News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 21, 2016, 12:23:55 PM
Nigel, that's fantastic!  Congratulations!

Thank you! Now I just have to nail the interview... I think I will be OK because I already have a prospective advisor. I don't think I'm going to feel like this is real until I get the official offer in the mail, though!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on January 21, 2016, 03:02:12 PM
Well, I finally got to see, in full-color IMAX 3D with surround sound, what the Racist As Fuck segment of the Sanders supporters look like.

Thanks, Facebook. Now I know.

It's really quite a jolt when you don't see it coming, isn't it?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Well, I finally got to see, in full-color IMAX 3D with surround sound, what the Racist As Fuck segment of the Sanders supporters look like.

Can I get a link please? I'd like to see for myself.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2016, 08:26:40 PM
As the man said listening to libertarians recounting how America was a revolution away from statism and feudalism:

Quote from: Cain on the Americans for Sarah Palin Facebook groupHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

I act as a fig leaf for their incompetence, another layer of bureaucracy to shield them from direct involvement in the building.  Apparently they want to make this role "more managerial" than it was previously, whatever the fuck that means, but I suspect I'll just be doing what I do now, only with more cash.

That doesn't sound so bad, really. Getting paid more for the same bullshit.

Yeah, although I don't relish the idea of "monthly informal chats" with my manager and his manager.  I hate them enough as is, without spending time outside work seeing them.

Congrats on your interview.

Cain

Was this the "if Bernie doesn't win I'm going to vote Trump because fuck everyone who isn't a white man" or the "black people are required to vote Bernie, anything less is treason against the greatest civil rights protestor since MLK" crowd?

Faust

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2016, 04:45:23 PM

Thank you! Now I just have to nail the interview... I think I will be OK because I already have a prospective advisor. I don't think I'm going to feel like this is real until I get the official offer in the mail, though!

That sounds like an amazing oppertunity, congratulations, it sounds like they were already interested in you if they are willing to pay for the transport there and you have an advisor.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2016, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2016, 08:26:40 PM
As the man said listening to libertarians recounting how America was a revolution away from statism and feudalism:

Quote from: Cain on the Americans for Sarah Palin Facebook groupHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

I act as a fig leaf for their incompetence, another layer of bureaucracy to shield them from direct involvement in the building.  Apparently they want to make this role "more managerial" than it was previously, whatever the fuck that means, but I suspect I'll just be doing what I do now, only with more cash.

That doesn't sound so bad, really. Getting paid more for the same bullshit.

Yeah, although I don't relish the idea of "monthly informal chats" with my manager and his manager.  I hate them enough as is, without spending time outside work seeing them.

Congrats on your interview.

Thanks!

Monthly informal chats? I hope you get paid for them, because ugh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 21, 2016, 09:25:29 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2016, 04:45:23 PM

That sounds like an amazing oppertunity, congratulations, it sounds like they were already interested in you if they are willing to pay for the transport there and you have an advisor.

I think it's fairly standard for physical science PhD programs to pay for everything, which I am having a hard time getting used to. I also think they are only inviting students they are pretty certain they are going to offer to, which is exciting and nerve-wracking all at once because I can tell that I am probably getting an offer but I haven't actually gotten one yet. They did detail the stipend, health insurance, and tuition reimbursement in the interview invitation, and it all looks great and definitely within the ball park of what I expected.

I was quite proactive about finding a prospective advisor, I visited his lab a month or so ago. In my field, the availability of a suitable advisor can be more important in terms of getting into a program than any other factor. He was very encouraging, and hadn't had any other visits from prospective grad students, so I am feeling pretty optimistic.

Meunster

Well, for years meunster has been my Mr. Hyde. But Well, can't be an asshole online when I have go go be a productive person at basic and for the next 3-8 years.

So I'll try to spread the word of eris when I can, and see you all later. Don't die without me.
Poe's law ;)

MMIX

Quote from: Meunster on January 22, 2016, 08:52:02 AM
Well, for years meunster has been my Mr. Hyde. But Well, can't be an asshole online when I have go go be a productive person at basic and for the next 3-8 years.

So I'll try to spread the word of eris when I can, and see you all later. Don't die without me.

Hey, spag. Don't die without us.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Vanadium Gryllz

Hope you find what you are looking for Meunster!

Congrats Nigel, Cain.

I have had an interesting couple of days - I went to Gdansk to do a technical audit for one of our customers. The colleague who I was travelling with (much more senior than me) started drinking in the airport, carried on on the flight and then we went out to a sports bar when we landed. At 1am I went back to the hotel with the local sales manager, leaving said colleague to his own devices (fraternising with some Danish handball fans).

The appointed breakfast time rolls around and there's no sign of him. 20cm of snow had fallen overnight. He's not picking up his calls. We go to the customer and complete our business. By now it's 1pm and we still haven't heard from him. At 3pm, just as I am about to say 'fuck it' and start making my way back to the airport said colleague staggers into the hotel. Pale, slurring and dishevelled he says he's been to the hospital. After another couple of hours of recovering it turns out he's a recently diagnosed diabetic and didn't realise you aren't supposed to drink on his medication.

Is it uncharitable of me to think that, medication or no, this was supremely irresponsible/unprofessional? I have a meeting in a minute with my boss (and maybe others) to give them my version of events.

Edit: He was the one that drove us to the airport. Luckily, he has a company car so I was insured to drive us back again.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Meunster on January 22, 2016, 08:52:02 AM

Later Meunster! If I do die without you, just know I'll probably be too dead for it to matter much.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: Xaz on January 22, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
Hope you find what you are looking for Meunster!

Congrats Nigel, Cain.

I have had an interesting couple of days - I went to Gdansk to do a technical audit for one of our customers. The colleague who I was travelling with (much more senior than me) started drinking in the airport, carried on on the flight and then we went out to a sports bar when we landed. At 1am I went back to the hotel with the local sales manager, leaving said colleague to his own devices (fraternising with some Danish handball fans).

The appointed breakfast time rolls around and there's no sign of him. 20cm of snow had fallen overnight. He's not picking up his calls. We go to the customer and complete our business. By now it's 1pm and we still haven't heard from him. At 3pm, just as I am about to say 'fuck it' and start making my way back to the airport said colleague staggers into the hotel. Pale, slurring and dishevelled he says he's been to the hospital. After another couple of hours of recovering it turns out he's a recently diagnosed diabetic and didn't realise you aren't supposed to drink on his medication.

Is it uncharitable of me to think that, medication or no, this was supremely irresponsible/unprofessional? I have a meeting in a minute with my boss (and maybe others) to give them my version of events.

Edit: He was the one that drove us to the airport. Luckily, he has a company car so I was insured to drive us back again.

It's pretty irresponsible, yes.  Diabetics do get thirsty, which could explain maybe drinking a little too much...you have a few drinks, don't quite feel satisfied, but you've had a few drinks so your judgement is off.  But what kind of idiot doesn't check his medication, then drinks solidly from (presumably) the early afternoon until past 1am?

Vanadium Gryllz

There's a definite heavy drinking culture within the salesforce at my company (and many others I am sure) so I expect that the lifestyle change that he will have to be making is coming as quite the shock.

Also he's not exactly known for his stellar decision making. He appears to have got where he is today through sheer hypnotic verbal diarrhoea and self confidence.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Quoteheavy drinking culture....hypnotic verbal diarrhoea and self confidence

Yup, that sounds like most sales departments.