News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, these are also all science majors. My chem & bio lab partner is in calc I right now and it's her easiest class.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Vodka does not seem to be doing anything. Why?
I have been at it for days with the stuff and it just does not do its god danned job.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 27, 2014, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 27, 2014, 05:06:29 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 26, 2014, 06:33:22 AM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 25, 2014, 09:48:43 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention...I haven't had a real cigarette in almost a month. Just the e-cig and while I know that's still not exactly good for me, I can already feel a difference in my lungs. Plus I am saving SO much money.

It's not bad for you either, in any measurable way.  I haven't had actual tobacco since September, and I don't miss it even a tiny bit.

I'm not convinced of that. AFAIK, the nicotine is suspended in propylene glycol. So there's still the nicotine itself, which is bad for you, plus I'm not sure what the long term effects of exposing your lungs to propylene glycol is.

The glycol is the particular one used in emergency inhalers since the year dot.

Nicotine, on its own and in the concentrations used in e-cigs, is about as bad as a cup of coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's VASTLY better than actual smoking, or even using those tasty minty little camel snus pouches. Just not convinced it's COMPLETELY harmless. Not that I care all that much.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Placid Dingo

I don't really care what happens on Facebook, but I think some of you may have blocked the 'Skeletin' character. From what I saw, she threw off at DOUR and Cram responded to her. Just in case that's the misunderstanding in place.

If it's not, please jsut disregard this comment.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Suu on January 28, 2014, 12:39:59 AM
So today I found out that the new apartment is within walking distance to Smuttynose Brewery. Yesterday we fell on top of Red Hook and had to stop in for a brew. Come to find out, Shipyard is within spitting distance across the river I cannot pronounce. Holy balls, I'm about to be surrounded by beer.

Shityard is OK, barely. Don't know the NH beer scene too well but some good Maine breweries that you should be able to find on tap and/or in stores include: Allagash. ALLAGASH. Gritty's, Geary's, and Sea Dog are all generally good and each one has one or two really good beers. Stone Coast is pretty awesome. Belfast Bay is really good. Oh, and the Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale is wicked popular but it's absolute crap. Someone will probably try to get you to drink one sooner or later but feel free to ignore them and their tastes after that.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 03:42:15 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 03:37:25 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 03:34:36 AM
I never finished my degree.  By now, I'd have to start all over again, and I simply lack the drive.  But I'm glad to see you doing so well, especially after how bad things seemed to be a few years back.

YOU KNOW

Um, I thought I would have to start from scratch, but for some reason they helpfully included those 16 credits from 20 years ago.  :lol:

You actually might be surprised at what they won't make you re-take.

Worth a mention, since you will soon find yourself not supporting a kid.

Yeah, but what I remember of math wouldn't get me through one semester.  I'd have to retake it because I don't remember it.  Trig, yes.  Some algebra, yes.  The chain rule.  That's it.

Also, I was talking with some Canucks back in the Old Country, and one of them wrote this (spelling unchanged):

QuoteIf this government wants to get rid of something get rid of them blood suckers in the senet. Make them members live on there wadges ,take there perks and boneses away.

WTF, CANADA?  WTF? 

The world is ending.

Maritime provinces, I presume? :lulz:

Salty

Quote from: Placid Dingo on January 28, 2014, 06:43:57 AM
I don't really care what happens on Facebook, but I think some of you may have blocked the 'Skeletin' character. From what I saw, she threw off at DOUR and Cram responded to her. Just in case that's the misunderstanding in place.

If it's not, please jsut disregard this comment.

That dumbass blocked me, and I have no regrets.

Fuck her, and fuck the lot of them.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Shit's getting serious. My old boss just blew 3 pages of sunshine up my ass in an email then asked me what my salary and benefit requirements were. I didn't sell myself short. We'll see what happens next.

Left

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 28, 2014, 04:38:27 AM
Hey Nigel! LIKE A BOSS. Congrats!

DOUR, I've been thinking about "old". And you know what? Old people are CRABBY, and nobody goes up to them and tells them "SMILE!"
Old people carry STICKS.

I kind of look forward to this.
... If I actually get to old age people won't fuck with me....hmm... 

Quote from: Alty on January 28, 2014, 06:10:55 AM
Vodka does not seem to be doing anything. Why?
I have been at it for days with the stuff and it just does not do its god danned job.

