News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

I Must Know More, For There Must Be No More.

Started by The Wizard Joseph, October 02, 2015, 06:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 02, 2015, 10:08:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 09:39:14 PM
What's interesting is that it's not going to be the future that saves you from your own head.  No, it's the ancient things mankind has always done when faced with a stark, cold universe that doesn't give a shit if we live or die.  We create art, we sing, we dance badly.  In fact, I would say that last one is the most important of the bunch.  Dancing is social, even if you're doing it alone, AND it gets the blood pumping, which by itself improves your mindset.

Pop music, for another example, is probably the best thing that ever happened to the human race.  It isn't "artistically significant".  It isn't high culture.  It DOES, though, make people feel good...Especially at the ages in which you are most likely to explode (teens and 40s). 

I don't feel that it is a coincidence that the people who do these things were always "the quiet, polite" boy next door.  If they'd been encouraged to lose their shit on the dance floor - wherever that may be, the club or the shower - they might not have been as likely to give up.

:mittens:

The truth right here. Lots to reply to ITT when I can, but I think this has got to be a part of the any possible solution.

It is very akin to the spirit behind the fictional Telos Foundation I did a brief write up on here a while back. Existential Despair Syndrome is a fiction that I suspect mirrors a very real problem.

Lunch is past over. Back later.

Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it's THE solution.  Just an important part of one.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 07:55:02 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 02, 2015, 07:12:45 PM
Right? From the stock of extra women, just assigned one by the Powers That Be.

Yes.  We don't tell the fedora crowd that we have a warehouse full of bootie.  Round, perfect bootie.

Then you have to ask yourself, "How much domestic violence/killings occur because a fucktard DID get a girlfriend?"

This exactly.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 05:14:40 PM

I have always espoused 2nd amendment rights, but it is beginning to occur to me that the organizations that support firearm ownership get a little gleeful when things like this happen; as if it is a vindication of their beliefs in some manner.  As if this were expected.  And it is.  Two school shootings in one day isn't worth remarking on.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/09/30/s-dakota-high-school-principal-shot-wounded-students-safe

Went hunting for more about the second shooting. There's little hype comparatively and NO articles I've found so far that are asking the question "So what does it mean when 2 entirely unrelated school shootings happen in 1 day?"

It's almost like the story is being treated as unimportant because, it so happens, nobody died. It seems to me that the narrative of "2 shootings on the same day" is being entirely avoided. I wander into conspiracy theory if I suggest intent. It could be, but I don't think intent is necessarily what's happening.

I think we've gotten to the point where an attempted murder just doesn't raise flags anymore. It should though. I think the system is truly in shock and unable to process properly.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Meunster

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2015, 08:43:28 PM

I have always espoused 2nd amendment rights, but it is beginning to occur to me that the organizations that support firearm ownership get a little gleeful when things like this happen; as if it is a vindication of their beliefs in some manner.  As if this were expected.  And it is.  Two school shootings in one day isn't worth remarking on.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/09/30/s-dakota-high-school-principal-shot-wounded-students-safe

Went hunting for more about the second shooting. There's little hype comparatively and NO articles I've found so far that are asking the question "So what does it mean when 2 entirely unrelated school shootings happen in 1 day?"

It's almost like the story is being treated as unimportant because, it so happens, nobody died. It seems to me that the narrative of "2 shootings on the same day" is being entirely avoided. I wander into conspiracy theory if I suggest intent. It could be, but I don't think intent is necessarily what's happening.

I think we've gotten to the point where an attempted murder just doesn't raise flags anymore. It should though. I think the system is truly in shock and unable to process properly.

Even the opposite is true, the person with the highest kill count in a mass shooting is never brought up. When they talk about deadly shootings. Execpt to mention why no one brings him up.
Poe's law ;)

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Meunster on October 04, 2015, 09:07:13 PM

Even the opposite is true, the person with the highest kill count in a mass shooting is never brought up. When they talk about deadly shootings. Execpt to mention why no one brings him up.

I don't quite grasp what you mean. Do you mean comparatively from shooting to shooting?

The whole point I'm making is that we seem to register a minimal "score" of sorts now rather than taking any individual instance of intent as a part of the whole. problem.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Meunster

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 04, 2015, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: Meunster on October 04, 2015, 09:07:13 PM

I don't quite grasp what you mean. Do you mean comparatively from shooting to shooting?

The whole point I'm making is that we seem to register a minimal "score" of sorts now rather than taking any individual instance of intent as a part of the whole. problem.

Sorry was at work so I wasn't able to fully flesh out my ideas. Was just saying that the lack of hype from the shooting where no one died is comparable to how some of the higher kill count shootings are talked about now. Like even though they've happened just a few years ago no one in the news even mentions them. They only mention the Columbine kids, movie theater kid, and the child school shooter. Ones like Cho who killed 32, despite only happening 7 years ago are glossed over because they don't have any shock value. The oregan shooter only has his religious spin. His /r9k/ post, and also how he was carrying the 3 most wanted banned guns is conspiracy theoryish (but I'm not crazy enough to believe shit like that). It'll probably be glossed over too in a few years. Which is scary.

Guess I was saying the kill count doesn't matter it's more the shock value and how the news can spin it. Kinda like how ebola isn't in the news anymore. Saying that there doesn't have to be a minimal score, just they have to do something new.
Poe's law ;)