News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 25, 2016, 01:52:42 AM
Interesting note:

All of the mosaic-capable telescopes, when not working a tasked project, are now doing a globular search with a radius of 30,000 light years, specifically looking for exoplanets in the habitable zones.  Planets judged to be outside of habitable zones are noted and filed, but not really examined.

It's worth noting that the DOE and NASA are spending a lot of money to do this.

The following is absolute speculation, and nothing but:

1.  The magickle get-you-there drive that NASA isn't talking about much these days may be a thing, and
2.  Someone feels a burning need to find exoplanets.

It's worth noting that there is no reason the hypothetical NASA drive has to reach orbit - or even take off - before starting its thing.  what this means is that carried mass is much less of a concern.

Took myself a sabbatical and now catching up so as to get back on the bus here. Came across this bit and Holy fucking shit!! If TGRR'S speculation here is true then everything is about to change.. again!

buy Aerospace stock and get ready to dump your "rare earth" materials positions.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 23, 2016, 06:46:32 PM
Interesting note:

All of the mosaic-capable telescopes, when not working a tasked project, are now doing a globular search with a radius of 30,000 light years, specifically looking for exoplanets in the habitable zones.  Planets judged to be outside of habitable zones are noted and filed, but not really examined.

1.  The magickle get-you-there drive that NASA isn't talking about much these days may be a thing, and

It's worth noting that there is no reason the hypothetical NASA drive has to reach orbit - or even take off - before starting its thing.  what this means is that carried mass is much less of a concern.

Took myself a sabbatical and now catching up so as to get back on the bus here. Came across this bit and Holy fucking shit!! If TGRR'S speculation here is true then everything is about to change.. again!

buy Aerospace stock and get ready to dump your "rare earth" materials positions.

I wouldn't dump rare earths just yet. Still gotta build the ships that get there.

POFP

If I ever happen to say anything Holy™ at any point in my life, tell them George W. Bush said it. That guy gets a bad wrap.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 23, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 23, 2016, 06:46:32 PM
Interesting note:

I wouldn't dump rare earths just yet. Still gotta build the ships that get there.

Yeah... plus a supply boom in a high enough demand market isn't necessarily going to bottom prices out, but they might drop sharply in anticipation of the temporary glut.

Now if you want to pull a variation of the Nero maneuver with a hint of alleged Rothschild you might buy craploads through proxy companies (heavy on just the right insurance fund baskets all) in the lead up to the very first "ship coming in" and have made arrangements for a "tragic mishap" that prevents return of the supply then the market would almost surely frenzy and likely allow you to pick a rather high peak indeed to offload on. The key would be in having the insurers of the project expect to see market gains for their funds exceeding the actual liability payout and to "disable" the project after successful collection, but before successful return, and so make it a priority to salvage and also stimulate "legitimate" demand to supply the recovery project and put a fairly solid demand floor under the initial bubble.

I mean hay Q.G. how you been? As you can see I'm in a story plotting mood myself.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

I am about to fucking Office Space this goddamned printer, that's what's up. The third print booklet is giving it some kind of aneurysm, and I can't figure out WHAT part or WHY and FUCK EVERYTHING JUST PRINT.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 23, 2016, 10:48:18 PM
I am about to fucking Office Space this goddamned printer, that's what's up. The third print booklet is giving it some kind of aneurysm, and I can't figure out WHAT part or WHY and FUCK EVERYTHING JUST PRINT.

Hm.. entirely outside of my profoundly limited expertise, but if you do get your gangland love going be sure to take before and after pics and send them to the company along with a neatly clipped power cable. Send it to HR not Custy Serv. That should get it noticed.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 24, 2016, 12:54:21 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 23, 2016, 10:48:18 PM

Hm.. entirely outside of my profoundly limited expertise, but if you do get your gangland love going be sure to take before and after pics and send them to the company along with a neatly clipped power cable. Send it to HR not Custy Serv. That should get it noticed.

Printing from the other machine worked for no discernible reason. Printers are officially both magic and evil.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fernando Poo on April 23, 2016, 08:33:26 PM
If I ever happen to say anything Holy™ at any point in my life, tell them George W. Bush said it. That guy gets a bad wrap.

Yeah, he only killed a few million people to line his buddies' pockets.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 24, 2016, 04:52:53 AM

Isn't that par for the course for presidents?

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 24, 2016, 04:52:53 AM

Oh, I never said his bad wrap (Is it actually "rap?" This is bugging the fuck out of me) wasn't justified. I just know that we've been handing out freebies to bad leaders in history books for centuries, and I was just nominating him for the next one.

I think it would look a lot better to the next alien race that finds us if we give people like him more freebies. If they think we're funny, they might not eat us.
And then there's the off chance that they're right, and Bush is a reptilian, in which case giving him a freebie can't hurt.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Freeky

Me and the monkey went swimming .  It was nice.  And cold.  But the weather is warming up, so it didn't matter.

Meunster

Apparently the army has great mental health care.
Weird considering they don't let anyone with mental problems in.
Poe's law ;)

Pergamos

Quote from: Meunster on April 25, 2016, 01:09:09 AM

Intentionally missing the obvious?

Don Coyote

The military has a high chance of GIVING you mental health issues.

POFP

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 25, 2016, 02:06:12 PM

The military has a high chance of GIVING you mental health issues.

Then it sounds like their mental health care isn't all that great after all.  :lulz:

Quote from: Pergamos on April 25, 2016, 07:22:40 AM

Intentionally missing the obvious?

I think so  :lulz: