News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Obama blinked.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 01, 2011, 02:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 07:59:56 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 12, 2011, 07:58:11 PM
So how do I chose vote?

I'm 76.9% serious, because this broken system is still better than any system currently employed for choosing a government than I can think of right now.

Use whatever criteria you like.  As Cain says, it won't make any difference.

I'm voting for The Smiler, because I'd really like to see fat teabaggers lose their damn minds some more.  Left wingers aren't nearly as funny in defeat.

If all else fails, choose the biggest, loudest, dumbest jackass you know.  Ask which way s/he is voting, and vote the other way.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

Your vote is especially worthless if you are in a "safe seat" or "blue/red state".  I've had exactly four votes in my life where the results could have gone either way and so my participation mattered.  Two of those were party election votes, and two were local council votes.

Remember my first rule of politics: if someone doesn't have to pay to have your alleigance, they will take you for granted.  The Democrats and Republicans can get 25% of voting Americans on each side by participating in a mostly pointless and diversionary "culture war", drawn up along socio-cultural lines.  They neither require not care about having your personal blessing for their administration.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 08:06:23 PM
Your vote is especially worthless if you are in a "safe seat" or "blue/red state".  I've had exactly four votes in my life where the results could have gone either way and so my participation mattered.  Two of those were party election votes, and two were local council votes.

Remember my first rule of politics: if someone doesn't have to pay to have your alleigance, they will take you for granted.  The Democrats and Republicans can get 25% of voting Americans on each side by participating in a mostly pointless and diversionary "culture war", drawn up along socio-cultural lines.  They neither require not care about having your personal blessing for their administration.

This would be more of a concern if I gave a fuck what happens to the United States as a political entity.  Since I don't view the government as in any way CAPABLE of doing its job (as stated in the constitution, rather than its actual job of making sure some Big Daddies get paid), the only thing left to vote for is what will cause the most butthurt.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

No argument there.  I'm just trying to destroy the notion that a vote, especially on the Presidential level, is actually worth anything.  It's not, except under very unusual circumstances which will almost certainly never apply to anyone here.

If you want to have an impact on politics, go buy a bank.  Or an oil company.  In the actually existing world, if you don't have at least 10 lobbyists doing your bidding in DC, you're a nobody, to be treated as a small child, yielding attention to you at certain pre-set times, coddling you and assuring you that your best interests are being looked out for, then told to leave the room because you're out of your depth and the adults are now talking.

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 07:36:50 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 04:34:15 PM
I feel it's my duty to vote.

No.

It is your duty to be a walking glitch.  Your vote is simply one more tool in doing so.
'Course.

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 08:06:23 PM
Your vote is especially worthless if you are in a "safe seat" or "blue/red state".  I've had exactly four votes in my life where the results could have gone either way and so my participation mattered.  Two of those were party election votes, and two were local council votes.

Remember my first rule of politics: if someone doesn't have to pay to have your alleigance, they will take you for granted.  The Democrats and Republicans can get 25% of voting Americans on each side by participating in a mostly pointless and diversionary "culture war", drawn up along socio-cultural lines.  They neither require not care about having your personal blessing for their administration.
Yep. Fresno ALWAYS goes Conservative. I'm pretty sure Lincoln lost here (or would have, if anyone was dumb enough to live here year round back then), and California is usually Democratic territory as a state, so my piddly PFP vote matters in no way whatsoever.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 08:13:52 PM
No argument there.  I'm just trying to destroy the notion that a vote, especially on the Presidential level, is actually worth anything.  It's not, except under very unusual circumstances which will almost certainly never apply to anyone here.

Yeah. When democrats tell me I'm throwing away my vote, I point out that everyone is throwing away their vote, and at least more visibility for the Greens could help make them more viable in local elections that actually might be good for something.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 12, 2011, 08:19:45 PM

Yeah. When democrats tell me I'm throwing away my vote, I point out that everyone is throwing away their vote, and at least more visibility for the Greens could help make them more viable in local elections that actually might be good for something.

Like what?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 08:20:11 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 12, 2011, 08:19:45 PM
No argument there.  I'm just trying to destroy the notion that a vote, especially on the Presidential level, is actually worth anything.  It's not, except under very unusual circumstances which will almost certainly never apply to anyone here.

Like what?

City councils, eventually state offices.

ETA: There seems to be some evidence of it working too. In elections that don't have a Republican contender, Green challengers pull around 20% of the vote, as opposed to the often less than 2% in Governor and Presidential elections.

Cain

The Greens will automatically be locked out of the political system wherever they are elected, unless they submit to the logic that governs the Democrats and Republicans.  Same goes for the Libertarians.

The only way the Greens would have any impact is if a large number of voters abandoned the Democrats for them at once, because then the Democrats would have to fight for their votes.  And this won't happen, because, well, OMG LOOK A SCARY REPUBLICAN MIGHT GET INTO POWER YOU BETTER VOTE DEMOCRAT!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 08:27:18 PM
The Greens will automatically be locked out of the political system wherever they are elected, unless they submit to the logic that governs the Democrats and Republicans.  Same goes for the Libertarians.

The only way the Greens would have any impact is if a large number of voters abandoned the Democrats for them at once, because then the Democrats would have to fight for their votes.  And this won't happen, because, well, OMG LOOK A SCARY REPUBLICAN MIGHT GET INTO POWER YOU BETTER VOTE DEMOCRAT!

Heh.

Nader/Bush, 2000.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 08:27:50 PM

Heh.

Nader/Bush, 2000.

2000 wasn't an election, it was an appointment.

AFK

I dunno what they are like in Massachussets, but in Maine, the Greens are just as scary as the TeaBaggers, just scary in the equal and opposite direction. 

I mean, I don't think they could fuck up the State any worse than LePage, but I'd be pretty okay with them being as far away from political office as possible. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 12, 2011, 08:35:24 PM
I dunno what they are like in Massachussets, but in Maine, the Greens are just as scary as the TeaBaggers, just scary in the equal and opposite direction. 

I mean, I don't think they could fuck up the State any worse than LePage, but I'd be pretty okay with them being as far away from political office as possible. 

They're basically hippies here.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 08:27:50 PM

Heh.

Nader/Bush, 2000.

2000 wasn't an election, it was an appointment.

True, but Nader made it possible.  Nader ran twice, splitting the left vote.  He wouldn't quit when it became apparent that he wouldn't attain the 5% required for matching funds, and he spent all his time dogging on Gore, presumably for not being "pure" enough.

The only question I have is, did they buy him or blackmail him?

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2011, 07:55:46 PM
You can vote for whichever branch of the oligarchy most flatters your social biases and cultural leanings, because, really, it doesn't matter a damn.  Wall Street ownership of the executive and legislative branch will not change.  The retarded one step forward, 15,000 steps back approach to empire building will not be curtailed.  War with Iran will still be on the cards.  The NSA will still ask you "a/s/l?" in the chatrooms, despite having CCTV installed on your actual nose.  Politics will still be a game played at by upper class media pundits with Harvard degrees, political/media legacies, or both, and everyone else will get ground into paste for your robotic shock-troopers to feed off, as they fly to invade East Turkmenistan.

Bingo.

And bollocks to the idea that you HAVE to vote. If it weren't for my agenda of hilarity I sure as hell wouldn't bother because if you leave the humor factor out of it, it's really just providing a veneer of legitimacy to a corrupt system.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"