News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Plant Watering Reminder Gadget

Started by Cramulus, June 07, 2016, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

The plants in my apartment kept dying, mainly because my girlfriend and I kept assuming the other one had watered them. So I invented a little gadget that tells us when the plants need to be watered. It's super simple.

The gadget has 3 buttons and 3 LEDs. Each pair is linked to one of the plants in my apartment.

It's only a timer, it doesn't detect soil moisture or anything crazy like that. When a light turns on, it signifies that one of the plants needs to be watered. When somebody waters it, we'll press the button, and it'll reset the counter.

This fun little gadget only cost about $20 to make. It was a lot of fun to build!

Q. G. Pennyworth

Cramulus

Arduino Uno + 3 LEDs + 3 buttons + 6 resistors

The Wizard Joseph

That's neat! I used to work in electronic hand assembly and repair, years back. I never understood the science of design or the finer points of electronic theory. I just performed minor miracles of construction and repair. The craft of it is great fun if you have some patience and a steady hand. I used to think of it as "Zen gardening with hot lead."

I like your device idea. I'm uncertain that it's accurate, but I heard that if you flip the polarity on certain types of LED you can improvise a photo sensor. If the device won't sound without a certain light threshold it could help to prevent the thing from waking folks if the plant happens to get dry overnight. Then the plants become a sort of alarm clock and they get the water right when they need it to make food.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

You know what we do to people who build clocks at home, right?  This was widely broadcast in every media.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on June 08, 2016, 07:19:58 PM
Yeah, but Cram's white.

How long do you suppose that will matter?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO

Bwana Honolulu

His Quasaric Sphericity Bwana Honolulu,
Supremest Commander of Suicide Commando Ω−,
Ruler of everything, everything else and nothing again,
Greatgrandpapapope and Metagodemperor in Zimmer523,
Grand Admiracle of the mounted naval cavalry at sea,
Reichsminister für Popularpodicifikation,
Keeper of the holy Q.

Cramulus

I built this thing at my desk at work. No less than four people asked me if what I was building was "dangerous".

-Two of them were asking tongue-in-cheek
-The other two seemed weirdly hopeful that it was

Junkenstein

The only correct answer is "no" followed by maniacal laughter.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on June 09, 2016, 03:09:55 PM
I built this thing at my desk at work. No less than four people asked me if what I was building was "dangerous".

-Two of them were asking tongue-in-cheek
-The other two seemed weirdly hopeful that it was

Tell them if someone doesn't press the button once a day it will result in botanical desiccation with a scared look on your face.
Sleepless nights at the chateau