News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:56:46 AM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 28, 2013, 01:52:18 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 28, 2013, 12:01:22 AM
btw, liked this article: http://kimboekbinder.tumblr.com/post/59490908152/miley-cyrus-is-brilliant

relevant snip:

QuoteMiley Cyrus doesn't want our acceptance, she only wants our attention. In this scene we are her parents and she is the rebelling teenager. She took the stage half-naked, but it was the kind of half-naked that has been sanctioned for young girls. The totally ok half-naked. Then, to be really shocking, she stripped to the other kind of half-naked - the half-naked that has not been sanctioned for young girls. And she danced with the most disgusting man she could find. The kind of man that her public (read: parents) would never approve of. And the whole show is so obvious, so badly orchestrated, so boring, that I can't believe that I am even writing this, but her show transcended its own mediocrity somehow to become the kind of spectacle it was trying so desperately to be. 

Growing up in public must be hard, because growing up is hard to do under any circumstance. Maybe Miley Cyrus is actually having a breakdown. And if she is, my heart goes out to her, but only a little bit. Because I have breakdowns too. But I don't get to monetize mine.

No, I don't think Miley Cyrus is hurting. And I don't think she's harming either. She's a brilliant young women using her sexuality in the exact way she has been taught to, to build a career and a life for herself in a world that only cares about how many clicks you're worth.

Yeah, saw that article earlier. Boekbinder is rad.

Kim's point about sexuality and clicks and such is spot on. people complain about music artists (especially young women) being too sexed up for the kids. But that is the way the game is rigged and I honestly don't see enough criticism of that tendency within the hollywood and mainstream music scene

Quote from: NEVER FEAR LOVE! on August 28, 2013, 01:50:00 AM

I think people are giving the manufactured Disney princess way too much credit saying what she did was satire.

just because something is manufactured and such doesn't mean she's an eejit though.

It's a woman in question, so of COURSE RWHN thinks she's stupid.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 28, 2013, 01:56:27 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:28:18 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 01:19:18 AM
What if it was satire?  Is it still wrong?

if it was satire, then I'm cool with it. if Cyrus actually opens her mouth and talks about "blurred lines" and the satire of this performance, or the cultural appropriation concerns i'd feel a lot better about the whole deal.

Cyrus has been criticised for this before though, and there hasn't been a real response.

Nope. I don't usually go back and explain my trolls, either.  :lulz:

:lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:57:14 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 01:53:33 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:51:09 AM

haha.  it's the problem with the OTT borderline Poe's Law nature of shit like this, it could be utterly biting commentary or a gargantuan fuckup.

Either way, the net effect is positive.

She took the standard misogynist stage act and made it HORRIBLE FOREVER.

YES! this is something to be positive about.

There's going to be a WHOLE LOT of producers shifting their lazy asses, trying to find a new bit.

That alone makes everything worthwhile.  Expect some HILARITY as 3/5 attempts crash and burn.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 01:58:00 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:56:46 AM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 28, 2013, 01:52:18 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 28, 2013, 12:01:22 AM
btw, liked this article: http://kimboekbinder.tumblr.com/post/59490908152/miley-cyrus-is-brilliant

relevant snip:

QuoteMiley Cyrus doesn't want our acceptance, she only wants our attention. In this scene we are her parents and she is the rebelling teenager. She took the stage half-naked, but it was the kind of half-naked that has been sanctioned for young girls. The totally ok half-naked. Then, to be really shocking, she stripped to the other kind of half-naked - the half-naked that has not been sanctioned for young girls. And she danced with the most disgusting man she could find. The kind of man that her public (read: parents) would never approve of. And the whole show is so obvious, so badly orchestrated, so boring, that I can't believe that I am even writing this, but her show transcended its own mediocrity somehow to become the kind of spectacle it was trying so desperately to be. 

