News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett

Started by Slarti, November 03, 2003, 01:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Commander

When is his next book due out?

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

riff

a new one just came out recently... think it's called "Monstrous Regiment"
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

The Commander

Do you have a copy?  Can I borrow it?

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

riff

I don't how accurate it is or where I got it, but I have the impression that it was written for a slightly younger, more teenagery audience.  So I've been waiting for the paperback.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

Lister

Hell I like every book with Vimes in it, he is just teh roxxorz.
Especially Night Watch, it was so perfect I almost cried...
(but you really have to have read the entire preceding series before you can truly appreciate it...)

By the way, I just discovered that I have all his books up till Thief Of Time (nr 26) somewhere on my harddrive, but I can't remember ever downloading it...
Having the occasional "memory black hole" really brings the best surprises :-)
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

Tallgeese

I recommend Small Gods as the best TP starting point. It requires no knowledge of the rest of the Discworld books, but introduces the reader quite well. Then I'd get Men at Arms.
"What?"
-Richard M. Nixon

Efrim

Rev. Roger and I have both read Good Omens, which TP co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. I think I can safely say that we both strongly reccomend it.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Bella

Thanks. That sounds like a good one.
I've been wanting some new reading material.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Efrim

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomThanks. That sounds like a good one.

I'd also reccomend pretty much anything ever written by Gaiman. Espically the Sandman epic and the novel American Gods.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Bella

Quote from: Efrim
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomThanks. That sounds like a good one.

I'd also reccomend pretty much anything ever written by Gaiman. Espically the Sandman epic and the novel American Gods.
I got American Gods for Christmas. It's one of the best things I've ever read.
just like in a dream

Efrim

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI got American Gods for Christmas. It's one of the best things I've ever read.

Thats great. It really is a wonderful book. I love Gaiman's treatment of mythology. Too bad Eris didn't make it in the book  :wink:

You must read the Sandman. It is at the very top of my essential reading list and if you already enjoyed something by Gaiman you will love the Sandman. I introduced it to Roger before I left for Europe and he has not stoped talking about it since.

L,
Efrim

Bella

My daughter has that one. I'll go borrow it today, thanks.
just like in a dream

Malaul

NEVERWHERE!!! GET NEVER WHERE!!!!

BEst book EVER

no onward, things to do, people to Damage,,,
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Efrim

Quote from: MalaulNEVERWHERE!!! GET NEVER WHERE!!!!

BEst book EVER

no onward, things to do, people to Damage,,,

When I got to London Neverwhere made me appreciate the tube system on a whole other level.

L,
Efrim

MaxwellsDemon

Yep, theres simply no other reason to vist the angel of islington.

"The need for mystry is greater than the need for an answer"
Ken Kesey