ATTN Nigel

Started by Cain, October 27, 2011, 12:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on December 08, 2009, 08:59:50 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 08, 2009, 06:10:16 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 08, 2009, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 08, 2009, 05:40:12 PM
So I never believed in ghosts until we moved into this house. We had ghosts, in a big bad creepy way. I noticed they always do the same thing in the same places, like they're just a recording of someone who used to live here. I don't think they're really interactive, or that they can do anything to you.

Then we remodeled, and they mostly stopped. Go figure!

Maybe a renovation is in order?

I agree with you Nigel, I've seen two "ghosts" (one of them on a few different occasions) and I have come to the conclusion that they are a genuine phenomena, but that they are not the remainders of people who have died.

I think they are exactly what you stated, recordings.  Perhaps the materials around the phenomena have something to do with the 'playback' feature?
I don't have any idea what these phenomena are or what causes them.
I have only one experience of it
When we lived in london, the house we were in had the sound of someone walking up and down the stairs in the evening, there were no houses beside us and you could actually stand at either end of the stairs and hear it getting louder as someone approached you. I thought it was very funny at the time, I was ten and used to run out to look at it whenever it would happen.

We have one that seems unaffected by the remodel, which happens somewhere around midnight on October 29, which is the sound of the front door closing hard followed by someone in hard-heeled shoes walking decisively (and very loudly) across the living room floor toward the kitchen, at which point they disappear.

I alway tell myself I'm going to stay downstairs and see what happens, but by the time that time of year rolls around again I've always forgotten. It scares the fucking CRAP out of me, every fucking year; I think we're getting broken into.

You have two days to prepare yourself.

Pæs

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, NIGEL.

Epimetheus

Cain!! You are a good man.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cain

We want video evidence.  Also, load up a shotgun with rock salt, carry a cold iron blade on you and acquire some holy water/memorize the Lord's Prayer in Latin.  You know, just in case.

Eater of Clowns

Can't help but think Cain has somehow been responsible for said haunting in all previous years, leading up to this.

:shifty:

ETA:  Why the fuck don't we have a shifty emote?

:aardvark:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2011, 12:53:01 AM
So I never believed in ghosts until we moved into this house. We had ghosts, in a big bad creepy way. I noticed they always do the same thing in the same places, like they're just a recording of someone who used to live here. I don't think they're really interactive, or that they can do anything to you.

I agree with you Nigel, I've seen two "ghosts" (one of them on a few different occasions) and I have come to the conclusion that they are a genuine phenomena, but that they are not the remainders of people who have died.

I think they are exactly what you stated, recordings.  Perhaps the materials around the phenomena have something to do with the 'playback' feature?
When we lived in london, the house we were in had the sound of someone walking up and down the stairs in the evening, there were no houses beside us and you could actually stand at either end of the stairs and hear it getting louder as someone approached you. I thought it was very funny at the time, I was ten and used to run out to look at it whenever it would happen.

We have one that seems unaffected by the remodel, which happens somewhere around midnight on October 29, which is the sound of the front door closing hard followed by someone in hard-heeled shoes walking decisively (and very loudly) across the living room floor toward the kitchen, at which point they disappear.

I alway tell myself I'm going to stay downstairs and see what happens, but by the time that time of year rolls around again I've always forgotten. It scares the fucking CRAP out of me, every fucking year; I think we're getting broken into.

OH SHIT this reminds of this weird dream I had in 09 on my birthday. I was in a strange house getting a snack.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH SWEET

Thanks for reminding me!

Note that I don't believe in "ghosts" as a supernatural phenomenon; from my own personal experience I do believe they exist, but I don't think they're supernatural. I don't have much of anything in terms of a theory about what they are, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

I heard a theory that started out saying we will never achieve true AI because the brain actually operates in many more dimensions than we can perceive.  The afterlife is then explained as conciousness continuing to exist in the extra dimensions.  Ghosts are then explained as these extra-dimensional entities somehow influencing the dimensions that we percieve.

I'm not sure how much of that I believe, but I do believe in extra dimensions and I like the idea of intelligence not confined to 4 dimensional space-time.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Kai

This is fucking CREEPY. Just saying.

Also, I want an audio recording, if not video.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, I wonder if Radio Shack still sells little recording devices? I just realized that in this post-tape-deck era, I haven't got a fucking thing besides my iPhone to try to record this with... I might try to sleep on the couch on Saturday.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 27, 2011, 01:06:47 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2011, 12:53:01 AM

OH SHIT this reminds of this weird dream I had in 09 on my birthday. I was in a strange house getting a snack.

:lulz:

Suu

I remember watching a special on the St. Augustine Lighthouse haunting years ago, and they describe it as a "residual haunting", just energies moving in the same way they always did for days on end. Other than that, that's all I know about such things.

Sounds freaking awesome, though. I'd probably get wicked creeped out, regardless.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Reginald Ret

My thoughts about ghosts are mainly formed by this book The Hollow Man.
Wherein Mind is a holographic pattern, the brain is the holographic projector and you save an imperfect copy of every person you get to know, the better you know them the better the copy.
Ghosts can then be considered remnants of lost copies of people, imaginary or real.
If for example you have a recurring dream for several years that someone is breaking into your house and later forget you ever had those dreams, parts of the copy can return as the sound of someone opening your door and walking into your house.

That said, these ghosts you are experiencing need to be researched with a mind open to all posibilities.
Do it for SCIENCE!

edit for typo.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really want some kind of recordermchootiethang for this. Because otherwise it's going to be as exciting as "Yep, I heard it!" or "Nope, stayed up all night & didn't hear a damn thing".

The other weird noise that I REALLY want to figure out is the thing that circles the neighborhood and makes a squeaking, screeching, tooting, clanging cacophony once a year around Halloween. I think that if I hear it this year I'm going to get in my car and try to find it, because I'm pretty sure it's some neighborhood freaks who put a big noisy thing in a truck and then drive around with it. I want to see it.

East Coast Hustle

I don't believe in ghosts as a supernatural phenomenon, but I do believe in them as a manifestation of KORROK THE SLAVEMASTER.

If the JDatE movie is even half as good as the book, you'll all do the same pretty soon.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"