News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Alabama immigrants to face water supply being cut off

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 07, 2011, 09:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 25, 2011, 09:38:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 25, 2011, 09:16:23 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 25, 2011, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: Kurt Christ on October 08, 2011, 04:31:12 AM
And for some reason, our state's farm industry has a sudden severe labor shortage. I wonder... nah, probably no connection.

You know who the farm owners are being told to hire in their place?

Prisoners.

:lulz:

Who the fuck is telling them that.

Probably the for-profit prison industry...   :horrormirth:

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?  Wackenhutt gets paid to move illegals, house prisoners, and then pimp them out to businesses, so said businesses don't have to pay a living wage.

They're getting paid 3 ways.  There's a level of evil genius to that.

It's worth noting that the private prison lobby is the largest lobby in America.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 25, 2011, 09:41:11 PM
And for some reason, our state's farm industry has a sudden severe labor shortage. I wonder... nah, probably no connection.

Prisoners.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?  Wackenhutt gets paid to move illegals, house prisoners, and then pimp them out to businesses, so said businesses don't have to pay a living wage.

It's worth noting that the private prison lobby is the largest lobby in America.

Capitalism! I'm sure its exactly how the Founding Fathers envisioned it  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 25, 2011, 09:49:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 25, 2011, 09:41:11 PM

Prisoners.

Capitalism! I'm sure its exactly how the Founding Fathers envisioned it  :lulz:

Quite so.  The founding fathers never intended poor people to live into their 40s.  Haul 'em off.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 25, 2011, 09:51:39 PM
x-posted for relevance

also: Hi ratatosk! :wave:

OH HAI CRAM!!

Nice xpost... horrifying that someone could actually write that in a document and then hand it out to people...

Roger, well, maybe they would be a little upset that some of the prisoners were white... but otherwise, it wouldn't be all that different from what they were used to. Oh yeah, we've come so far!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 25, 2011, 10:16:54 PM
Roger, well, maybe they would be a little upset that some of the prisoners were white... but otherwise, it wouldn't be all that different from what they were used to. Oh yeah, we've come so far!!!

Fact:  No White people were ever arrested during the 18th century.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Jenne

Prisoners.

The governor.

Jenne

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20111007/NEWS02/110070314/McMillan-Inmates-short-term-option-farmers-desperate-help

The head of Alabama's agricul­ture department is pointing farm­ers desperate for workers toward a potential labor source: Correc­tions department inmates.

Some farmers have said that the state's tough new immigration law will cause unpicked produce to rot in the fields.
John McMillan, commissioner of the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, said Thursday that he and officials from the Governor's Office, the Industrial Relations office and the state Department of Corrections are looking at short- and long-term solutions to a potential labor short­age.

and

QuoteOctober 24, 2011 Alabama farmers are facing a labor crisis because of the state's new immigration law as both legal and undocumented migrant workers have fled the state since the strict new rules went into effect last month.

So far, piecemeal efforts to match the unemployed or work release inmates to farm jobs are not panning out, and farmers are asking state lawmakers to do something before the spring planting season.

Farmer Guiseppe Peturis has a small operation — growing mostly vegetables on his family's 20-acre farm in Belforest, Ala. — and selling them on the corner in front of his house. His retail business has suffered since he appeared on the local news saying Alabamians don't want to do hard farm work.

Peturis says he's a Republican, but is no fan of Republican Gov. Robert Bentley's plan to get jobs for out-of-work Alabamians by passing the nation's toughest immigration law. Among other things, it calls for police to detain suspects if there's reasonable suspicion they are in the country illegally.

Peturis says he's tried to hire through the state unemployment office before, but didn't have much success.

"Two of them left in 30 minutes; didn't even tell us they [were] going to leave," Peturis says. "One worked an hour and says it was too hard on his back."

More in link:  http://www.npr.org/2011/10/24/141638999/labor-worries-rise-as-planting-season-nears-in-ala

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kurt Christ

Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

So when does Darwin kick in on these stupid motherfuckers?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Elder Iptuous

just as soon as they stop breeding successfully, i guess...