News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 10, 2014, 05:00:26 PM
In other news, there's the "ice water challenge".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reason-crazy-ice-water-challenge-trend/story?id=24886646

When challenged, you have 24 hours to pour a bucket of ice water on your head, or you have to donate $100 towards ALS research.

Besides the fact that the most useful thing you can do is not accept the challenge, doesn't pouring a bucket of ice water on your head seem a bit arbitrary?

I kind of want to start a "put out lit cigarettes on your arm for dyslexia" challenge.

Everyone I've seen doing it has donated at least something IN ADDITION to pouring ice water on themselves. They've raised $1.39 million since the start of the trend, compared with $22,000 over the same time period last year, so it's both fun and effective.

I'm starting to see the anti-ice water challenge posts crop up on my feed, which means only one thing to me:  escalation. When I get home from work I'm going to put on facebook that I'll donate $5 for every person in my feed with a needlessly cynical ice water challenge status. It starts at $20, just from today.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Pæs

I'm seeing people claim the idea is to donate $10 if you do the challenge, $100 if you don't. But because it's being passed around on Facebook, most of the time the point is lost and it's just "HEY <tag 5 friends> PUT ICE WATER ON YOSELF." One person has claimed it's to simulate the shock you feel when you find out that you have a life-threatening illness.

Most of the time it's "Ha, I did the ice thing, now this list of people need to do it also or pay $100" followed by weird shaming for people who don't freeze themselves or have a spare $100.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on August 10, 2014, 08:03:59 PM

so this happened to my room today.

it used to be urban concrete grey/battleship grey and it was horrible and depressing.

Look at that turquoise. I dare you to feel shitty looking at that. CANT BE DONE!

That's an awesome color, that is.  :)
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Pæs on August 11, 2014, 09:40:23 PM
I'm seeing people claim the idea is to donate $10 if you do the challenge, $100 if you don't. But because it's being passed around on Facebook, most of the time the point is lost and it's just "HEY <tag 5 friends> PUT ICE WATER ON YOSELF." One person has claimed it's to simulate the shock you feel when you find out that you have a life-threatening illness.

Most of the time it's "Ha, I did the ice thing, now this list of people need to do it also or pay $100" followed by weird shaming for people who don't freeze themselves or have a spare $100.

The bold - Well that's some interesting bullshit. Bet that catches on nicely as a justification too.

I suppose the shaming part is somewhat expected. Being unable to afford spurious luxuries and bets and such is quite socially unacceptable. You might accidentally make people notice the employment/wealth disparities in our culture.

Also, nice work with the Interview. Good Luck that upside down person.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 11, 2014, 08:42:44 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reason-crazy-ice-water-challenge-trend/story?id=24886646

When challenged, you have 24 hours to pour a bucket of ice water on your head, or you have to donate $100 towards ALS research.

Besides the fact that the most useful thing you can do is not accept the challenge, doesn't pouring a bucket of ice water on your head seem a bit arbitrary?

I kind of want to start a "put out lit cigarettes on your arm for dyslexia" challenge.

Everyone I've seen doing it has donated at least something IN ADDITION to pouring ice water on themselves. They've raised $1.39 million since the start of the trend, compared with $22,000 over the same time period last year, so it's both fun and effective.

I'm starting to see the anti-ice water challenge posts crop up on my feed, which means only one thing to me:  escalation. When I get home from work I'm going to put on facebook that I'll donate $5 for every person in my feed with a needlessly cynical ice water challenge status. It starts at $20, just from today.

Yeah, I was going to post a follow-up, since I heard on NPR today that donations to ALS have gone up 1000%.  That's not a typo.

One can bloviate about short-term spikes vs long-term slopes, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this thing actually worked.  Nice going, internet!

Junkenstein

Conversations I can't even believe I'm having #444553/J -

"If you see someone doing something which could kill them, do you have a moral obligation to say something?"
"Yes"
"But what if..."
"No. You stop shit until it's safe"
"But what if..."
"No"
"But..."
"No. Who is acting the fool?"
"Well I don't want to say..."
"Stop fucking about and tell me or I'll blame you for whatever it is that is about to go wrong"

I swear, at this rate the Crowbar of Truth and Justice is going to make an appearance.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Just got my test results. No cancer.

Or STD and my pap was clean.

But holy fuck, no cancer.

Off to happy dance down the street, bbl.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Junkenstein

LMNO

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 12, 2014, 05:37:39 PM
Just got my test results. No cancer.

Or STD and my pap was clean.

But holy fuck, no cancer.

Off to happy dance down the street, bbl.

:hammer:

Suu

I've decided to make a dress for the husband's chief pinning, because I'm poor, and I can actually get something I want this way.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

minuspace

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 10, 2014, 03:38:44 AM
So, these multiple Discordian group pages on FB I've been volunteered for.

I suppose I haven't been paying attention to youth culture recently, but when did "FGT" become an acceptable, no-harm-done substitute for "faggot", and why the fuck is everyone OK with it?

I am once again reconsidering my self-identification, if these are my peers.

I've been bothered by it too. I'll read on, but I'm uncertain what to make of it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

You still have to donate. It's just a matter of if you aren't donating $100+, you should call attention to it by posting a silly video. $20 here, since I'm otherwise pretty poor and can't really spare $100.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 12, 2014, 11:33:54 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 11, 2014, 08:42:44 PM

Yeah, I was going to post a follow-up, since I heard on NPR today that donations to ALS have gone up 1000%.  That's not a typo.

One can bloviate about short-term spikes vs long-term slopes, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this thing actually worked.  Nice going, internet!

Here's the video I did, where I actually went into some detail about the thing before bucketing, and pointing out that you pour the bucket if you're not donating a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHvnq9QYh5I&list=UUwVZ2fdI_WYBHuPhvlCRg0Q

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh, uh, also, apparently, no one I challenged has accepted, so, I also nominate LMNO.