News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: 50 Shades of Chronic Liver Disease

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I know I probably can't ask the details of your analysis, but is this one of those things where a negative result is helpful?

Cain

It may well be.  I was looking into how eco-terrorism was underrepresented in academic literature, and found that, actually that wasn't the case (at least by the criteria I used).  However, I needed a control, which was ethno-terrorist groups, to compare results for.

And in doing that, I discovered that the vast majority of the groups I listed for my comparison data-set were also not in fact referenced in the academic literature.  Removing those without an explicit mention reduced attacks by one-third, and cut out 90% of the groups.

Meaning the most prolific and famous groups were getting all the attention.  Meaning most researchers are lazy gits, relying on media access, proximity and older pieces of research for their papers.  Meaning they're distorting the field, through undue focus on specific groups.  The world really does not need yet another sociological analysis on the working class composition of the Provisional IRA.  But I'll bet on getting another 10 before the decade is out, because venturing out into the field is scary and stuff.

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 16, 2014, 09:33:50 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 03:00:53 AM
I just found out there's naegleria fowleri in the Colorado river.

Where we get our drinking water.

:banana:

Just don't swim in the Colorado river and you'll be fine.

Don't ruin the magic, Nigel.

Oar, always remember to pack some Thorazine with that towel :horrormirth:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on April 17, 2014, 01:36:30 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 09:34:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 16, 2014, 09:33:50 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 03:00:53 AM
I just found out there's naegleria fowleri in the Colorado river.

Where we get our drinking water.

:banana:

Just don't swim in the Colorado river and you'll be fine.

Don't ruin the magic, Nigel.

Oar, always remember to pack some Thorazine with that towel :horrormirth:

Well, thanks for acknowledging my existence.  I thought I turned invisible or some shit.

But if I was going to drug myself out of knowing my brain was being eaten by amoebas, I'd go whole hog and shoot heroin.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I've been sitting here getting pissed off about being talked around.

It occurs to me that this is symptom #2 of teh brain flukes.

Gonna fuck off until I know for sure, I think.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Oddly enough, symptom #1, headache, didn't happen.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 01:45:30 AM

Sorry, I may not have been clear.  My previous to previous post was, in part, an explanation of why I wasn't around.

And, to be fair, it is almost 3am here.  I'm working tomorrow night, which means I have to finish this research tonight.

Teh struggle is real, comrades.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 17, 2014, 01:49:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 01:45:30 AM

Sorry, I may not have been clear.  My previous to previous post was, in part, an explanation of why I wasn't around.

And, to be fair, it is almost 3am here.  I'm working tomorrow night, which means I have to finish this research tonight.

Teh struggle is real, comrades.

It wouldn't have mattered if Mother Theresa was posting, Cain.   :lol:

The problem is in my head, not in your posts.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Eater of Clowns

My friend's brother died last Friday suddenly, at home, at 31. The funeral service has a memory book to sign online, which I did, and most of the energy I would have spent on Necronomicoin today I spent on that. They also have a Life Images section. If you click on it, it reads, I shit you not, Slide 1 of Infinity.

The slide is completely black.

I think writing existential horror is fucking up my brain because that is the scariest goddamn thing.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 17, 2014, 01:58:12 AM
My friend's brother died last Friday suddenly, at home, at 31. The funeral service has a memory book to sign online, which I did, and most of the energy I would have spent on Necronomicoin today I spent on that. They also have a Life Images section. If you click on it, it reads, I shit you not, Slide 1 of Infinity.

The slide is completely black.

I think writing existential horror is fucking up my brain because that is the scariest goddamn thing.

That's fucking creepy.

Cain

That's exactly the kind of cheery thought I stayed up until 3am to hear.  Thanks, EoC.

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't think the writing is affecting you.  That gave me the horrors.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on April 17, 2014, 02:04:50 AM
That's exactly the kind of cheery thought I stayed up until 3am to hear.  Thanks, EoC.

:lulz:

Apologies.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 02:07:28 AM
I don't think the writing is affecting you.  That gave me the horrors.

This is what fucking happens when you hire Nyarlathotep as your web designer.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is uncanny.  I said fuck it and timed the commercials.  They are almost precisely 10 minutes apart (+/- 30 seconds), and there are exactly 1 per commercial break, last commercial, 6 per hour.

The level of saturation is HUGE.  The Koch Brothers must be spending a few hundred thousand in Southern Arizona alone.