News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Pie or Cake?

Started by theCalmpsychopath, April 02, 2007, 09:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which is better Pie or Cake

Pie
Cake

Cramulus

Boston. Cream. Pie.

EOT

Triple Zero

*image searches*

ok first off, why is this still called a pie? cause it looks like a cake to me?

and, maybe apart from this one: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cake/all_chocolate_boston_cream_pie_recipe.html

the chocolate cake on the previous page still totally PWNs that boston cream cake.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?!?!!?

some pies are awesome, some cakes are awesome.

I LIKE BOTH

Triple Zero

well pies can be *good*, but can never approach the ultimate chocolate death of cakes such as displayed on the previous page.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Jasper

Then along came chocolate torte and the end of the thread was nigh.

Triple Zero

Sachertorte = Chocolate Cake.

pretty good stuff, but not really worth its price.

Jasper

There is chocolate torte out there so good that it will actually enlighten you temporarily.

Triple Zero

but it falls under the category of "cake", doesn't it?

Jasper

I think torte is it's own category.

Triple Zero

well "torte" is the german word for "pie", where "kuche" is the word for both "cookie" and "cake".

on the other hand, i would call the chocolate cake on last page a "chocoladetaart" ( = torte) and not a "chocoladecake" because here pies (taart) are round and cakes (cakes) are made of spongy stuff and rectangular shaped.

(and cookie is "koekje")

which makes this whole discussion a bit useless, as i have actually no idea what we're talking about, because that boston cream pie, looks pretty much like a cake to me, according to the english definition of the word?

wikipedia sez:

A torte is a cake made with many eggs and usually ground nuts or even bread crumbs instead of or in addition to flour.[1] Tortes are Central European in origin. The word torte is derived from the German word "Torte" (pronounced [ˈtoʀtə]), which was derived from the Italian word torta which was used to describe a round cake or bread. [2]

A pie is a baked food, with a baked shell usually made of pastry dough that covers or completely contains a filling of fruit, meat, fish, vegetables, cheeses, creams, chocolate, custards, nuts, or other sweet or savoury ingredients. Pies can be either "filled", where a dish is covered by pastry and the filling is placed on top of that, "top-crust," where the filling is placed in a dish and covered with a pastry/potato mash top before baking, or "two-crust," with the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell.

Just like bread, cakes rise in the oven because of many thousands of air bubbles. As cakes and breads rise in the oven, the air bubbles expand. This is why the cake batter expands in the pan (often to twice its original size). There are two ways of forming the air bubbles, which create different types of cakes. Almost every kind of cake belongs to one of these families.

THEN

to confuse the matter even more, the wikipedia page about Cake doesn't quite describe what's a cake and what is not ans ALSO if you click on "Nederlands" (to go to dutch wikipedia) it goes to "Taart" (Torte = PIE) and "Deutsch" directs you to "Kuchen" ( = Cookie or Cake) ...

does this make sense still?

one more question remains, the Bostom Cream "Pie" does it have a shell? and i dont mean icing made of chocolate, but an actual shell made of dough? cause that seems to be the discriminatory property of PIE VERSUS CAKE .. which makes the Boston Cream Pie a CAKE,

meaning that all people who used to Boston Cream "Pie" as a demonstation of Pie's so-called superiority over Cake a bunch of SPAGS.

so there.

Jasper

Well argued.

So torte AND Boston cream pie swell the ranks of cake?  As well as cookies?

WELL THEN. 

Cramulus

Quote from: mian tiao noodle on February 17, 2008, 06:29:19 PM
CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?!?!!?

some pies are awesome, some cakes are awesome.

I LIKE BOTH

NO. YOU MUST LIKE PIE OR YOU'RE AN MORAN

Cainad (dec.)

FUCK ALL OF YOU!

MY DIABETIC AUNTIE MARGARET DIED FROM EATING A PIE FILLED WITH CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKES

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Cainad on February 17, 2008, 11:17:26 PM
FUCK ALL OF YOU!

MY DIABETIC AUNTIE MARGARET DIED FROM EATING A PIE FILLED WITH CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKES
If I get to pick the way I die, this is most definitely going to be one of the options I'll consider.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

tyrannosaurus vex

Dear Thread,

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Love & Kisses,
Zaphod.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.