News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Carl Jung's Red Book (aka Liber Novus)

Started by DiscoUkulele, July 29, 2010, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

I went ahead and got a copy. the damn thing is bigger than my head.
Personally, I've always been incredibly interested in Jung's archetypes and his work that influenced the personality types.

I stopped reading Liber Novus for now and am currently working on The Gnostic Jung which contains his Seven Sermons to the Dead.

So far it has been an interesting read on Jungian psychology with Gnostic teachings. It compares and analyzes Jung's gnostic mythological references and psychological interpretations of the work.

DiscoUkulele

Quote from: Risus on August 05, 2010, 11:31:24 PM
Personally, I've always been incredibly interested in Jung's archetypes and his work that influenced the personality types.

I stopped reading Liber Novus for now and am currently working on The Gnostic Jung which contains his Seven Sermons to the Dead.

So far it has been an interesting read on Jungian psychology with Gnostic teachings. It compares and analyzes Jung's gnostic mythological references and psychological interpretations of the work.

Awesome. I've been meaning to read that. I'm gonna have to look for it now.
You shouldn't let poets lie to you.
                                 - Bjork

Triple Zero

what, a dead tree version for $120 ?? it sounds a littlebit terribly overpriced to me, even if it's bigger than your head.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

When I hear things about Freud and Jung, I realize just how far psychiatry is from psychology and science in general.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

well, yeah. over here it is based upon another 4 year study/practice upon regular medicine. which, although taught at a university, makes it a craft, not a science. nothing wrong with that though.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 06, 2010, 09:06:41 PM
well, yeah. over here it is based upon another 4 year study/practice upon regular medicine. which, although taught at a university, makes it a craft, not a science. nothing wrong with that though.

The problem with it not being science is, of course, that much of it turns out to be wrong, and that the workers involved are less likely to question their beliefs.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Yes but the good thing about it is that it's an actual craft.

Chairman Risus

Still reading The Gnostic Jung. Decided to look up the author, Stephan Hoeller.
One of the things I've appreciated about this Gnostic Jungian world view is the stress placed upon individuation-

QuoteIn developmental psychology - particularly analytical psychology - individuation is the process through which a person becomes his/her 'true self'. Hence it is the process whereby the innate elements of personality; the different experiences of a person's life and the different aspects and components of the immature psyche become integrated over time into a well-functioning whole. Individuation might thus be summarised as the stabilizing of the personality.
[bold mine]

a process in which you become more of a "whole" person, described in The Gnostic Jung in ways that remind me of the Discordian "Think for yourself, schmuck."

Incidentally, while researching Stephan Hoeller, I came across this quotation on his wikipedia page, in which he describes his understanding of Gnosticism.
QuoteI think we could describe it as a very early form of Christianity, very different in many respects from what Christianity became later on. It is much more individualistic. It is much more orientated toward the personal, spiritual advancement and transformation of the individual, regarding figures such as Jesus as being helpers rather than sacrificial saviors. It is a form of religion that has a much more ecumenical and universal scope in terms of its relationship to spiritual, religious traditions other than the Christian.

I would say that this appears to be, as far as Gnosticism is concerned, the time that the Greeks called the kairos, the time when the Gods are reborn. We live in an age, I think, when certain timeless ideas, which have been submerged and subdued for a long time, are making their appearance once again. In that respect we're living in very interesting times as the Chinese would say. Interesting times, spiritually powerful times, always cast a great shadow. There will also be great difficulties, but I think that Gnostic traditions, along with a number of kindred ideas, are being reborn at this time, and will have a significant influence in the future. Those of us who find ourselves working within that field are singularly blessed that we can do this work at this particular time. So I feel I'm at the right place and at the right time and I am profoundly grateful for all of that.
[bold, underline mine]

I just thought the synchronicity was interesting, what with "The Interesting Times" being thrown around here often, and would encourage anyone whose interest is piqued to look more into this sort of thing.
Also, if anyone knows where I could find an electronic copy of The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead by Stephan Hoeller, could they let me know?