News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

When Good Gets Too Good

Started by LHX, December 03, 2006, 11:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I had that break in... oh yeah, 2005-2006.  Huh.  Funny that. 

I had this realization that I was living a fantasy narrative in my head that had slowly become more divorced from experiential reality as time went on. "Tomorrow" became "never" as windows closed, and contexts shifted.

While my life became more "typical" (job, wife, doctors visits), at the same time, I became a lot happier (love, support, health, security).

minuspace

QuoteI feel what LHX said there, about how maybe feeding children superhero narratives for years and years will lead to adults that never feel they're living up to their potential.

Tyler Durden, in his preacher voice, says that we were raised thinking we'd be rock stars and now we're not, and we're very angry.

Like how when The secret stops working and it can only be your fault. Or how an ethos of individualistic overcoming results in coming last before the world that is positioned over and against it.  I'm sure there originally was another meaning to "superman", reminiscent of somehow transcending the human condition, or some kind of limitation it presents.  (No, absolutely not transhumanists)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 05, 2016, 08:36:01 PM

I complain about my job all the time, and my girlfriend says I should find a job I love - and I dismiss that as naivety.

I gotta side with her, here.

QuoteI feel what LHX said there, about how maybe feeding children superhero narratives for years and years will lead to adults that never feel they're living up to their potential.

There has never been a time that people felt like they'd lived up to their potential.  In fact, it's only very recently that we felt we HAD potential.

I'm talking to this kid in #discord and he says we should all quit our jobs and live on a commune and reject capitalism and all that crap we used to care about when we were complete fucking dipshits. I tell him he's full of shit and I get a stabbing headache as I type it.

I don't know how to feel about it.

I have to agree with you, here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2016, 03:21:10 AM

There has never been a time that people felt like they'd lived up to their potential.  In fact, it's only very recently that we felt we HAD potential.

I don't know about the recentness of the common man believing in "potential," at least in children. There's a reason a lot of fairy tales focus on secret princesses or plucky young anonymous lads from the streets. Sure, you're a smelly dirt farmer from a family of impoverished smelly dirt farmers, but maybe you're *really* a princess who had to be hidden from her family because of an evil witch, or maybe you're the boy who will kill giants!

MMIX

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 06, 2016, 12:37:43 PM

I don't know about the recentness of the common man believing in "potential," at least in children. There's a reason a lot of fairy tales focus on secret princesses or plucky young anonymous lads from the streets. Sure, you're a smelly dirt farmer from a family of impoverished smelly dirt farmers, but maybe you're *really* a princess who had to be hidden from her family because of an evil witch, or maybe you're the boy who will kill giants!

Oh its surely not a recent thing. Try this for size

QuoteEcclesiastes 1:9New International Version (NIV)

9 What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

As witness the cases of
King David, insignificant shepherd boy kills Giant
Moses in the bullrushes - smelly dirt farmer's son becomes Egyptian prince,
or the real biggie Illegitimate son of an elderly carpenter and the young girl he is betrothed to becomes the Son of God.
Yep, ain't nothing new under the sun
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cramulus

I complain about my job all the time, and my girlfriend says I should find a job I love - and I dismiss that as naivety.

Yeah I struggle with all of this.

My goal is to live comfortably.

The jobs which would really stimulate me will not pay for that.

I keep thinking about how I should probably get my Masters degree so that one day I can afford to put a kid or two through college, but when I look at the choices, I'm staring at something like Project Management which feels like it will leech all the moisture right out of my soul.

I figure - most people have a job they tolerate in order to live well outside of it.

If I had a job I loved, would it be worth sacrificing vacations and nice meals in restaurants?

These are the dangers of modern living.

minuspace

Oh, no, wait, we're the good guys!

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on May 06, 2016, 04:27:07 PM

Yeah I struggle with all of this.

My goal is to live comfortably.

The jobs which would really stimulate me will not pay for that.

I keep thinking about how I should probably get my Masters degree so that one day I can afford to put a kid or two through college, but when I look at the choices, I'm staring at something like Project Management which feels like it will leech all the moisture right out of my soul.

I figure - most people have a job they tolerate in order to live well outside of it.

If I had a job I loved, would it be worth sacrificing vacations and nice meals in restaurants?

These are the dangers of modern living.

Project management can be very rewarding if you hate people.

TGRR,
Isn't kidding.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 07, 2016, 02:58:07 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 07, 2016, 02:30:08 AM
Oh, no, wait, we're the good guys!
Insects unseen.

(Moebius, I think)
Because I can't see the image you posted :\