News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Solar-pocalypse

Started by DiscoUkulele, August 03, 2010, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscoUkulele

Huge blasts of sun's plasma hurtling toward Earth

A massive solar storm is sending plasma our way. Luckily, it isn't predicted to be strong enough to do anything to our satellites or power grids, but it could be the largest solar storm to reach the Earth in quite some time.

Some lucky people (including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) may get some dazzling aurora activity as early as tonight (8/3/2010-8/4/2010).

You shouldn't let poets lie to you.
                                 - Bjork

AFK

Boo!  Moar fire and brimstone now!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Aucoq

Everything cool always seems to happen in the southern hemisphere and/or Asia. For once, I'd love for an apocalyptic hellstorm to take place here instead.  :cry:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

DiscoUkulele

Quote from: Aucoq on August 03, 2010, 05:23:29 PM
Everything cool always seems to happen in the southern hemisphere and/or Asia. For once, I'd love for an apocalyptic hellstorm to take place here instead.  :cry:

Seriously. Nothing cool ever happens here. All of the eclipses and stuff are always on the other side of the world.
                                 - Bjork

Kai

http://spaceweather.com/ - a good source for information on aurora, among other things.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Pæs

:aaa:

*Goes outside to check*

DiscoUkulele

Northern lights could illuminate the sky late Tuesday night

You yanks out there might get lucky tonight. If you live in the northern US, you might be able to see auroras late tonight/early tomorrow if you look to the north.

E: Correction, possibly. According to Large solar storm headed our way, there could be a chance that the entire US, even as far south as Texas (yay!) could see an aurora tonight.

Quote from: examinert remains to be seen if this deal will live up to expectations or how far south it will be visible if it does. Your best chance to find out is to be far away from city lights, under a clear sky, looking toward the north around midnight to 3:00AM Wednesday morning (After which the rising moon in its waning quarter could spoil viewing), or starting an hour or two after sunset on Wednesday evening through early Thursday morning.
                                 - Bjork

Jasper

This is the awesomest shit.  Oh fuck.

NotPublished

I'll keep my eyes peeled and camera on the ready .. in case :)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Telarus

Quote from: Sigmatic on August 03, 2010, 09:18:01 PM
This is the awesomest shit.  Oh fuck.

Fuck yeah it is. I wonder if the other locals know.......
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 03, 2010, 05:21:36 PM
Boo!  Moar fire and brimstone now!

Ra is ANGRY!  Solar Tsunami!  The sun is a terrorist!  Internets will be BORKED because jesus hates gay anti-american abortions!  Satellites and planes will be thrown out of the sky!  Hot Ionized Gas Ejection!

:aaa:

Some beautiful pics already up on the SpaceWeather site... Aliens landing in Denmark...

Thanks for the link, DiscoUke. 

Quote from: NotPublished on August 03, 2010, 11:39:56 PM

^Also this^
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Rumckle

Quote from: NotPublished on August 03, 2010, 11:39:56 PM

I'm not sure we are going to get to see it :(

It seems to be going only as far north as Melbourne.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

NotPublished

FFS!

I swear I thought I saw something in the sky today!!! I asked everyone and they thought I was insane, but their used to my oddities now
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Rumckle

Well if it gets more intense tomorrow night we may be able to see it, I'm not sure how it will change.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Pæs

My phone is made of static and my internet is pretty dodgy. Apparently it's happening nationwide.
I blame this.