News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Potential Prosecution of Pope in UK

Started by Chairman Risus, April 16, 2010, 01:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

QuoteDawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

The pair believe they can exploit the same legal principle used to arrest Augusto Pinochet, the late Chilean dictator, when he visited Britain in 1998.

The Pope was embroiled in new controversy this weekend over a letter he signed arguing that the "good of the universal church" should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys. It was dated 1985, when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases.

My personal opinion? I would love to see this actually work.

Chairman Risus

Honestly, this whole affair comes off as more of a publicity stunt, and will likely be received by most as such.

Most people will probably see this and think "What? That's ridiculous. You can't arrest the Pope."

But why not? I'm all for calling out this long standing hypocrisy. I'm really hoping something like this will happen and things will get shaken up.

NotPublished

I would love to see this happen. A pope arrested ... dreams come true.

Imagine how many people would get their knickers in a knot
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Jasper

WHERE IS YOUR  PAPAL INFALLIBILITY NOW?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Placid Dingo

Papal Infallability only extends to matters of Theology.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Kai

Quote from: Placid Dingo on April 16, 2010, 11:00:14 AM
Papal Infallability only extends to matters of Theology.

Theology can be extended to all matters, if you're the Pope.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Richter

Given the history the Catholic v. Protestant, such a declaration could not  be seen as entirely unbiased, though.  Also considering it's being privately funded, it will may almost certainly be colored as religious persecution.  I believe this is jsut shit - stirring.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

President Television

I think Dawkins is sort of being a giant asshole here, but I would love to see this actually go through, if only because I'm extremely curious as to how well a Pope would survive prison.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cramulus

yeah this isn't going anywhere

any criminal charges are going to the priest, not his boss

and the entire ordained catholic community is poised to take a bullet for the pope if possible

he's not going to resign - after all, he's the Infallable Chosen One.

Bruno

Has anyone ever (Catholic priest or otherwise) gone to prison for covering up child molestation?

Couldn't we build a case here in the US using the RICO act, specifically, those concerning obstruction of justice, and sexual exploitation of a minor?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001961----000-.html
Formerly something else...

Requia ☣

I think you could build an accessory case against anybody who knew about the abuse but kept quiet.

This would include the families of the victims in many cases though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on April 16, 2010, 09:32:09 PM
I think Dawkins is sort of being a giant asshole here

I like giant assholes - when they're pointed at the pope.

Quote from: Cramulus on April 16, 2010, 09:51:57 PMand the entire ordained catholic community is poised to take a bullet for the pope if possible

If someone takes the fall, then there is some victory.

If nobody takes the fall, how will that make them look?

This is one of those no-lose situations.

wudgar

I don't think Briton has the balls for this kind of thing anymore. That said, I would dearly love to see it happen.
Shameless whoring; www.zazzle.com/wudgar