News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Raz Tech

Quote from: Trivial on September 27, 2014, 08:54:11 PM
http://www.salon.com/2014/09/25/kansas_to_host_a_massive_sex_toy_auction_in_the_face_of_ongoing_budget_crisis/

This is a thing?

It makes sense fiscally, you know, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal politically.  Asset auctions have been around forever.

On the bright side, you could potentially get a lot of 50 vibrators for 10 bucks, which means you would be set on gift baskets for a long time.

Trivial

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 27, 2014, 09:59:28 PM
http://www.salon.com/2014/09/25/kansas_to_host_a_massive_sex_toy_auction_in_the_face_of_ongoing_budget_crisis/

This is a thing?

It makes sense fiscally, you know, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal politically.  Asset auctions have been around forever.

On the bright side, you could potentially get a lot of 50 vibrators for 10 bucks, which means you would be set on gift baskets for a long time.

Ooh a bouquet.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

minuspace

Quote from: Trivial on September 27, 2014, 11:40:15 PM
Quote from: Raz Tech on September 27, 2014, 09:59:28 PM

This is a thing?

Ooh a bouquet.
Might get lucky with a case of good vintage.

Junkenstein

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/09/22/the-worlds-no-3-arms-exporter-germany/

QuoteWho is the world's No. 3 arms exporter, after the United States and Russia? Surprise. It is Germany, a country bound by law to supply only allies and peaceable folks like (neutral) Switzerland or Sweden. Off limits are "areas of tension" — bad neighborhoods that actually need the stuff.

Yet somehow, Israel and Saudi Arabia, both living in the world's powder keg, are among Germany's best customers. So are Algeria, Qatar and  the United Arab Emirates.

What doesn't go directly finds its way on the international arms bazaar. Consider, no self-respecting drug czar — Russian or Mexican — would flaunt a Czech-made "Skorpion." It has to be a Heckler & Koch MP-5, also much beloved by U.S. Special Operations forces.

QuoteBut never, ever has Germany delivered to nonstate forces. This month marks a profound break with that tradition. Germany has agreed to send weapons to the Kurdish Workers' Party, or PKK, a military and political group in northern Iraq, with the bulk of more sophisticated arms going to the peshmerga forces. Not exactly buddies, these two outfits are fighting the Islamic State.

The Kurdish Workers' Party is due to receive 8,000 G3 assault rifles — almost museum pieces — that were issued to the German armed forces in 1959. The peshmerga forces get more recent hardware: 8,000 G36, the current rifle of the German army. Plus 30 antitank systems with 500 missiles. Add in a few tens of shoulder-held antitank rockets, 40 machine guns and 10,000 hand grenades. The package is worth about $90 million.

While the supply and such is interesting, I'm more looking at Germany's position as a global arms dealer. To be blunt I had no idea it was that big in the market and I doubt it's going to make good decisions to maintain that position.

I also have to wonder a little about the Arms envoys that get sent to other countries. I'd pay good money to hear the conversations and negotiations that occur prior to a sale. "Ethnic group X getting uppity? Then you need a case of these!"
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Ho ho?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29408121

QuoteChanges to UK legislation are to come into force later this week allowing the parody of copyright works.

Under current rules, there has been a risk of being sued for breach of copyright if clips of films, TV shows or songs were used without consent.

But the new European Copyright Directive will allow the use of the material so long as it is fair and does not compete with the original version.

The new law will come into effect on 1 October.

Owners of the copyrighted works will only be able to sue if the parody conveys a discriminatory message.

It would then be down to a judge to decide if the parody is funny.

Please remember, UK Judges are famous for their sense of humour. Expect problems here, I'd put money on the first trial having a judge who doesn't "get" the joke, no matter how slowly it and the reason why it's funny is explained.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

As an internationally recognised expert in Teh Funnay, I expect to be called upon as an expert witness any day now.

Junkenstein

The path to a Labour/Ukip coalition continues:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29438653

QuoteConservative Party donor Arron Banks is set to join the UK Independence Party and could stand in next May's election.

The insurance entrepreneur has donated more than £250,000 to the Tories since David Cameron became leader in 2005.

He will hand over a £100,000 cheque to UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

House of Commons Leader William Hague said he had never heard of Mr Banks, and said his defection would "certainly not" overshadow Mr Cameron's party conference speech.

