News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, February 07, 2010, 07:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

An Error Has Occurred!

Jasper

I'm not NASA's friend unless they have a moon colony.  In my opinion, they've rested on their laurels since the original big push, and haven't done anything seriously exciting for a while.

Aside from the occasional space probe.  But, you know, that sort of thing should be routine by now.

Captain Utopia

Is there any time since 1969, when NASA haven't been underfunded?  Pretty much the biggest complaints I've heard about NASA are the way they buckle to congress in order to ensure they don't experience more cuts, but presumably, if the uncertainty of funding wasn't a constant carrot/stick.. then they could spend more time working on science and less time worrying about appearances and politics.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I wonder if it would be legal for them to seek donations from Bigelow Aerospace &c... (Bigelow Aerospace is a private company that is best known for building inflatable satellites, producing an economy version of the Ares V, and having all the Air Force's ufo sighting reports outsourced to them).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 07, 2010, 12:17:36 PM
I'm not NASA's friend unless they have a moon colony.  In my opinion, they've rested on their laurels since the original big push, and haven't done anything seriously exciting for a while.

Aside from the occasional space probe.  But, you know, that sort of thing should be routine by now.
Whoa whoa whoa!  Hubble isn't seriously exciting???
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on February 07, 2010, 04:38:17 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on February 07, 2010, 12:17:36 PM
I'm not NASA's friend unless they have a moon colony.  In my opinion, they've rested on their laurels since the original big push, and haven't done anything seriously exciting for a while.

Aside from the occasional space probe.  But, you know, that sort of thing should be routine by now.
Whoa whoa whoa!  Hubble isn't seriously exciting???

Don't get me wrong, anything that leaves the planet is pretty cool, but what excites me about space is actually going there.  I want to experience microgravity, I want to stare into space without an atmosphere in the way.  I want to play basketball on the moon.

Anything less is, for me, a disappointment.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I kind of want people to have places to live, access to medical care, and enough to eat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

So, we shouldn't go into space until we've ended the plight of our not-flying-into-space people?

I mean, in a perfect world all that war money we've spent probably could have ended world hunger, but whatev.  Let's criticize NASA instead.

Seems wrong to go after space funding when so much money is wasted on killing people.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 07, 2010, 06:20:58 PM
I kind of want people to have places to live, access to medical care, and enough to eat.
unobtainable goal.
give people that and they make more people.
more people means the goal becomes unobtainable.

i applaud your ethics but not your logic.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Regret on February 07, 2010, 07:06:03 PM
unobtainable goal.

Actually population growth levels off after a certain point is reached.

www.un.org/esa/population/publications/sixbillion/sixbilpart1.pdf

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on February 07, 2010, 07:09:35 PM
unobtainable goal.

Actually population growth levels off after a certain point is reached.

www.un.org/esa/population/publications/sixbillion/sixbilpart1.pdf

...and our economy is dependent on continued exponential growth.

That'll end well. :|
Formerly something else...

Jasper

No!  We could, ah, CHANGE IT!

YES!  We could change the fundamentals of our economy.  Which are strong as it is.  Yes.

Bruno

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 07, 2010, 07:16:51 PM
No!  We could, ah, CHANGE IT!

YES!  We could change the fundamentals of our economy.  Which are strong as it is.  Yes.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!1

WE NEEDS MOAR PLANETZZZZ!!!!!!ⁿ√·∙·∙°≈÷⌡⌠≤≥±≡

Actually, I've thought about this, and the obvious best solution is genetic. I won't go into details here, but it involves lots of sex with pygmies.
Formerly something else...

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Mass starvation is a good mechanism for leveling off population growth.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

unobtainable goal.

A. I didn't present any logic whatsoever in my post, so there isn't any to applaud or not applaud in the first place.
B. The highest population growth occurs in the poorest and least-educated countries.
C. What Cain said.
D. It's true, solving the obstacle of having a growth-based economy is beyond me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."