News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Measles Outbreak.

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, October 24, 2011, 11:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

If they ever come out with an easily-communicable/mutatable antivirus, I'd like it to be ROTOVIRUS before it's RHINO.

Just saying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 08:32:31 PM
If they ever come out with an easily-communicable/mutatable antivirus, I'd like it to be ROTOVIRUS before it's RHINO.

Just saying.

Oh dude, no shit. Poor diarrhea babies. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Troof.

And now they're talking about hitting girls with the HPV vaccine earlier now on a mandatory basis. I watch 20 somethings cry with that, I have no idea how a 9 year old will take it. My sister HATES it...though it's too late now for her too as she's been diagnosed with a high-risk strain of it, so I can see the importance of getting them vaccinated earlier.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on October 27, 2011, 08:57:41 PM
Troof.

And now they're talking about hitting girls with the HPV vaccine earlier now on a mandatory basis. I watch 20 somethings cry with that, I have no idea how a 9 year old will take it. My sister HATES it...though it's too late now for her too as she's been diagnosed with a high-risk strain of it, so I can see the importance of getting them vaccinated earlier.

If the shot hurts like a motherfucker, get it done before you're 4. After that you'll just remember how painful some inoculations can be.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My daughter said it was no big deal. She might just have a really high pain tolerance though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Apparently it burns. You can feel the suspension enter your system and burn down the length of your arm. That's the story I've gotten from most people I've asked. I was already too old for it by the time it came out, and well, it was too late anyway.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

I'll have to take my sons to get it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 09:39:20 PM
I'll have to take my sons to get it.

Likewise, once I have them.

Jenne

Nephew Twiddleton

Suu

Please do, guys. I would hate for your kids to go through what I'm going through right now. :(

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
Health care, your level of caretaking at home by your family

I was with my grandma :D is all I remember about the mumps episode :D

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 08:04:36 PM
"relatively harmless, as long as there are no complications"  :lulz: but isn't that true of any disease?

Well that's what the wikipedium said. I'm just wondering why my parents didn't seem to make a big deal out of it. But then, they don't tell me everything, so who knows maybe they were worried shitless.

QuoteHIV is relatively harmless, as long as there are  no complications... it's the complications that get you.

That's a bit of a nonsense argument, because it also holds for the common cold.

QuoteThe problem with mumps is that the complications were fatal in 1.6% of all cases.

I saw that number too, that's quite hefty, so maybe my parents were worries shitless but just never told me.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 28, 2011, 12:07:00 AM
Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
Health care, your level of caretaking at home by your family

I was with my grandma :D is all I remember about the mumps episode :D

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 08:04:36 PM
"relatively harmless, as long as there are no complications"  :lulz: but isn't that true of any disease?

Well that's what the wikipedium said. I'm just wondering why my parents didn't seem to make a big deal out of it. But then, they don't tell me everything, so who knows maybe they were worried shitless.

QuoteHIV is relatively harmless, as long as there are  no complications... it's the complications that get you.

That's a bit of a nonsense argument, because it also holds for the common cold.

QuoteThe problem with mumps is that the complications were fatal in 1.6% of all cases.

I saw that number too, that's quite hefty, so maybe my parents were worries shitless but just never told me.

Yes, the bit about the complications was tongue-in-cheek, because of course most viruses are relatively harmless as long as there are no complications... Go, Wikipedia!

The Rev

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 04:53:14 PM
BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS, MAN. MOTHERS DRANK AND SMOKED THROUGH THEIR PREGNANCIES AND KIDS NEVER WORE SEAT BELTS AND BABIES JUST RODE IN THEY MAMMA'S LAP, WE WOULD JUST RUN AROUND ALL DAY UNSUPERVISED AND SWIM IN THE RIVER AND WE ALL GOT MEASLES, MUMPS, RUBELLA, CHICKEN POX, SMALLPOX, YELLOW FEVER, DENGUE FEVER, AND MALARIA AND WE ALL TURNED OUT JUST FINE. NO BABIES WERE EVER LOW BIRTH WEIGHT OR STILLBORN AND NOBODY EVER DIED OF CONTUSIONS AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT AND THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS CRIB DEATH AND NONE OF US EVER DROWNED OR WERE KIDNAPPED OR RAPED, THAT'S JUST THE WAY THINGS WERE BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN PEOPLE WERE TOUGHER.

HERE'S A THOUGHT, GO FUCK YOURSELF BITCH. In the future, if I post anything that offends you...GOOD.

The Rev

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 06:21:09 PM
I appreciate hearing different viewpoints, but I will mock them if they're totally stupid. :) I find the "Why, when I was a kid we had polio, rocky mountain spotted fever, and spinal meningitis all rolled into one... half of us survived, I don't see what the big deal is" rhetoric painfully similar to the hipster malaise of refusing to be shocked or disturbed by anything. Being jaded and desensitized to suffering isn't a virtue.

I agree to that last...I'm not sure Hawk meant to imply that, but he can speak for himself.

I think my own husband has some issues in that aspect, that he has a litmus for "true suffering" that really makes me cringe.  Because like I said in another thread--how can we categorize anyone else's suffering other than our own?  It's a sketchy business at best.

I don't have to explain a fucking thing to that aggressive bitch, or any other motherfucker that wants to read things that I didn't say into my fucking words.