OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 09, 2015, 04:16:03 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2015, 02:01:26 AM
Who has two thumbs and got his dream job?

This guy.
Glad to hear that Roger. Was hoping you'd land on your feet

Thanks.  It's been a rough 6 months.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Aucoq

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Bruno

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2015, 10:43:34 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on December 08, 2015, 09:25:57 PM
Harvard found diacetyl in 75% of e-cig juice.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/12/popcorn-lung-seen-in-e-cigarette-smokers/

This is why I stick to the unflavored stuff.

I think I'll ask if they can do that for me next time I go to the vape store. They don't sell it, but I'm pretty sure they mix their own using an unflavored base. The coils will probably last longer, too.

Also, congrats on the new job!
Formerly something else...

Cain

Despite having no choice over it, in some ways I enjoy not being invited to the office Xmas party.  Reason 1) the temptation to actually kill my co-workers will not be sorely tested by being around them and alcohol.  Reason 2) I get to see quite a few of my co-workers come back drunk.  And even if they pretend not to remember, they will know that I know how pathetically drunk they were. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Done for the term! So damn happy to be done. Also so damn happy to have a job that insists on paying me for my full hours whether there was anything for me to do or not. "Oh, you read websites about writing personal statements? We'll pay you for that."

Now I just have to edit my personal statement and add a few details to my thesis prospectus, and I can fuck off for a few weeks until the madness starts up again in January.

I can basically spend the rest of the day shopping for a New Years Eve party dress (I'm going for purple, lots of cleavage), reading, and making lasagna. I love not being stressed out by looming deadlines.

Maybe I should buy car parts. That might be a good idea, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 11, 2015, 12:07:44 AM
Done for the term! So damn happy to be done. Also so damn happy to have a job that insists on paying me for my full hours whether there was anything for me to do or not. "Oh, you read websites about writing personal statements? We'll pay you for that."

Now I just have to edit my personal statement and add a few details to my thesis prospectus, and I can fuck off for a few weeks until the madness starts up again in January.

I can basically spend the rest of the day shopping for a New Years Eve party dress (I'm going for purple, lots of cleavage), reading, and making lasagna. I love not being stressed out by looming deadlines.

Maybe I should buy car parts. That might be a good idea, too.

Awesome.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, first day on the job, a mile and half up in the air.  Talking with engineers about robots the size of sewing needles that adjust fiberoptic cables for trapping images of entire galaxies, to measure their velocity with respect to one another.  The engineers know their job and they assume I'm educated on everything unless I tell them differently, in which case they patiently explain.

My boss is a fairly brilliant scientist who enjoys the ins and outs of DOE/NASA/NSF bureaucratic wrangling.  His boss is the smartest woman I've ever met, who shares my enthusiasm for the visitor program, for getting people up the mountain to look at other stars and how exoplanets are inferred from a star's wobble, and will geek out on a moment's notice, which is fucking awesome.

My crew are all professionals who genuinely like each other, and most of them seem to have taken a shine to me.

I am in charge of - among many other things - life support.  LIFE SUPPORT.  Scotty, my scabby arse!

I changed my mind.  There is a heaven.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2015, 04:32:10 AM
So, first day on the job, a mile and half up in the air.  Talking with engineers about robots the size of sewing needles that adjust fiberoptic cables for trapping images of entire galaxies, to measure their velocity with respect to one another.  The engineers know their job and they assume I'm educated on everything unless I tell them differently, in which case they patiently explain.

My boss is a fairly brilliant scientist who enjoys the ins and outs of DOE/NASA/NSF bureaucratic wrangling.  His boss is the smartest woman I've ever met, who shares my enthusiasm for the visitor program, for getting people up the mountain to look at other stars and how exoplanets are inferred from a star's wobble, and will geek out on a moment's notice, which is fucking awesome.

My crew are all professionals who genuinely like each other, and most of them seem to have taken a shine to me.

I am in charge of - among many other things - life support.  LIFE SUPPORT.  Scotty, my scabby arse!

Holy shit.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on December 11, 2015, 04:34:11 AM

Holy shit.

22 domes, a solar telescope (which is about the size of a naval destroyer, and is mostly underground), and 2 radio telescopes.

I am the king of the Igors.  Look upon me and despair.

Chelagoras The Boulder

that sounds like some kind of Nerd nirvana. A Nerdvana, if you will.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 11, 2015, 05:09:46 AM
that sounds like some kind of Nerd nirvana. A Nerdvana, if you will.

It is.  My lead tech told me he's been there 38 years and he's still not over it.

East Coast Hustle

Hot damn, man. That sounds really really awesome. I'm wicked happy for you. About 60% completely altruistically, and about 40% because it gives me hope that I might be similarly fortunate again someday.

Congratulations!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Do you need test subjects?  I can provide test subjects.

In other news: knee still busted (it was improving....until I put all my weight on it to get into bed) and Xmas shopping is 66% complete.

EK WAFFLR

Holy fuck! I'm glad for you, man!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Aucoq

That sounds fantastic. Congratulations again. That's wonderful.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.