News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Post removed by poster.

Started by ~, October 29, 2010, 04:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I think you need to man up and form a Discordian doctrine.  It could be based on the soul-crushing look in your eyes, or something.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 06, 2010, 04:33:26 AM
I think you need to man up and form a Discordian doctrine.  It could be based on the soul-crushing look in your eyes, or something.

have you ever looked deeply into your own eyes?

Salty

I did and it changed my life.

CAN'T.....

STOP.....

FAPPING!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Alty on November 06, 2010, 04:48:02 AM
I did and it changed my life.

CAN'T.....

STOP.....

FAPPING!
You should stop that, you could go blind that way, or at the very least set yourself on fire.

Jasper

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 06, 2010, 04:38:08 AM

:lulz: 

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 06, 2010, 05:12:48 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 06, 2010, 04:38:08 AM

:lulz: 

Coyote is threatening to threaten me with the DOOMTM, but he is laughing too hard for me to take him seriously. Of course this means something will explode in the near future.

Jasper

What you need is your own DOOMTM to threaten people with.  

Mutually Assured Doom.  

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 06, 2010, 04:01:29 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 06, 2010, 03:51:19 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 01, 2010, 04:56:49 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 31, 2010, 12:05:05 AM
My belief system has nothing to do with Cyrillic.

I don't believe in Cyrillic.  It's just something the Russians made up so they could laugh at other people when they try to actually read it.

Not actually that difficult until you run into tvyordiy znak.

That sounds like some kind of Calvin and Hobbes monster deity.

It means "hard letter" even though it's not really a letter but a guide to where you separate the syllables in consonant combinations. It looks like this: ъ

Edit- just realized that the only word I remember it being in only has one consonant in that spot (word for horse).
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 06, 2010, 05:21:03 AM

Mutually Assured Doom.  

One does not simply threaten a mythic being with a DOOMTM. And now I know what to name my messer that has been un-named for close to 5 years.

Phox

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 06, 2010, 05:24:24 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on November 06, 2010, 05:21:03 AM

Mutually Assured Doom.  

One does not simply threaten a mythic being with a DOOMTM. And now I know what to name my messer that has been un-named for close to 5 years.

I think you mean one shouldn't threaten a mythic being with a DOOMTM. :lulz:

Telarus

Quote from: Liam on November 06, 2010, 09:44:56 AM
QuoteBut I'm not a Discorwhatsits, how can my version be just as valid?

oh you'd like to think eh?  :lol:

Is this the "If they're our brothers, how come we can't eat them?" Koan for the current Age?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Brotep

Quote from: Liam on November 05, 2010, 01:45:55 PM

/
                        frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!

OK. I'll fix it for you.

QuoteEveryone's Discordia is equally invalid.

Just like everyone's art is equally not art.

DOES THIS MAKE YOU HAPPY OH REALLY REAL ONE?

YESSSS FINALLY

REALLY REAL DISCORDIANISM IS ABOUT PHOTOCHOPS
...AND NOTHING ELSE

Brotep

Nobody owns the word, so there's no way to say what is or is not Discordianism. In that I agree with everyone else ITT.
However, some versions of Discordianism, while perfectly legitimate in their claim to the name, are dumb.

In case you're serious, here is a brief description of what I believe to be worthwhile. Muumuus not included.

[threadjack]
Culture-jamming is fun, and mindfucking others ultimately encourages you to mindfuck yourself. Anyone can break shit down, though; one then has an opportunity to build something new.

I believe in structuring experience rather than accepting at face value what is foisted on you by the world, because the world is fucked up chaos.
There is an interesting take on that described in this book, which is written as an exposition of William Blake. For Blake, there is no higher faculty than imagination, and art is the greatest of human endeavors. I am inclined to agree.
[/threadjack]

E.O.T.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Brotep

Quote from: Liam on November 07, 2010, 04:09:19 AM
No honest, I'm always up for a new program and / or perspective on shit. I'll give that bad boy a read. Google books seems to have that one bar the chapter entitled 'THE BURDEN OF THE VALLEY OF VISION ' for some reason ???

Culture-jamming was a new thing to me when I recently saw The Yes Men Save The World. If that was for reals. OMH. They have huge big brass bollocks. Also hey, its not a threadjack, its on topic totally.

Cool. I'll have to go back and see what that chapter is about. AFAIK Google Books excludes chapters from copyrighted material at random. Or maybe there's something about that one chapter.

Really, though, outside the epic poems it is relatively easy to understand what is going on in Blake by reading him directly. Both that book and Blake's corpus are more about the what and the why than the how.

While I've not (yet) experienced quite the same artistic visionary rapture of creation, I strongly identify with the basic project of making perception less dependent upon the world. I want to know how perception works--not on a neurological level, but an experiential level--and how it can be altered.

So many percepts are, like a Necker Cube, subject to will. The more ambiguity, the more this is so. I noticed there were two ways to experience the taste of a specific restaurant's taco meat--in one way of tasting it was mediocre, and in the other it was unbearably nauseating. By assuming/imagining you can bend all kinds of experiences into more desirable shapes.