News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Volunteer Thread

Started by Golden Applesauce, April 09, 2008, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

it just needs to be something that looks sorta like a newsfeed. may be a bad newsfeed, but as long as it looks believable, it's okay.

the point is that people will be linked to the fake articles, but a smart person will click around on the site if they're suspicious. if there's nothing else there, they'll know it's fake. but if it contains a bunch of real news articles, they're more inclined to believe. even if they're text only. i do wonder a littlebit about headers and such, though.

and you're right about GMail, it only supports SSL POP. and Wordpress doesn't... too bad. I will continue my experiment when I find another free email account that supports unencrypted POP.

if your script is going to fetch images as well, I suggest you transload them instead of hotlink them. otherwise the source website might get wind of it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What I'm hoping for is a newspaper-style template that I and other users can paste articles into, and which saves previous articles in an archive. Cramulus is probably a good person to talk to about that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

I've been hunting around for the right wordpress theme, but there's so much to choose from!
There are tons, I mean TONS of "news-style" themes. We need one that looks kind of professional though...

Triple Zero

click around on this page a littlebit: http://www.mooismagazine.nl/?p=753 it uses the "Futurosity Altera" theme (based on Sandbox), it's clean, professional looking, doesn't look like 11 out of 10 WordPress blogs, and I absolutely love the typography and layout (clean with lots of whitespace).

since the theme is based on the Sandbox skeleton, which I got some experience with (radiofreediscordia uses the same--and the PD frontpage will too, one day), if you want some minor tweaks to the layout I can help (different colour, or something).
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

IMO the template needs to be ugly, cluttery, and difficult to navigate, just like a real news site.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2009, 05:12:35 PM
IMO the template needs to be ugly, cluttery, and difficult to navigate, just like a real news site.

oh, sorry. yeah. i see your point.

it also needs the actual article on the left, and the right third of the screen blank, for some reason.

i dunno if there's templates for that. i suggest looking for dumb template designers that mean really well ;-)

Aufenthatt

Selection of semi relevant irritating adds interspersed with memes?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 22, 2009, 07:06:06 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2009, 05:12:35 PM

oh, sorry. yeah. i see your point.

it also needs the actual article on the left, and the right third of the screen blank, for some reason.

i dunno if there's templates for that. i suggest looking for dumb template designers that mean really well ;-)

Yes!

Ideally, I should pose as a real newspaper editor for srs looking for a designer, and then hire some chick in Gresham who does web design in Frontpage, part time in between scrapbooking.

Triple Zero

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2009, 12:37:37 AM
Kai, gene sequencing is part of what you'll be doing?

If you ever make it out here, maybe you would enjoy talking to B. His doctorate is in organic chemistry, but what he actually does is design gene sequencing arrays. I don't understand it very well, but I think the gist of it is that he develops arrays to help biologists identify markers.

My research requires some way of associating insect life stages. Theres several methods for my species group of interest (rearing, metamorphotype) but the best method so far is DNA barcoding. Sequencing is just part of the barcode process, and I wouldn't be doing it myself, heh. I barely know how it works. I know that you select a good quality specimen, clip off a small sample, lyse the cells in some sort of silicon medium to bind and extract the DNA, add a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) primer to amplify the COI gene, add florecent dyes and then run it through a capillary sequencer, after which you have to edit and inspect the sequence for errors. Its a lot more complicated than that, and I don't really know much more than the above, but yeah, its an important step in my research.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Don't know where to put this, but I don't want any of my stuff in any future intermittens.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Tom O Bedlam

Tom is interested,
and he would like to gift.
So Old Tom will see what he can do
to help you make a rift.
Fuck like there's no orgasm.

The Wizard

Current Projects: NationStates. Book.

Expertise: Writing (fiction, essays, critiques, whatever), planning, philosophy, literature, weird shit, researching.

I'll volunteer with what I can...
Insanity we trust.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Tom O Bedlam on April 24, 2009, 05:51:13 AM
Tom is interested,
and he would like to gift.
So Old Tom will see what he can do
to help you make a rift.

Old Tom sure didn't last long.