News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

what do you mean, "original"?

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 18, 2013, 05:41:17 PM
It's very much like being in the middle of an argument with a woman and out of the blue you start calling her "sweetie".
That is an excellent example. Not only do i understand it intellectually now, but emotionally as well. :cringe:
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: :regret: on December 18, 2013, 10:13:27 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 18, 2013, 05:41:17 PM
It's very much like being in the middle of an argument with a woman and out of the blue you start calling her "sweetie".
That is an excellent example. Not only do i understand it intellectually now, but emotionally as well. :cringe:

Yay!

I mean, it's just a cultural quirk, but I'm glad I was able to convey it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 18, 2013, 06:08:30 PM
Ok, so I do understand reducing the number of syllables when speaking to a friend, but I'd actually have to be living in Portland for about a year before I tried calling you "Kal". Which, perhaps, isn't a diminution more than a 'shortening'.

Which brings up another point. In face-to-face, IRL conversations, I can see shorter nicknames as an ease-of-use issue. But when it's a forum, there's really no added convenience to nicknames, and that only emphasizes the power-dynamic aspect.

People try it, from time to time.  :lol: I try to be gentle.

I actually realized that I do accept one diminutive of my name; plain old K. And one friend, perhaps due to some cosmic link, addresses me as a plural.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 18, 2013, 07:16:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 18, 2013, 05:46:18 PM
It's funny, my name doesn't even HAVE a diminutive form, but I get people (almost always men) trying to diminutize it as a power play all the time. I'm like, seriously, did you just call me "Kallie"? BRB, Richtering my knives.

They get what they ask for.   :lulz:

OH FUCK

I retract everything, best nickname EVER.

GrannySmith

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 19, 2013, 12:27:40 AM

Yay!

I get that too, but for me that would be incredibly annoying if it came with that known sarcastic facial expression:

I did not mean it like that, but rather like this:

though I do apologise for unknowingly insulting you Roger.
  X  

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: GrannySmith on December 19, 2013, 08:47:12 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 19, 2013, 12:27:40 AM

Yay!

I get that too, but for me that would be incredibly annoying if it came with that known sarcastic facial expression:

I did not mean it like that, but rather like this:

though I do apologise for unknowingly insulting you Roger.

S'okay.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.