Growing up in public must be hard, because growing up is hard to do under any circumstance. Maybe Miley Cyrus is actually having a breakdown. And if she is, my heart goes out to her, but only a little bit. Because I have breakdowns too. But I don't get to monetize mine.

No, I don't think Miley Cyrus is hurting. And I don't think she's harming either. She's a brilliant young women using her sexuality in the exact way she has been taught to, to build a career and a life for herself in a world that only cares about how many clicks you're worth.

Yeah, saw that article earlier. Boekbinder is rad.

Kim's point about sexuality and clicks and such is spot on. people complain about music artists (especially young women) being too sexed up for the kids. But that is the way the game is rigged and I honestly don't see enough criticism of that tendency within the hollywood and mainstream music scene

Quote from: NEVER FEAR LOVE! on August 28, 2013, 01:50:00 AM

I think people are giving the manufactured Disney princess way too much credit saying what she did was satire.

just because something is manufactured and such doesn't mean she's an eejit though.

It's a woman in question, so of COURSE RWHN thinks she's stupid.

yea. I forgot I'd sent the fucker to Coventry for that kind of shit. Oops.

teenage girls are too often written off as shallow or stupid in a culture that tells them how to look, how to behave and sends so much bullshit baggage their way. There are many passionate, intelligent, switched on teen girls and young women and the ones that I know I am proud to know.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 02:06:48 AM

teenage girls are too often written off as shallow or stupid in a culture that tells them how to look, how to behave and sends so much bullshit baggage their way. There are many passionate, intelligent, switched on teen girls and young women and the ones that I know I am proud to know.

Also, some of the most viciously witty people I know are aged 17 (my daughter) to 25 (Sister Gothique).

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 02:08:34 AM

Also, some of the most viciously witty people I know are aged 17 (my daughter) to 25 (Sister Gothique).

yup.

Pope Pixie Pickle

as for the ones that haven't twigged yet how the game for them is rigged, i won't hear any crap spoken about them either, unless they are being assholes. I prefer the gentle approach and attempting to make them see a different perspective.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 01:53:33 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 01:51:09 AM

haha.  it's the problem with the OTT borderline Poe's Law nature of shit like this, it could be utterly biting commentary or a gargantuan fuckup.

Either way, the net effect is positive.

She took the standard misogynist stage act and made it HORRIBLE FOREVER.

:lulz: Which is AWESOME.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Wow, great perspectives on said trainwreck. Thanks.

Also, that was epic, Vex. Well done :lol:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Anna Mae Bollocks

My daughter's been clowning around the house like that since sixth grade or so. Nigel's got the right of it, it's a troll. Even if all Miley got was Billy Ray's brain, she KNOWS the over-the-top shit with the nonstop Gene Simmons tongue isn't alluring.

And it IS great. IT'S THE MUSIC AWARDS SHOW AMERICA DESERVES.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Telarus on August 28, 2013, 03:16:48 AM
Wow, great perspectives on said trainwreck. Thanks.

Also, that was epic, Vex. Well done :lol:

Thanks. I don't know where it came from.

Quote from: stelz on August 28, 2013, 03:53:35 AM

My daughter's been clowning around the house like that since sixth grade or so. Nigel's got the right of it, it's a troll. Even if all Miley got was Billy Ray's brain, she KNOWS the over-the-top shit with the nonstop Gene Simmons tongue isn't alluring.

And it IS great. IT'S THE MUSIC AWARDS SHOW AMERICA DESERVES.  :lulz:

Yeah this, too. And even if she didn't mean to troll, even if it wasn't intentional parody, it has had the same effect for many people. I've seen loads of people asking, "is pop culture a sham?" and pining, "I wish artists would just focus more on their art and less on their latex!"

Wait, no I haven't. I've seen a lot of people talking about how awful and desperate she looked.

And buying her records, of course.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Sita

:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 10:08:11 PM
I still say the entire thing was justified by the looks on Will Smith's familys' faces.

Especially his son.

ETA:  Smith himself turned into ECH for a second or two.

:hustle:

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"