News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Inevitable and unlimited destruction of the Galactic Empire thread...

Started by AFK, October 30, 2012, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Luna on October 30, 2012, 11:55:02 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 30, 2012, 11:15:09 PM
I see a slight potential in these movies actually being somewhat decent, especially if Lucas has LESS influence.  At the same time, seeing how they've beat the snot out of that Pirates franchise, that potential is probably microscopically thin.

But also, for those scoring at home, Disney has now acquired The Muppets AND Star Wars.  What's next?

You forgot Marvel Comics.

They've already rebooted Spiderman, despite the last franchise ending in 2007.

I'm also fairly sure that 2011 set the record for the year with the most film remakes and adaptations, a record previously set in, uh, 2010.

Hollywood's in a death spiral of unoriginality and timidity.  "But if we make a film with no existing market support, how will we know for sure we'll make millions?"  It's called taking a risk you cheap fucks.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on October 31, 2012, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: Luna on October 30, 2012, 11:55:02 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 30, 2012, 11:15:09 PM
I see a slight potential in these movies actually being somewhat decent, especially if Lucas has LESS influence.  At the same time, seeing how they've beat the snot out of that Pirates franchise, that potential is probably microscopically thin.

But also, for those scoring at home, Disney has now acquired The Muppets AND Star Wars.  What's next?

You forgot Marvel Comics.

They've already rebooted Spiderman, despite the last franchise ending in 2007.

I'm also fairly sure that 2011 set the record for the year with the most film remakes and adaptations, a record previously set in, uh, 2010.

Hollywood's in a death spiral of unoriginality and timidity.  "But if we make a film with no existing market support, how will we know for sure we'll make millions?"  It's called taking a risk you cheap fucks.

:mittens:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Aucoq

I'm betting this new trilogy (there's no way it's not going to be a trilogy, right?) will end up like the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy where the first movie is unique and awesome but the remaining two are just shitty money-grabs.  At least that's the feeling I get.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

East Coast Hustle

So, just like every Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back, then?

And that's the thing. I tried to get outraged about this whole thing but the truth is Star Wars was ruined when Return of the Jedi came out so who gives a fuck? Disney can't make it any worse.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Aucoq

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 02, 2012, 02:56:25 AM
So, just like every Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back, then?

And that's the thing. I tried to get outraged about this whole thing but the truth is Star Wars was ruined when Return of the Jedi came out so who gives a fuck? Disney can't make it any worse.

Exactly.  I almost said "I hope this new movie is as good as Empire Strikes Back."  But then I thought that made me sound unrealistically optimistic.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I read a great article a while back on what the fuck happened to the series between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi according to Gary Kurtz.  (Here.)

Quote"I could see where things were headed," Kurtz said. "The toy business began to drive the [Lucasfilm] empire. It's a shame. They make three times as much on toys as they do on films. It's natural to make decisions that protect the toy business, but that's not the best thing for making quality films."

He added: "The first film and 'Empire' were about story and character, but I could see that George's priorities were changing."

QuoteAfter the release of "Empire" (which was shaped by material left over from that first Lucas treatment), talk turned to a third film and after a decade and a half the partners could no longer find a middle ground.

"We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz said. "Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason."

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone "like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns," as Kurtz put it.

Kurtz said that ending would have been a more emotionally nuanced finale to an epic adventure than the forest celebration of the Ewoks that essentially ended the trilogy with a teddy bear luau.

He was especially disdainful of the Lucas idea of a second Death Star, which he felt would be too derivative of the 1977 film. "So we agreed that I should probably leave."

Kurtz's Return of the Jedi would've been pretty badass, imo.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Elder Iptuous

it's amazing, i think.
I've enjoyed all of the cheezy space opera spewed out of Lucasfilm,
but not half as much as the continuous gnashing of teeth by everyone emotionally invested in it.

The Good Reverend Roger

I liked the idea of the second death star...It demonstrated the very human capacity for repeating grandious, unworkable ideas.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Aucoq

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on November 02, 2012, 07:14:18 PM
I liked the idea of the second death star...It demonstrated the very human capacity for repeating grandious, unworkable ideas.

:lulz:

I never thought of it like that before, but you're absolutely right.  :lol:

dontblameyoko

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 30, 2012, 11:04:35 PM
The idea reserves went dry a long time ago. Sometime theyll find a new mine or some idea sands and theyll be able to extract a little bit of idea refine it sell it burn it. But yeah usually the emissions have to be recaptured and used to synthesize more idea.

yeah, this sounds about right.
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Don Coyote

I've been hearing rumors of Disney being interested in aquiring Hasbro. :lulz:
Dungeons and Disney anyone?

dontblameyoko

BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby