News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Why are you here?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2008, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ternechto

What's an alt?

I'm also here to befriend someone who knows more about internet anonymity than I do, so I can learn to be less accessible. Like I said, I'm paranoid. The healthy kind.

AFK

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 20, 2008, 08:43:56 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 20, 2008, 08:39:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 20, 2008, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 20, 2008, 07:30:42 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest.  If it weren't for certain individuals/personalities I probably would've completely dropped off the map awhile ago.  My productivity/creativity here has been sparse for the last few/several months.  It's not that I'm not interested in this stuff anymore.  For whatever reason, I don't have the same spark I had when the BIP happened.  I have little flashes here and there, and I'm hoping this magazine development will help get that going again.  

So are you saying that you're here to contribute something meaningful to a collaborative project, and you're unsatisfied with your experience because you are not currently in a creative/productive headspace?

Because I think it is perfectly OK to be here just to waste time at work, or whatever.

I am not suggesting it isn't OK.  In fact it was the perception that it wasn't OK, a couple of years ago, that, in part led to the exodus of some regulars to EB&G.  But for me personally, I felt a great sense of awakening and personal satisfaction when the BIP thing happened.  I also had a personal investment in it as before there was a BIP sub-forum on pd.com, there was a separate message board just for the BIP which I was the admin of.  So I have a personal attachment to that part of the history and so I do feel a little unsatisfied, on a personal level, when I'm in a dry spell.  It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else, what they are doing or not doing. 

I think on another level, I don't want to be typecast solely as "the pun guy". 

Well, personally I also typecast you as the 'lone sane anti-drug guy' if that helps  :wink:

Well, not to get off on a tangent, I'm not really anti-drug, I'm anti-drug-addiction.  But thanks just the same.    :)
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Quote from: ternechto on November 20, 2008, 09:11:15 PM
What's an alt?

I'm also here to befriend someone who knows more about internet anonymity than I do, so I can learn to be less accessible. Like I said, I'm paranoid. The healthy kind.

You are on the internet, you are not anonymous.

That said, this article will interest you http://cryptogon.com/?p=624

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 20, 2008, 09:15:39 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on November 20, 2008, 08:43:56 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest.  If it weren't for certain individuals/personalities I probably would've completely dropped off the map awhile ago.  My productivity/creativity here has been sparse for the last few/several months.  It's not that I'm not interested in this stuff anymore.  For whatever reason, I don't have the same spark I had when the BIP happened.  I have little flashes here and there, and I'm hoping this magazine development will help get that going again.  

So are you saying that you're here to contribute something meaningful to a collaborative project, and you're unsatisfied with your experience because you are not currently in a creative/productive headspace?

Because I think it is perfectly OK to be here just to waste time at work, or whatever.

I am not suggesting it isn't OK.  In fact it was the perception that it wasn't OK, a couple of years ago, that, in part led to the exodus of some regulars to EB&G.  But for me personally, I felt a great sense of awakening and personal satisfaction when the BIP thing happened.  I also had a personal investment in it as before there was a BIP sub-forum on pd.com, there was a separate message board just for the BIP which I was the admin of.  So I have a personal attachment to that part of the history and so I do feel a little unsatisfied, on a personal level, when I'm in a dry spell.  It doesn't have anything to do with anyone else, what they are doing or not doing. 

Well, personally I also typecast you as the 'lone sane anti-drug guy' if that helps  :wink:

Well, not to get off on a tangent, I'm not really anti-drug, I'm anti-drug-addiction.  But thanks just the same.    :)

Very good... consider you re-typecastorated ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Shadowdaemon

I am here to read interesting stories. To have conversations with many differing people from time to time. To gain useful resources. To laugh. To learn. To find new ways to prank the shit out of people. And also to find my damn glasses.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2008, 11:37:00 PM
Prisons are for those who cannot exist without preying on others.

Murderers, rapists, thieves, and Halliburton execs. 

Potheads?  Meh.  All they do is sit on the couch, eating Cheetohs.

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

fomenter

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2008, 09:24:00 PM
What's an alt?

this is an awesome article/post on anonymity i would like to read more on the subject, written for the same level of Internet technology understanding
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

ternechto

What's an alt?

