News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Rio 2016 shitshow thread

Started by Da6s, August 01, 2016, 11:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Sano

Sorry for the absence, but pokemon go got released here and... well...

Anyway, I actually loved the opening. I'm not going into the Santos-Dumont/Wright Brothers dispute, but they technically didn't say he invented the airplane in the opening, he was only celebrated. We learn the "brazilian no-name"'s name at school, every single one of us (and probably also at least in France), so, you know, might not be the most sensible thing to say near brazilians.

I haven't seen the beginning but if the shots were of Copacabana and/or Ipanema beaches you bet they are actually that clean. The not-really clean beaches are the ones facing the interior of the bay (specially on Ilha do Governador), the sea-facing ones are clean if not crystalline.

The choice of person to lit the torch (Vanderlei) was great.

People here at first were polarized about Anitta singing with Caetano and Gil, but after William Waack tried to trash her in an interview and she stood up to herself opinion is coming around to her. But there are certainly other singers like Alcione who would be better for the occasion, I feel.

The ecological message was felt to be particularly hypocritical since there's been an ecological reservation destroyed to build a golf course for the olympics. But the athlete's garden was a nice idea.

Lea T being the first transgender person to participate in the opening was also a very nice touch.

Now, there's been a change in attitude in general about the olympic games. The same thing happened once the world cup started and I suspected would happen now also, but not so fast. It's the other side of the inferiority complex, I think; now that it's actually happening and it's placing Rio (and Brazil) in the world map so to speak people are resigning themselves to watching it and hoping for the best. And cheering the athletes, of course.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Da6s

Quote from: Sano on August 06, 2016, 10:42:21 PM

Anyway, I actually loved the opening. I'm not going into the Santos-Dumont/Wright Brothers dispute, but they technically didn't say he invented the airplane in the opening, he was only celebrated. We learn the "brazilian no-name"'s name at school, every single one of us (and probably also at least in France), so, you know, might not be the most sensible thing to say near brazilians.

I blame the shitawful today show american commentators then. They're the ones that gave the nod that "Brazillians believe he was the first man to achieve powered flight, and that the wright brothers had no witnesses".
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Sano

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:48:07 PM

I blame the shitawful today show american commentators then. They're the ones that gave the nod that "Brazillians believe he was the first man to achieve powered flight, and that the wright brothers had no witnesses".

We really are thaught that on schools (we are also taught he invented the pocket watch, but I don't know much about that). However, being interested in the history of technology I tend to think "the first to do/discover/invent x" are usually bad questions to make.

Just saw the news you posted, going to edit this to answer. From a cursory look it appears that some of it is simply sensationalism

Edit:

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:36:01 PM
2 Killed near olympics site. Double the number of police & soldiers deployed as London.

Not unusual at all for the city's standards, I think. I do understand how it'd scare people not from here though.

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:36:01 PMSerbian rowers fall into adenovirus waters

The Lagoa IIRC is actually one of the only areas where they did a nice job cleaning the pollution for the olympics and it really wasn't that polluted before. You'll notice the main problem complained about was the weather.

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:36:01 PMSuspicious package/Bomb detonated by Rio police near cycling finish line. "Live" Bullets rain down on media.

The (one) bullet thing is actually very strange. I have not the faintest idea why the police thinks it's a nice idea to explode things people leave behind.

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:36:01 PMFalse security of the opening ceremony is over. Now, the real shitshow starts.

I know how seeing a dead body might be very upsetting, but I'm not placing it in the "shitshow" category yet.

The thing is, most events seem to be happening without any inconveniences. I'm more optimistic today of the olympics being as much of a shitshow as the world cup, that is, no shitshow whatsoever.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Da6s

I haven't seen the beginning but if the shots were of Copacabana and/or Ipanema beaches you bet they are actually that clean. The not-really clean beaches are the ones facing the interior of the bay (specially on Ilha do Governador), the sea-facing ones are clean if not crystalline.

Makes you wonder why the hell they aren't having any of the water based sports there, where the water would actually be safe. I mean, Vancouver was the host city 6 years ago & they held all events at Whistler, like 2.5 hours by bus away. Piss poor planning.

