News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Marshal McLuhan and Media Subversion

Started by Bu🤠ns, December 10, 2009, 05:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The thing marked "side A" and "side B" is the audio collage freakout.

I think it does the book better justice than a straight-up audio book might, but McLuhan did this stuff a lot.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

I want to thank you for finding that.  An old boyfriend had that on vinyl, and when he left me, that was one of the things I missed most, in retrospect.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Bang Bang Zoom on May 03, 2010, 02:17:11 PM
So, I found that McLuhan audiobook

There's a moment around 7m55s on the Dick Cavett show link, which I'm not quite sure what to make of, since I don't recognise either experience they describe:

Dick:  "What do you think that feeling is, when sometimes you have maybe an hour to spend in the house and you don't want to turn the television on because it kind of changes your consciousness, it's a little like when you come out of a movie you can't really talk for a while..."

Marshall: "It's strange isn't it? I've noticed people come out of a show they're rather numb, when they walk out of the show there's very little conversation, they seem to be abstracted, wafted off into a world of private experience."

Cramulus

woah! speak of the devil...

welcome back, FP! where've you been?

Captain Utopia

Cheers  :)

I've been flouncing, investing time into other things, then missing the people and creative energies of this crazy place.

Cramulus

Bu🤠ns

:mittens: that's a great pic!  Bobby fucking rocks

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I recently finished War and Peace in the Global Village, and it corresponds nicely with out neosituationist ideas of combining memebombs with images (though McLuhan calls them 'probes', and focuses on the 'shrapnel' effect -- when given a statement that counters some notion we adhere to, we can determine the nature of our notion based on the defense mechanisms we exhibit).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.