Great article but talk about a buzz kill. I was thinking it might be doable, but now I've got to find a shack. That will take some time.

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Quote from: ternechto on November 20, 2008, 11:41:43 PM
What's an alt?

Great article but talk about a buzz kill. I was thinking it might be doable, but now I've got to find a shack. That will take some time.

Don't let your family know where it's at or they'll turn you in.
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

nurbldoff

I'm not usually here.

But when I am, it's mostly to check out what weird stuff you guys are concocting this time.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

ternechto

Quote from: OPTIMUS PINECONE on November 20, 2008, 11:52:14 PM
Quote from: ternechto on November 20, 2008, 11:41:43 PM
What's an alt?

Don't let your family know where it's at or they'll turn you in.

Thanks for the heads up.

Now.... where's that gun??

Eater of Clowns

I'm here to have fun.  I like saying ridiculous stuff, making a lot of bad jokes, and I like it when other people do the same.  It's great when people feed off one another's nonsense. 

I've had my fill of internet arguing in my day, so if I say some stuff in a thread nobody agrees with and they ream me out, I'll probably respond in a line or two to verify that I saw it and just not bother any longer.  Be advised pd.com - this is a strictly non-serious relationship.

Then again I just started in on irc and I like that better, so I might not be here very long.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cainad (dec.)

Came for the lail, stayed for the fail, and where the heck is my puke pail?

*blarghragh* *ack*

Fucking stomach flu... makin' me rhyme dumb shit...

Anyway, I'm here to steal people's cool ideas and apply them to my own life, share a few of my own, and participate in some projects.

Triple Zero

rev, you know i love reading your puns as much as i love making them myself :) but that's not all you are to me, srsly. even though i don't participate often in those discussions, I love to hear your opinion about the social work you do, the anti-drug-addiction projects, childrens/youth projects, your opionions about what kind of factors make up a stable environment for kids / people to grow (up) in. i admire that. also the stories and pics of your kid growing up :) and your music (which i hardly ever download for which i'm sorry, i should more, but it's those myspace-y websites that make my browser and comp sluggish as fuck...) -- just sayin' :-)

as for why *I* am here:

- interesting discussions with and between very intelligent people
- an amazing amount of creative vibe, put to work in the type of zany projects I love doing so much
- watching other people troll (i followed the whole TCC debacle like a soap series, it was beautiful)
- fun, jokes, silly and hilarious humor
- helping, providing and facilitating your projects with my computer/programming/http skills (there are now quite a few more computer-knowledgeable spags on this forum, but some time ago i kinda felt i was the only one)
- WOMPing and GIMPing of silly imagery
- interesting links to interesting articles
- discussing Discordia, I learned a lot about morality and ethics from you guys, both from rants/essays but also from drama-cycles.
- dumb people getting pwnd (in moderation)
- getting to know people from another culture (American, in this case)
- keeping up with recent global events (I hardly ever read or watch the news, I get most my info via osmosis)

some of this i could also get at other fora, but not in as high quality, and definitely not all of it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

shadowfurry23

I consider Discordianism my religion, and I think it's great that my religion allows me to randomly discover new holy books. Initially I was drawn here after reading BIP.  Some of y'all's posts fall under that category too.

There seems to be a pretty intelligent crowd here, talking about some informative stuff, some useful stuff, some thought-provoking stuff and some silly stuff.  Hells, somewhere in the Recipes subforum someone's probably talking about stuffing stuff.

In addition to be amused, I can also throw things out here and get interesting commentary on them from some varied perspectives.

It's been fairly worthwhile so far.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cainad on November 21, 2008, 05:39:07 AM
Came for the lail, stayed for the fail, and where the heck is my puke pail?

*blarghragh* *ack*

Fucking stomach flu... makin' me rhyme dumb shit...

Anyway, I'm here to steal people's cool ideas and apply them to my own life, share a few of my own, and participate in some projects.

Okay, several days later, I'd like to revise this answer. The last bit is still true, but I came here and stuck around because I really like the group dynamic and the way this board is run.