News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

unions

Started by rong, March 27, 2012, 10:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

I am the son of a union electrician.

I work in a non-union electric shop in a mill under less than favorable conditions.

A recent turn of events has me considering the pros and cons of attempting to unionized.

I was raised to believe unions are responsible for protecting deadbeat workers and the downfall of the 'merican auto industry.

However, it occurs to me that American CEOs are the true causes of industrial downfall.

Hopefully, this is the thread where hopefully folks voice their opinions on labor unions and hopefully I will achieve deeper insight as to how to proceed with options that are available to me.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Salty

I like being in a union because it's very hard to fire me.

I don't like other people who work for unions because they're often morons like anyone else and it's very hard to fire them. Note: WGA. You get to strike from writing Leno jokes? You cannot go fuck yourself enough.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on March 27, 2012, 10:44:54 PM

However, it occurs to me that American CEOs are the true causes of industrial downfall.

Unions have their problems, but my principle argument in favor of them is this:  Management is by definition organized, therefore labor should also organize, in self-defense.

Also, the threat of a union is often better than the union itself.  The company I work for offers ACTUAL "competitive wages" & benefits (ie, as good or better than the hourly guys would get with a union), mostly to keep the unions out, as nobody likes the paperwork.  The employees are happy this way, the company winds up spending less money, and I don't have to worry about dealing with a union steward.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Another thing in favor of unions is that they're the reason we have weekends.
Molon Lube

rong

I found out that an acquaintence of mine is the president of our local ibew.

My "boss" seems extremely fed up with reporting to a maintenance superintendant that is a former milwright. (as does the rest of the electric shop)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on March 27, 2012, 10:56:14 PM
I found out that an acquaintence of mine is the president of our local ibew.

My "boss" seems extremely fed up with reporting to a maintenance superintendant that is a former milwright. (as does the rest of the electric shop)

:lulz:

Dok,
Former Millwright.
Molon Lube

rong

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

rong

Everything is someone else's problem.

Oh shit, let's keep talking about unions pleeze.

Salty

Quote from: rong on March 27, 2012, 11:06:09 PM

What in the fuck is wrong with you?

Feel free to never answer that.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

rong

Hrm. It appears my last post didn't take.  Let's try that again shall we?
I believe I said:
Let us, instead, discuss what is right with me.  It would certainly be more efficient.

navkat

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2012, 10:49:25 PM

Unions have their problems, but my principle argument in favor of them is this:  Management is by definition organized, therefore labor should also organize, in self-defense.

Also, the threat of a union is often better than the union itself.  The company I work for offers ACTUAL "competitive wages" & benefits (ie, as good or better than the hourly guys would get with a union), mostly to keep the unions out, as nobody likes the paperwork.  The employees are happy this way, the company winds up spending less money, and I don't have to worry about dealing with a union steward.

This. Unions (read: "worker racketeers") are the only semi-defense against corporate racketeers. Unless they're made up of dirty, New York Italians like me. Then they're just bullies.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on March 28, 2012, 04:46:50 AM

This. Unions (read: "worker racketeers") are the only semi-defense against corporate racketeers. Unless they're made up of dirty, New York Italians like me. Then they're just bullies.

Hairy bullies.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on March 27, 2012, 11:06:09 PM

Still want to know what it explains.
Molon Lube

navkat

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 28, 2012, 04:51:57 AM
Quote from: navkat on March 28, 2012, 04:46:50 AM

Hairy bullies.

Hairy greasy bullies.

You jumped in entirely too enthusiastically with the hairy thing, btw.