, but they aren't sure if I should be the field service manager, or sales/service engineer.  Which doesn't require being an actual engineer.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Ugh. I had a feeling it was leading us here. Because the night is dark, and full of terrors.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 04, 2015, 06:48:09 PM
Ugh. I had a feeling it was leading us here. Because the night is dark, and full of terrors.

Even when there's no night.  Like in Phoenix.

I think you read them in backwards order. 

ETA:  NM.  I thought you'd already commented on 18.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Nope. I'm old school, I read and commented on them in real time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2015, 06:40:39 PM

Not really sure, that's why I haven't jumped ship yet.  The new company wants me, but they aren't sure if I should be the field service manager, or sales/service engineer.  Which doesn't require being an actual engineer.

Yeaahhhhhhh what IS a "sales/service engineer"? That smells like a trap.

Field manager sounds awesome though.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 12:43:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2015, 06:40:39 PM

Yeaahhhhhhh what IS a "sales/service engineer"? That smells like a trap.

Field manager sounds awesome though.

It's actually a thing, and it's an established position.  Both positions opened via the retiring of the people who had them before.  Basically, when a salesman gets in trouble, you figure out how to dig him out.

And when a machine is having consistent problems, you find a workaround.

And when everything is good, you train apprentices.

It's higher pay than the field service manager, and more of what I want to do.  It's what I do now, more or less, but without all the budgetary shit.
Molon Lube