News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Any Hackers?

Started by hooplala, November 05, 2013, 08:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I'm working on a story at the moment which includes a minor character who is a "hacker" (for lack of a better word)... problem is, I'm not so computer savvy.  I know we have some people on the board who are knowledgable with matters such as this, and was wondering if anyone wanted to volunteer to allow me to PM them occasionally with a search for a proper word or method on this topic?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Q. G. Pennyworth

While I don't do the illegal stuff, I hang out in the culture and have friends who know the appropriate terms.

hooplala

You ok with me pestering you on occasion?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Pæs

I'll keep an eye on my PMs if you like. Break/fix web apps as a hobby, read a lot of tech news.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Hoopla on November 06, 2013, 12:26:35 AM
You ok with me pestering you on occasion?

Wouldn't have piped up otherwise :)

v00d00

I've had my day researching hacker stuff, I wrote a couple computer viruses, and I am a linux user, and I am acquainted with some of the msot common attacks and vulnerabilities as well as some cryptography. So PM me if you want

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

I'm pretty up on current event's and technologies for work purposes but don't use them beyond packet sniffing and encryption for work.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

v00d00

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 14, 2013, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: v00d00 on November 14, 2013, 07:24:59 PM
I wrote a couple computer viruses,

:|

Lol. yeah nothing big actually, an overwritter and an appender for .com files in DOS
None of them saw the light and nobody uses DOS so don't you worry.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v00d00 on November 15, 2013, 02:20:19 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 14, 2013, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: v00d00 on November 14, 2013, 07:24:59 PM
I wrote a couple computer viruses,

:|

Lol. yeah nothing big actually, an overwritter and an appender for .com files in DOS
None of them saw the light and nobody uses DOS so don't you worry.

I'm not worried.  It's more that I view virus writers in the same light as I view people using 3D printers to make weapons.

"Stop pissing on MY future."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Depends on what the aim was for writing a virus. I've written loads of malicious code, so I could understand how it worked and get a better idea about what I'm looking at when reverse engineering the viruses of others.

Pæs

Actually, hijacking this thread to ask whether anyone would be interested in an explanatory thread about internuts security where questions can be asked and answers given because I actually quite enjoyed writing massive posts at Hoopla speculating on how to attack hypothetical targets.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'm up for it. It's not like they can watch this site any harder than they already do  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of my friends is a professional, I could ask him if you want.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."