News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

A critique of the BIP

Started by Arafelis, June 07, 2009, 05:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arafelis

Quotedon't sweat it some of the best posters here have gotten of to a  rough start if you are smart you can make it work for you..

I knew I was in for a rocky start, but I needed to know where I was.  There's a lot you can't get from reading archives.

I'm an underemployed 20-something ex-philosophy student.  If I wasn't on a mission, I wouldn't be a stereotype.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

yatto is winning this thread, so far.

Cain

Also its amusing to note all my parts were the ones which were well recieved, yet I mostly hate them and wanted to edit them out and replace them with something interesting.

Cain

Also, posts like this make me think perhaps we should write a history of the BIP, and stick it somewhere prominent and obvious, so people know what is going on.

the last yatto

timeline...

thats kinda bikaaaw duelism
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Arafelis on June 07, 2009, 06:59:33 AM
Quotedon't sweat it some of the best posters here have gotten of to a  rough start if you are smart you can make it work for you..

I knew I was in for a rocky start, but I needed to know where I was.  There's a lot you can't get from reading archives.

I'm an underemployed 20-something ex-philosophy student.  If I wasn't on a mission, I wouldn't be a stereotype.

:lulz: Explains everything.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Well, much to my surprise, I found the critique readable and possessing some decent arguments, even if I still don't necessarily agree.

My biggest critique of the critique is that it's not very timely, but you knew that already. My second critique of the critique is :asshat:.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Arafelis on June 07, 2009, 06:28:30 AM
Quote from: fomenter on June 07, 2009, 06:18:28 AM
that one got a laugh from me..

Oh fucking thank you.  The place was starting to scare me.

The one thing you can be pretty certain of around here is that people are laughing.  The question is one of with or at.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on June 07, 2009, 06:50:04 AM
Quote from: Arafelis on June 07, 2009, 06:28:30 AM
Quote from: fomenter on June 07, 2009, 06:18:28 AM
that one got a laugh from me..

Oh fucking thank you.  The place was starting to scare me.

if you have read the archives and you act like a really real discordian, and tell us how we are doing it wrong already knowing the the kind of response that gets, it smells of sociological experiments, and having read the archives i am sure you know how much we love those...

you have walked out on some thin ice, scared is a wise response to danger. don't sweat it some of the best posters here have gotten of to a  rough start if you are smart you can make it work for you..

We'll see about THAT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm an underemployed 20-something ex-philosophy student. 

Explains everything.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

fomenter

i am being nice (50 post nice) i am not putting any money on him succeeding, but no harm in encouraging him to try..

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2009, 06:14:19 PM

Explains everything.
very much so
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Countercritisisms:

1) This is actually my favorite part of the BIP.  For years i heard and accepted that *other* people were fucked up monkeys who can't see reality as it is.  This piece here is what finally forced me to accepted that *all* people are that way, including me.

I also don't really see it as the same as Plato's cave.  The metaphors are similar, but the point is entirely different.  Plato was talking people seeing shadows, imitations, of these fancy ideal forms, to him a chair is really a shadow of some mystic ideal chair.  In the BIP that chair is a shadow of what people think a chair is, that the platonic forms exist solely inside our head.

Also: I point out that Cain and I are also underemployed 20 something ex philosophy students.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Roaring Biscuit!

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2009, 06:14:19 PM

Explains everything.

Quote from: Nigel on June 07, 2009, 04:10:17 PM

:lulz: Explains everything.

aww you guys are so adorable.  you're like ickle hate-twins  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia on June 07, 2009, 06:19:59 PM
Countercritisisms:

1) This is actually my favorite part of the BIP.  For years i heard and accepted that *other* people were fucked up monkeys who can't see reality as it is.  This piece here is what finally forced me to accepted that *all* people are that way, including me.

I also don't really see it as the same as Plato's cave.  The metaphors are similar, but the point is entirely different.  Plato was talking people seeing shadows, imitations, of these fancy ideal forms, to him a chair is really a shadow of some mystic ideal chair.  In the BIP that chair is a shadow of what people think a chair is, that the platonic forms exist solely inside our head.

Also: I point out that Cain and I are also underemployed 20 something ex philosophy students.

Cain was a foreign relations student.  Not quite the same thing.

Also, you two didn't take any "special time" to sneer at everyone else on the site before stating your case.