News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Poisoned Well

Started by Salty, October 09, 2012, 12:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-gordon-supercomputer-million-person-facebook.html

I was inching toward it anyway, but this confirmed my desire to deactivate my facebook. It's been a few weeks now, and speaking as someone who first got online in 2007, as someone who has used social networks heavily in that time, and as A MOTHER, I don't miss it even a little bit.

True, low maintenance trolling is a fun time had by all. But I find I have more mental energy for fucking with people IRL. Also, developing better meat-based interpersonal relationships. But that's just me. I thought you all might find this interesting, or maybe one of you can rip these findings to shreds or offer some perspective.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Freeky

That's....

That's something, all right.

The Good Reverend Roger

Now I know how to suicide my account.  :banana:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I dunno man, I see it all as that much more opportunity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I believe data gleaned from Facebook has shown that people are more likely to play a game if it has the name "-ville" on the end.  Hence Farmville, etc

What is really interesting is that the real world impact of playing Farmville and getting the vote out are roughly the same.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2012, 01:23:19 PM
What is really interesting is that the real world impact of playing Farmville and getting the vote out are roughly the same.

:dream:

Incidentally, has anyone looked at the potential ethical problems in doing experiments like this, without the users' consent?  It's not in the FaceBook TOS, and they're potentially changing your behavior by pushing out altered signals.