News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Foucault's Pendulum

Started by Cain, March 01, 2006, 12:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault%27s_Pendulum

Has anyone here read this?  It looks like good mindfucking material, in the vein of Illuminatus!, by the Italian philosopher Umberto Eco.  Or a cross between that and the Da Vinci Code, only with a much deeper knowledge of the symbology than that hack Brown.  I'm going to check on Amazon for it.

LHX

i started reading it last summer

it seemed decent if you got some time to commit to something

one of those really long jokes with a good payoff
neat hell

East Coast Hustle

I started reading it once when I didn't have the proper time and energy to commit to it. Probably read it again this spring after the local college gets out and it's dead as fuck for a month or two.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mangrove

i've not read it, but a good friend of mine is a big fan. he was pretty mad when 'da vinci code' came out. he said it was 'foucaults pendulum' for dummies.

i would like to check it out myself sometime as it looks like the sort of thing i'd get into. still, at this point in my life, i don't have the time to read novels.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Sonick Elevator Backdrop

Quote from: CainHas anyone here read this?
Yes. I highly recommend reading it and peruse Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow right after for good measure.

As for the comparison to Illuminatus!, I would say it's more like Masks of the Illuminati if I absolutely had to compare it to something in that vein.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit

Cain

I havent read MotI, so I'll have to take your word for it.  Still havent ordered it, problems with Amazon and moving make for bad reading of new books.

LMNO

In a way, it's one of the most interesting books he's written, 'cuz it's a whodunnit involving James Joyce, Einstien, and Crowley.

Although, it still has that stream of conciousness/extreme bullshit ending.

Sonick Elevator Backdrop

Quote from: LMNOIn a way, it's one of the most interesting books he's written, 'cuz it's a whodunnit involving James Joyce, Einstien, and Crowley.
Masks of the Illuminati that is, not Foucault's Pendulum, just for the sake of clarity.:wink: I agree. Out of all of Pope Bob's novels I personally like Masks the best.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit

Sweety

yeah good book, though some of the beginning borders on boredom (the 80s computer stuff); in general Eco tends to babble a bit (doesnt obviously edit much out), anyway, quite ok stuff- and: for the insiders who know about the occult: a few mistakes can be found therein, too (cool huh)...(about Crowley cant remember exactly what it was)...btw, "Umberto" himself is a bore: I attended one of his linguistic lectures in Milano and nearly fell asleep (and hes also completely full of himself)- anyway, I loved those south american scenes and that gentleman-magus type, some good quotes etc...
(I'm a tiny girl.)²

nurbldoff

I've read it, and while I don't think I'd recommend it to just anyone, I'd say it's eccellent discordian reading. I guess most people would be too impatient for it; the tempo is mostly pretty low and there are endless hints at stuff all the time (even more than in illuminatus), but I liked it a lot. I've been planning to read some more Eco sometime but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also agree that Masks is a neat one. And I actually liked the ending!
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?