News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 04, 2016, 11:16:40 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 10:35:57 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 10:19:09 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 09:14:07 PM
Yeah, I forgot about dues. Might just go with my backup plan. Dues appear to me to be fundamental to scams and corruption. Especially since they may not do much for you at all in the long run. A few business connections, maybe? And they teach you The Way™? I don't think it's possible to be a Sucker™ and better humanity.

I've met a few masons over the years and knew a couple pretty well. It's expensive horseshit. The short version is that members are supposed to help other members above non members (By which we mean corruption). If anyone cares I've got a few anecdotes but they're generally a rather dull lot.

The question is, how lenient are they? I mean, if they are starving for people and do have connections that are worthwhile, and ones that are not easily achievable by simpler methods of contact, then it might be worth it. It sounds like they might have potential. If I got a few friends into the Masons, could we actually get shit done in a way that benefits society AND the group (Mostly Society.)? Or do you have to give more as you're capable of giving more? Because if I can get a few friends to surpass the bare minimum when it comes to dues, and we can take advantage of the connections and inner community, then the potential for greatness increases more.

If the Masons aren't really what I'm looking for, do you have any suggestions for organizations that would be?

I want to build a network of individuals who are patriotic, selfless, and willing to get involved in poor communities (This is obviously not a Mason kinda thing). I want a network of individuals that is truly dedicated to the betterment of humans, as a whole, and not just for the benefit of those within the group. And most of all, I want them to be branching out in all directions. I want people in the field of engineering, science, NOT Politics, community services, anthropology, and business. Polymaths with various skills and interests.

Why does patriotism have to be a part of it? The rest sounds pretty good, but patriotism is pure unmitigated bullshit.

Is it that strange to want your organization partners to be attached to their country? To care for their country, and to do anything to defend their country? I'm not saying they should be willing to lie and cheat other communities and countries to put us on a pedestal. But I want them to be willing to defend their country within a reasonably moral fashion. Be willing to make improvements in their country where it is failing. If the country is missing a link, they should be willing to fill in that space and encourage others to do so as well.

This sentiment should also extend to those of other countries who are innocent. This organization should only start out as patriotic, and extend to humanism by its peak. It should not be limited by borders. It should not be limited by authority. It should only be limited by that which its members are willing to sacrifice from their own wealth and energy.

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 11:51:19 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 10:35:57 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 10:19:09 PM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 04, 2016, 09:14:07 PM
Yeah, I forgot about dues. Might just go with my backup plan. Dues appear to me to be fundamental to scams and corruption. Especially since they may not do much for you at all in the long run. A few business connections, maybe? And they teach you The Way™? I don't think it's possible to be a Sucker™ and better humanity.

I've met a few masons over the years and knew a couple pretty well. It's expensive horseshit. The short version is that members are supposed to help other members above non members (By which we mean corruption). If anyone cares I've got a few anecdotes but they're generally a rather dull lot.

The question is, how lenient are they? I mean, if they are starving for people and do have connections that are worthwhile(1), and ones that are not easily achievable by simpler methods of contact,(2) then it might be worth it. It sounds like they might have potential.(3) If I got a few friends into the Masons, could we actually get shit done in a way that benefits society AND the group (Mostly Society.)(4)?

1 - Depends vastly on the lodge and many/any open seats. You may meet some interesting people but it really just a dress up excuse with ceremonial leanings and food/drink. There's the charidee angle, but you could easily take the dues, eat and drink well for a year and throw some at a cause yourself so ... meh. The last dues bill I can remember was about 8K for the year(2008-ish?). No idea if this is normal, high, low, whatever. It did strike me as a remarkable sum to pay for membership to a club where you basically pray and chant a bit while wearing a pinny. I can sort that out for way less than 8 grand.

2 - People are people. You'd be surprised how easy people can be to contact if you actually try so ... meh.

3 - Personally, no. I'm not a big joining things guy though.

4 - You'll probably struggle to do this and there's better ways to spend money. If you're really into aprons though, go for it.

Fair enough. I'm reconsidering my interest in Masonry. It sounds like there will be too much time-wasting bullshit for how much money and time I'd be putting in.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Suu

I know a lot of Freemasons and Eastern Stars, and have been present at several semi-public Masonic events because our friends have been trying to pull us in for years. Dues are based on income, and they do not discriminate based on it. If you're looking for philanthropy, the Shriners are the charity wing so to speak, and they do A LOT. One of my Shriner friends is never home on the weekends, he's always at a hospital, or a fundraiser. They pound some serious pavement.

The only real requirement is that you believe in a supreme being. That can be Satan for all they care, as said Shriner buddy is a self-proclaimed Gnostic Satanist, but rules of the lodge typically state, very quickly, that you do NOT discuss religion and politics, as they are dividing factors.

With that said, if you have a Mason buddy, talk to them about it. There's a lot of various opinions out there. My husband doesn't want to get involved because it's very hard to deal with while active duty, and he's more interested in working with the American Legion or VFW. But as an Eagle Scout, he can skip a rank or 3.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, it's rude to comment on my childhood best friend's facebook wall that her brothers may be enormously tall manbeasts now, but I can still remember when they were little dickwads who peed on the sidewalk in front of girls for giggles, right?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 05, 2016, 01:46:19 AM
So, it's rude to comment on my childhood best friend's facebook wall that her brothers may be enormously tall manbeasts now, but I can still remember when they were little dickwads who peed on the sidewalk in front of girls for giggles, right?