...I find it tends to make me feel worse the next day...YMMV.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Cain

Bleh.  I spent most of yesterday in a haze called "a complete and utter lack of sleep".

Fred, I would definitely recommend changing your course, if you don't enjoy it.  There are always times when a course wont be motivating you as much, but if you're not enjoying it at all (like I wasn't with Philosophy), then look into other options.  I'd recommend maybe attending a couple of lectures for any other courses your University offers, and seeing if something grabs you.

If it does, then you've got a starting point for asking about transferring credits etc.  I mean, it could be as trivial as going from Art into Art History, or something more.

LMNO

When I was a music performance major, I got interested in any form of music other than what I was studying.

When I switched to music engineering and production, I fell down a rabbit hole of wonder and glory.

Maybe it's not that you hate art, but rather you hate the kind of art you're doing.  If you can find another angle that suits your interests better, you can still use the credits you've gathered, but just for a different purpose.

Suu

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 28, 2014, 06:44:41 AM
Quote from: The Suu on January 28, 2014, 12:39:59 AM
So today I found out that the new apartment is within walking distance to Smuttynose Brewery. Yesterday we fell on top of Red Hook and had to stop in for a brew. Come to find out, Shipyard is within spitting distance across the river I cannot pronounce. Holy balls, I'm about to be surrounded by beer.

Shityard is OK, barely. Don't know the NH beer scene too well but some good Maine breweries that you should be able to find on tap and/or in stores include: Allagash. ALLAGASH. Gritty's, Geary's, and Sea Dog are all generally good and each one has one or two really good beers. Stone Coast is pretty awesome. Belfast Bay is really good. Oh, and the Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale is wicked popular but it's absolute crap. Someone will probably try to get you to drink one sooner or later but feel free to ignore them and their tastes after that.

I FUCKING LOVE ALLAGASH! Their double white is my go-to all the time, "just want a nice refreshing glass of awesome" beer. Not a fan of Sea Dog, I call it Soap Dog, mostly because everyone drinks their blueberry, and it takes like fucking soap in comparison to Wachusett or Newport Storm's RI Blueberry. Newport Storm may churn out a lot of ass (they're very experimental) but their blueberry and Octoberfest are failproof.

Smuttynose is pretty good, they can get rather hoppy, but their Old Brown Dog is a staple. Portsmouth Brewery is owned by the same folks. They're small. Red Hook is, well, Red Hook. It's Seattle beer with a 2nd brewery on the East Coast.  It was a really nice place though and when we were asking questions to our server, she had the manager come over and we were invited back anytime to talk with one of the brewers because they like getting new ideas from the public.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the area. Everybody is genuinely easy going, but Freestaters really do get their feathers ruffled when you say you're moving in. That whole, "Welcome to New Hampshire, now please leave" attitude can be a bit much from some people, but at the same time, there's a lot of others that are like, "Oh, check this out, go here, go there, if you need anything give me a call." Especially Navy. Unlike Groton/New London where they're sick of the base, Portsmouth/Kittery still very much supports the shipyard (probably because it's their ONLY source of money in the off-season.) Although Kittery is one big shopping mall, but the Trading Post...OMG. I could stock up for the apocalypse there.

Basically, we're going to be there for a year and a half. So we figure we're going to make the most out of it. We are going to go to Portland for a day soon to check it out, and we've been invited up to Bangor as well to see "real Maine." Same thing up in the White Mountains to see "real New Hampshire."

I'm also looking into the area museums, especially the Strawbery Banke, to put in volunteer hours for curation and archiving so I can start getting things on my resume.

...I'm also very impressed with their snow removal skills.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Let me know if you're headed up towards Bangor. There's actually not shit in Bangor worth seeing, really, but there's lots of cool stuff an hour's drive in any direction, including the restaurant I used to chef at and may be cheffing at again by the time you get up that way.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm off to have my orifices probed! First physical since my surgery. Wish me luck!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on January 28, 2014, 05:10:50 PM
Let me know if you're headed up towards Bangor. There's actually not shit in Bangor worth seeing, really, but there's lots of cool stuff an hour's drive in any direction, including the restaurant I used to chef at and may be cheffing at again by the time you get up that way.

Will do. There's a lot of nature up there and the almost-husband wants to take me out into it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."