News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Inspired by Navkat: Today's Content.

Started by LMNO, September 15, 2011, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

"Let go, and let God." 

What the hell is THAT all about? What makes humans so desperate to give up their independence? This isn't just laying down in front of an Alpha, with all their charisma and personality, this is laying down in front of a story you were told as a child-- a fantasy. 

There must be something wrong with our wiring that allows us to shirk our personal responsibilities so easily to our imagination, to accept so readily an obviously flawed false memetic consciousness. 

Sure, we say that Chaos doesn't care, and anything we try to Order creates it's own Disorder. That you should never piss against the wind. Some even talk of Wu-Wei, flowing with the river. But mostly, we talk about surfing the Waves of Chaos-- and when you surf, you don't just let the wave take you against your will. You get on TOP of that fucker, and you make CHOICES, and you STEER YOURSELF down that wall of water. It's up to you to USE that wave to do what you want. And if you forget that, the wave is gonna swallow you whole, and rub your face across the coral bed on the bottom. 

Luna

But it makes perfect sense, LMNO.

It absolves you. Nothing is your fault,, nothing is your responsibility. All you have to do is sit in the back seat and ride along, trusting that everything will be FINE.  Don't you see the beauty of it?  God will handle everything, any troubles you have, well, they're part of His PLAN, you don't have to understand, just lie back and take it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Juana

^That. And God will exact righteous vengeance on wrong doers, Old Testament style.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Luna on September 15, 2011, 09:36:24 PM

It absolves you. Nothing is your fault,, nothing is your responsibility. All you have to do is sit in the back seat and ride along, trusting that everything will be FINE.  Don't you see the beauty of it?  God will handle everything, any troubles you have, well, they're part of His PLAN, you don't have to understand, just lie back and take it.

This.

This, forever and ever, until the last train car finally hurtles off the cliff and it's still nobody's fault, somehow.

Luna

Quote from: Cainad on September 15, 2011, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 15, 2011, 09:36:24 PM

This.

This, forever and ever, until the last train car finally hurtles off the cliff and it's still nobody's fault, somehow.

Exactly.

I understand this, sick as it is.  I grew up having it spoon-fed to me.  If you can swallow it, it's a very peaceful way to live.  Just do what God wants you to do, and everything will be fine.  And you don't even have to worry about what He wants, some guy in a suit will TELL you what He wants, once a week, standing in front of a podium. They'll tell you how to live, what to think, how to speak. They'll even tell you who you're supposed to hate.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Faust

You could also interpret that as let go of your day to day mortal failings, and the indecision you feel and assume your rightful place as god.

Do what thou wilt and let that be the whole of the law and such.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

It all comes down to a matter of perspective I'm sure. As far as I can recall Catholicism didn't really have that sort of mindset. Like it's not God's doing that you have something bad happen to you. Wasn't the devil either. It was your own damn fault. But somehow you still have to tell the management you're sorry about it. But aside from the occasional rare miracle, which the Vatican actively seeks to debunk, Catholic God is more concerned about whether you're a douchebag or not. Unless you get an abortion or have buttsechs. He's nosy about those things.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Reeducation

"Let go, and let God."

I read it like:

Let go of rationalizing and analyzing everything and let your intuition (heart) guide you. As new age as that sounds.
It's the word "God" that sets people off.

I am very calm

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Reeducation on September 16, 2011, 10:05:47 AM
"Let go, and let God."

I read it like:

Let go of rationalizing and analyzing everything and let your intuition (heart) guide you. As new age as that sounds.

I suppose that's a valid way of reading the statement, but...

it doesn't help if one's intuition is stupid, or if one mistakes for intuition a series of subconsciously implanted memes that one is not interested in picking apart to understand.

Reeducation

Quote from: Cainad on September 16, 2011, 01:09:40 PM
"Let go, and let God."

I read it like:

it doesn't help if one's intuition is stupid, or if one mistakes for intuition a series of subconsciously implanted memes that one is not interested in picking apart to understand.

I agree.
I am very calm

Jenne

I use this jokingly a LOT.  I mean, A LOT.  Because I'm surrounded by a lot of crazy-ass motherfucking Type A's that worry themselves ineffectually to DEATH over minutiae.  If you worry to the exclusion of big shit over little shit, you're not going to get real far in where you need to go.  So LET THE FUCK GO of the little shit...focus on what MATTERS. 

I don't see letting go necessarily as shirking.  In fact, I think sometimes it can be the key to ultimate salvation.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cainad on September 16, 2011, 01:09:40 PM
"Let go, and let God."

I read it like:

How would you know your intuition is stupid? If it's reliably stupid, then you could quickly just go with the opposite, right?

How would you know you've adequately understood subconsciously implanted memes, and can proceed?

It seems like there's a time and place for careful self-examination, but usually, I find that after all that thinking, I'm just going to go with my first intuition anyway.

You should read Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink".
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

> If it's reliably stupid, then you could quickly just go with the opposite, right?

heyhey, you know just as well that the opposite is "stupid" is not "smart". IF ONLY!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 04, 2011, 01:26:01 PM
> If it's reliably stupid, then you could quickly just go with the opposite, right?

heyhey, you know just as well that the opposite is "stupid" is not "smart". IF ONLY!

Sure it is. If your intuition is reliably wrong when it tells you to do something, DON'T DO IT.

When it tells you NOT to do something, DO IT!

I actually did this for a time, because my intuition was reliably wrong around a particular subject.

Specifically, social situations. My intuition would say, if you say what you're thinking, then something terrible will happen!

Now, it intuits correctly when I shouldn't say something. Usually.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Net on October 04, 2011, 01:52:25 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on October 04, 2011, 01:26:01 PM

Sure it is. If your intuition is reliably wrong when it tells you to do something, DON'T DO IT.

When it tells you NOT to do something, DO IT!

I actually did this for a time, because my intuition was reliably wrong around a particular subject.

Specifically, social situations. My intuition would say, if you say what you're thinking, then something terrible will happen!

Now, it intuits correctly when I shouldn't say something. Usually.

I'll actually agree with this for pretty much the exact same scenario.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.