News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Obama blinked.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 01, 2011, 02:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

True on the national level.  But voting can have a bit more impact on the state and local level, depending on your state or locality. 

The problem is that a lot of people don't get involved in local politics because they don't think it is important enough.  Which is really nutty if you ask me. 

And even if you don't. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 12, 2011, 08:52:37 PM
True on the national level.  But voting can have a bit more impact on the state and local level, depending on your state or locality. 

The problem is that a lot of people don't get involved in local politics because they don't think it is important enough.  Which is really nutty if you ask me. 

And even if you don't. 

Yeah, which is probably why whoever the Mayor of Boston happens to be essentially gets a lifetime appointment. Never any serious contenders once you're an incumbent because no one cares as long as you don't fuck things up too much.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 12, 2011, 08:55:46 PM
Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 12, 2011, 08:52:37 PM

And even if you don't. 

Yeah, which is probably why whoever the Mayor of Boston happens to be essentially gets a lifetime appointment. Never any serious contenders once you're an incumbent because no one cares as long as you don't fuck things up too much.

Our mayors universally go insane in their second term.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Mine Fresno's just looks increasingly like an Armenian anorexic barbie doll with every term. I have no idea who mine is at all.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 09:16:12 PM
Mine Fresno's just looks increasingly like an Armenian anorexic barbie doll with every term. I have no idea who mine is at all.

Oro Valley's mayor is a republican, but remarkably seems to have no major brain damage.  His town hall meetings usually turn into screaming matches where he calls people "numb cunts" for wanting to slash education funding for their own children's schools, and REALLY goes berserk when the fundies try to cancel health and/or biology classes.

Then he gets reelected, like clockwork.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

Sounds like a decent guy for a Repub, I have to say.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 09:22:34 PM

Tucson's mayor is also a republican, though none of the other republicans will talk to him, because he makes sure the homeless people are taken care of, despite the fact that Tucson is balls-ass broke.

He has a rather stressful job, though, and has - over the last 6 months - completely lost his mind.  He wanders around the legal district at night, drunk off his ass and puking on things.  Then he finally passes out and the police have to shovel his fat ass into a van and take him home.

We don't talk about it much, here.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 09:25:31 PM

Tucson's mayor is also a republican, though none of the other republicans will talk to him, because he makes sure the homeless people are taken care of, despite the fact that Tucson is balls-ass broke.

He has a rather stressful job, though, and has - over the last 6 months - completely lost his mind.  He wanders around the legal district at night, drunk off his ass and puking on things.  Then he finally passes out and the police have to shovel his fat ass into a van and take him home.

Mayor Walkup is the human personification of the Tucsonite's general lot in life.

Fracture sometimes wonders if he was really born, or if Tucson had him created as a sort of symbol.  "This is you,"  the God-City says.  "This is your place in the natural order of things.  Don't expect anything else."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 12, 2011, 09:31:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 09:25:31 PM

Mayor Walkup is the human personification of the Tucsonite's general lot in life.

Fracture sometimes wonders if he was really born, or if Tucson had him created as a sort of symbol.  "This is you,"  the God-City says.  "This is your place in the natural order of things.  Don't expect anything else."

When our mayors go insane, nobody says anything...Because they stop running for election, and the new guy pretty much knows he's gonna do the same thing.

And Mayor Walkup is in his afterlife, just as we are in ours.  This is what he gets, for whatever vices or virtues he had in life.

Juana

The amount of mythos you two have around Tucson makes me more than a little envious.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 09:36:27 PM
The amount of mythos you two have around Tucson makes me more than a little envious.

We didn't make this shit up.  It's just a sinkhole of probability.  EVERYTHING fails.  Everything falls apart.  Our politicians are nuts, our SWAT team is absolutely bonkers, the rest of our cops are over-worked but definitely superior...In fact, the only that DOES work here is our emergency services.

I think because it has to.

Juana

Yeah, we don't even get that. Fresno is a sink hole of corruption and fail all around.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 09:39:16 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 09:36:27 PM

We didn't make this shit up.  It's just a sinkhole of probability.  EVERYTHING fails.  Everything falls apart.  Our politicians are nuts, our SWAT team is absolutely bonkers, the rest of our cops are over-worked but definitely superior...In fact, the only that DOES work here is our emergency services.

I think because it has to.

If they didn't, this whole section of the US would be like the LA riots, only 24/7, with no time off for good behavior.

It would be Mad Max without the occasional good deed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 12, 2011, 09:46:20 PM
Yeah, we don't even get that. Fresno is a sink hole of corruption and fail all around.

Oh, we have corruption.  Oh, my, yes.

You can't fill a fucking POT HOLE in this city without crossing someone's palm, and getting a building permit to fix a deck, for example, will cost you plenty.  Not to mention our robocop graft system.

Juana

The wealthiest school district here uses its lawyer to pressure the news paper into not reporting pedophile and drug addict teachers, because it's a much more valuable client than the paper.