News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Started by Disco Pickle, September 29, 2010, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Just finished this for the first time.  Very quick read.  Always liked RLS's work, just never got around to this particular one.

Besides to obvious subject matter, duality of nature in man, I also gleaned an allegory to drug addiction.   By the end of his ordeal he was having to take more and more of the tincture to get the same result, to return to his "normal" state.  He went for several weeks without becoming Hyde, thinking he could resist, and failed completely when he once again became Hyde and ended up killing a man.  I think I recall him actually drawing a parallel to his craving to be Hyde and an alcoholic thinking about drinking.

The entire tale was great and the fact that it was written in Victorian times means it made a lot of people of that time shit themselves having to acknowledge that maybe indeed there was a bunch of bullshit covering up their truer nature.

Anyone else read this?  It was never thrust on my in school like some of his other work.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

bds

I read it last year in school. I liked it a lot. Although I also liked Adrian Mole! (we didn't read that in school though)