OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2016, 05:45:33 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on January 17, 2016, 12:11:59 AM
Has anyone ever stumbled upon a co-worker living at the office?  I mean an office-office, not a home based thing.

Never a coworker, but I have known it to happen. Usually temporarily.

The man is 67 years old, apparently this has been going on for a few months now according to other people.  I'm a bit torn, it's not my business, but there's something probably going wrong here. 

He added me to facebook a couple days ago and it's filled with drama, so I'm not certain I want any of that.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Pergamos

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on January 17, 2016, 04:51:36 PM
Has anyone ever stumbled upon a co-worker living at the office?  I mean an office-office, not a home based thing.

The man is 67 years old, apparently this has been going on for a few months now according to other people.  I'm a bit torn, it's not my business, but there's something probably going wrong here. 

He added me to facebook a couple days ago and it's filled with drama, so I'm not certain I want any of that.

Unless you are prepared to really get terribly involved I think you should let it be.  Involving higher ups or authorities will just result in the poor guy being homeless and blaming you.

Trivial

Quote from: Pergamos on January 17, 2016, 06:12:08 PM

Unless you are prepared to really get terribly involved I think you should let it be.  Involving higher ups or authorities will just result in the poor guy being homeless and blaming you.

Yeah that's mostly what I'm thinking.  I'd say he's a smart guy and can figure it out, but he's also up there in age and might be losing some reasoning skills.  Facebook drama kinda points to that.

I'm surprised the company hasn't pushed him out yet, they did a mass "hey you need to retire - now" thing thing last year.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Wizard Joseph

So I'm not caught up on the thread just yet and haven't really checked much else here for a bit, but I'm going to be back at it @PD more regularly pretty soon.

Posting because FB showed me a comment Cain made on an article about Trump supporters and while I read the article a joke occurred to me and I want only the elite folk here to hear it. It's a bit too obscure for most of FB anyway.

What sound does an Authoritarian Chicken make??

It goes, "cuck-cuck-cuck-ba-Koch."(alternatively ba-cock)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh yeah, runnnnnnnn.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Well, it looks like I got promoted.

An extra few thousand pounds and all the bullshit I can swallow await.

LMNO

Cain

As the man said listening to libertarians recounting how America was a revolution away from statism and feudalism:

Quote from: Cain on the Americans for Sarah Palin Facebook groupHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

I act as a fig leaf for their incompetence, another layer of bureaucracy to shield them from direct involvement in the building.  Apparently they want to make this role "more managerial" than it was previously, whatever the fuck that means, but I suspect I'll just be doing what I do now, only with more cash.

Faust

[Vent/Nostalgia] Moving back to Ireland on Saturday. I regret not having done more in the UK in the last year and a half... I've been into London exactly four times (got to see a couple of musicals), and got up to Edinburgh, Oxford and the lake district which was nice, but overall the last year and a half of my life has been consumed by work, which is something I've got to fix.
I'm going to miss Chelmsford, as it was a really pretty place and the weather is so much better then back home.

10-hour journey on Saturday, between driving and ferry's.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

To be honest, you probably got lucky there.

London does have many fine museums, art galleries and hotels with excellent dining facilities...but aside from that, I wouldn't recommend it.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2016, 09:43:43 PM
To be honest, you probably got lucky there.

London does have many fine museums, art galleries and hotels with excellent dining facilities...but aside from that, I wouldn't recommend it.
That... seemed to be the case. We got to the British Meseum and it was beautiful, you could almost spend a day on each section. The natural history Museum was cool too but was too overrun with kids. I want to come over again though to comic con, because the way things worked out I ended up missing it twice.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2016, 08:26:40 PM
As the man said listening to libertarians recounting how America was a revolution away from statism and feudalism:

Quote from: Cain on the Americans for Sarah Palin Facebook groupHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

I act as a fig leaf for their incompetence, another layer of bureaucracy to shield them from direct involvement in the building.  Apparently they want to make this role "more managerial" than it was previously, whatever the fuck that means, but I suspect I'll just be doing what I do now, only with more cash.

In the US a "promotion" often means you get paid effectively the same but they change your job title and heap on more responsibilities.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Faust on January 19, 2016, 09:31:28 PM
[Vent/Nostalgia] Moving back to Ireland on Saturday. I regret not having done more in the UK in the last year and a half... I've been into London exactly four times (got to see a couple of musicals), and got up to Edinburgh, Oxford and the lake district which was nice, but overall the last year and a half of my life has been consumed by work, which is something I've got to fix.
I'm going to miss Chelmsford, as it was a really pretty place and the weather is so much better then back home.

10-hour journey on Saturday, between driving and ferry's.

My tech job is doing the same thing to me. Except there's nothing to do here except get into bar fights with sports bros, street race shit cars, and build raspberry pi drones loaded with Kali Linux.

Good luck with the move!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Quote from: N E T on January 20, 2016, 05:09:16 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2016, 08:26:40 PM

No.

In the US a "promotion" often means you get paid effectively the same but they change your job title and heap on more responsibilities.

They tried that here with me, too, last month when the redundancies started rolling in.  I said no dice.