Interesting. Never heard of one of your most significant donors? That's a great stance to take to ensure that no further cash comes your way from him. Considering how desperate pretty much every party is for financial backing, this is probably a lot more painful and significant than the talking heads will make it out to be. Remember you could get a personal meeting with the PM for any donations over or over 100K which allows you to discuss anything you please off the record and on the QT for future considerations.

For anyone keeping track, that's now 2 MP's and a backer with rumors of more to still come.

Junkenstein

Footage from the latest Conservative party conference. Revealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0YBumQHPAeU&app=desktop

I'm reliably informed that other parties are already planning to mimic many of the same policies.

The UKIP defection count is up to 4, and a donor.

Junkenstein

Put down any drinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29453341

QuoteThe British National Party says it has expelled its ex-leader Nick Griffin.

In a statement, the BNP accused him of trying to "destabilise" the party and "harassing" party members.

In a tweet, Mr Griffin took issue with the decision, accusing the party leadership of "plastic gangster games".

QuoteIt also accused him of "harassing members of BNP staff and in at least one case making physical threats" as well as publishing e-mails giving a false account of his own financial affairs after he was declared bankrupt in January.

Guess who else is going to be joining UKIP?

That's not a carefully chosen picture, he just looks like that all the time.

It'll be amusing to see the shitneck that takes his place. I'm sure someone's got their eye on the job.

Cain

lolz

Can't say I'm surprised.  Nick baby has been ruling the party with an iron fist and discernible lack of political results since 2007....eventually either the bottom was going to drop out of the party (I thought, for a year or so, that the EDL may succeed in supplanting them) or someone with a backbone would get tired of Griffin's shit.

Junkenstein

Yeah, the axe has been waiting to fall for a while. In all honesty I'm only surprised that it's not happened sooner. I've got a fiver on him being with UKIP by this time next week. It seems to be the new home of the "Not a racist!" brigade.

There is, however, the potential that even that retarded lizard running the show there realises that he's political poison and casts him out. You'll be able to hear me laughing if that occurs.

Junkenstein

Finally an excuse to just throw a fence around Texas and call it a day:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29462431

QuoteAs many as 80 people had direct or indirect contact with a man diagnosed in Texas with Ebola virus, officials have told US media.

About 12-18 people were potentially exposed to the virus through Liberian national Michael Eric Duncan.

The larger number includes people who may not have had contact with him personally, NBC and CBS report.

Four of his family members have been ordered to stay home and not receive visitors until 19 October.

In other news, FOX reports this as "Muslim terrorists gave Texan man the plague". Probably. I'm not going to bother to check if they won't.

Junkenstein

Boko Haram still a thing. Still very little progress here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29461095

QuoteA video has been released showing the purported leader of Nigeria's Islamist group Boko Haram dismissing the military's allegations that he is dead.

In the video, Abubakar Shekau says his fighters shot down an air force jet that went missing three weeks ago.

Last week, the military claimed a man posing as the Boko Haram leader in videos had been killed and in August 2013 said that Shekau may be dead.

Security analysts have questioned the credibility of the military's claims.

Nigeria journalist Ahmad Salkida, who has good contacts within Boko Haram, said on his Twitter account last week that he had it "on authority that Shekau is well and alive".

Is it is not clear when or where the video, obtained by the AFP news agency, was made.

But the BBC's Hausa Service editor, Mansur Liman, says the man speaking appears to be the same Abubakar Shekau in other Boko Haram videos.

Sound familiar at all? Terrorist leader who's totally dead but we can't find the body then makes more videos appear?

QuoteIn August, Boko Haram declared an Islamic state in areas it controls - which Shekau refers to in the 36-minute video.

In it, he stands on the back of a pick-up truck firing an anti-aircraft gun into the air.

"Here I am, alive. I will only die the day Allah takes my breath," he says, mocking the military's "propaganda".

"We are running our caliphate, our Islamic caliphate. We follow the Koran... We now practise the injunctions of the Koran in the land of Allah," he says, referring to Sharia punishments.

This has some serious implications if not checked quickly. And I'd suspect with all eyes on Syria/Iraq it has the potential to develop into a huge problem that's going to be nigh on impossible to actually fix.

Doktor Howl

So, Justice Scalia has decided that Duck Dynasty >  Thomas Jefferson.

He, a trained jurist, just said with his bare face hanging out, "The constitution protects freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion."

He is WAY fatter than Elvis was.  Why hasn't he died yet?
Molon Lube