Sano

Done.

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:53:10 PM

Makes you wonder why the hell they aren't having any of the water based sports there, where the water would actually be safe. I mean, Vancouver was the host city 6 years ago & they held all events at Whistler, like 2.5 hours by bus away. Piss poor planning.

Are you sure there won't be any? I haven't checked, but I believe only some sail events will be on the bay, the rest will be on the Lagoa and on sea-facing beaches.

Da6s

Quote from: Sano on August 06, 2016, 11:05:36 PM
Done.

Quote from: Da6s on August 06, 2016, 10:53:10 PM

Are you sure there won't be any? I haven't checked, but I believe only some sail events will be on the bay, the rest will be on the Lagoa and on sea-facing beaches.

Should've said all* of the water events.

QuoteI know how seeing a dead body might be very upsetting, but I'm not placing it in the "shitshow" category yet.

I guess I have never noticed media reporting violence in close proximity of the games until now. Can't recall any bombs, shootings, robbings, muggings, or murder at any Olympics since I've been watching - namely Sochi, London, Athens, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, Beijing. Nagano & atlanta I was too young to really remember at all.

I mean, sure all cities have violent parts. It's the amount of spillover into patrons of the games in all facets for why I refer to it as a shitshow. Sochi was probably the shabbiest I can remember, and even though their village was rushed to completion, they didn't have half the shit happening that Rio is. Might be par for the course there, which if so, games should never have been held there regardless.  I mean, all for the first games ever in South America, just put em somewhere where busloads of international media 2 miles from the airport aren't going to be in the middle of gunfights.

From that last article:
QuoteEveryone arriving for the Olympic Games from the international airport must pass along the Red Line motorway which is lined in large parts by Mare community, one of the most dangerous shanty-towns in the capital, in the grip of heavily armed drugs gangs.

Two years ago, just before the 2014 World Cup games, Rio sent in the hundreds of soldiers to clean up the no-go zone, using tanks, scores of army officers and heavy weaponry to try to wrest back control of the sprawling lawless slum.

But it's evident these major security measures haven't worked.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on August 07, 2016, 02:14:03 AM

I guess I have never noticed media reporting violence in close proximity of the games until now. Can't recall any bombs, shootings, robbings, muggings, or murder at any Olympics since I've been watching - namely Sochi, London, Athens, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, Beijing. Nagano & atlanta I was too young to really remember at all.

So you missed the whole mass-stabbing thing at Beijing?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Da6s

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 07, 2016, 04:22:39 AM
Quote from: Da6s on August 07, 2016, 02:14:03 AM

So you missed the whole mass-stabbing thing at Beijing?

Apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Beijing_Drum_Tower_stabbings

Reads like it was one unhinged psycho & he killed himself afterwards. I'll put that alongside the Atlanta bombings for psycho acting alone.

Cain

Well they did put London under effective military occupation.  13500 soldiers, an addtional 20,000 private security contractors, the Metropolitan Police given firearms, SAM launchers put on people's roofs, and that was just the British response.  Don't forget most Olympic teams had their own security people as well, and then throw into the mix that London has the biggest CIA presence west of Moscow and north of Mexico, and that the US military had rapid response teams, a destroyer and likely at least one nuclear submarine parked off our coastline.

Sano

The Maré certainly is a dangerous place, but it still isn't like there's gunfights there every day or indeed every month - I used to have to pass through there once a week (and many friends every day) for many years and without anything happening.

If it really was that bad, Rio's tourism wouldn't be what it is today because as the article says anyone leaving that airport has to go through it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Is it true that a kayaker ran into a sofa in the water?

My source is sketchy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 07:45:08 PM

My source is sketchy.

If it's not, it's still a great rumour for future boating events elsewhere. I'll be using it after the next Oxford/Cambridge bullshit thing for sure
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 07:45:08 PM

My source is sketchy.

Answer appears to be "no-one knows for sure, but if that's the worst of what you run into in the waterways of Rio, you should consider yourself quite lucky."