I'd be OK with that, and I'm not very tolerant.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

Quote from: SuuCal on July 05, 2016, 01:44:12 AM
I know a lot of Freemasons and Eastern Stars, and have been present at several semi-public Masonic events because our friends have been trying to pull us in for years. Dues are based on income, and they do not discriminate based on it. If you're looking for philanthropy, the Shriners are the charity wing so to speak, and they do A LOT. One of my Shriner friends is never home on the weekends, he's always at a hospital, or a fundraiser. They pound some serious pavement.

The only real requirement is that you believe in a supreme being. That can be Satan for all they care, as said Shriner buddy is a self-proclaimed Gnostic Satanist, but rules of the lodge typically state, very quickly, that you do NOT discuss religion and politics, as they are dividing factors.

With that said, if you have a Mason buddy, talk to them about it. There's a lot of various opinions out there. My husband doesn't want to get involved because it's very hard to deal with while active duty, and he's more interested in working with the American Legion or VFW. But as an Eagle Scout, he can skip a rank or 3.

I don't have any Mason buddies. Or, at least, the one that I did have was a manipulative psycho and potential killer (Killer of cats, blamer of brother, mentioned in convo with Cain).

Shriners sounds interesting. I may want a connection to that at least. But I don't want the main focus to be the medical field or anything in particular, really. I would want my organization to separate its focus into many fields and specializations.

As I'm thinking about it, I might want to just network into other organizations to get shit done. Maybe I shouldn't make a separate organization, maybe I should create the network that connects the organizations. Unify organizations on principle, instead of being a separate entity...

Be the network. Be the catalyst. All the manpower is out there. Maybe it just needs directed... fueled...

If they can't take something like that, how much of a childhood friend are they?
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 05, 2016, 02:14:16 AM

If they can't take something like that, how much of a childhood friend are they?

Not a very good one. She ditched me in 5th grade for a girl with some fashion sense who didn't want to dig around in the dirt and we never really reconnected. I have no idea why we're facebook friends.

POFP

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 05, 2016, 02:26:10 AM
Quote from: Fernando Poo on July 05, 2016, 02:14:16 AM

Not a very good one. She ditched me in 5th grade for a girl with some fashion sense who didn't want to dig around in the dirt and we never really reconnected. I have no idea why we're facebook friends.

Oh, then you should definitely say that and similar things as you think of them. The further you can push the envelope, the better.

It may have been the 5th grade, but anyone who doesn't wanna play around in dirt is probably a terrible person.

Suu

I want to do something with those stupid fucking baby chalkboards that the fucking Facebook moms and over 21 fucking pregnant women I know insist on showing off to me ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

I get it, you're proud of your baby. It was cute the first 12 times I saw it. But I don't need one every day while you measure your infant's age in weeks until their 7 years old, for fuck's sake. I don't CARE if they're shitting on the potty yet. I don't CARE how many teeth they have, and I don't care that the next one you've already gotten pregnant with is the size of an avocado.

I think I'm going to get one, and do it for dinner. Or booze. Or TV show spoilers. Or shit I buy at a discount on Amazon.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Airport:  109
Kitt Peak:  92
Ajo valley:  119 goddamn degrees oh fuck this isn't even survivable
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 06, 2016, 12:42:45 AM

I've decided there is something fundamentally fucking wrong with Arizona. Even the folks I met this weekend from Tucson who were in town for a party also agreed that there is something fucking wrong.

I was also warned that this is still spring for us on the coast.

Don Coyote

Quote from: SuuCal on July 06, 2016, 01:08:33 AM

I've decided there is something fundamentally fucking wrong with Arizona. Even the folks I met this weekend from Tucson who were in town for a party also agreed that there is something fucking wrong.

Have you hit triple digits yet?

When I was deployed, there were several days where it hotter in my home town than where we were in Kuwait.

Suu

Quote from: Don Coyote on July 06, 2016, 01:30:51 AM

When I was deployed, there were several days where it hotter in my home town than where we were in Kuwait.

Yep. 2 weekends ago it was 104.  I was told that it's too early for it, and we shouldn't see the 100s until September. Which basically means San Diego is going to go up in smoke by August.

The Good Reverend Roger

Of course there's something wrong with Tucson.  That much is obvious just from the stains on the bus seats.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: SuuCal on July 06, 2016, 01:55:07 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on July 06, 2016, 01:30:51 AM

Yep. 2 weekends ago it was 104.  I was told that it's too early for it, and we shouldn't see the 100s until September. Which basically means San Diego is going to go up in smoke by August.

Ugh.

Trivial

After being in the world of IT for awhile, I'm amazed that neither a natural disaster nor a particularly driven human haven't permanently f'd up several companies.

It might take lots of effort to say, steal the money, but absolutely no effort to just delete/lose the money.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.