News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Potatoes!!

Started by trippinprincezz13, August 11, 2008, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippinprincezz13

Potatoes are right there with bacon at the top of my awesome foods list and we do have some of potato with the majority of our dinners.  However, looking for new and delicious things to do with them.

Normally we're either doing baked or mashed, with the intermittent scalloped/au gratin, potato salad and french fries.

Trying to look up recipes for ideas, I usually come across various methods of the above dishes, and I'd really like to find some new ideas to shove potatoes into our meals. 

Any favorite potato recipes would be greatly appreciated. It does not need to be a potato only dish, but looking for primarily side dishes, unless meat is included - then it can be a main dish.

Thanks!
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

BADGE OF HONOR

Chop potatoes into discs.  Cook in a pan (add butter, salt) until crispy brown.  Throw on some eggs.  Voila, spanish omelets! (as my mom called them)
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Potato curry of various varieties is w1n.

Potato pizza - thin and crispy base - is also genius.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Contessa_Ugolino

Chop two parts each of potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and pumpkin into large chunks. Add one part each of onion, garlic, and tomato. Toss with olive oil and salt. Roast in the oven at 375-400 degrees for two hours, stirring every half hour, until edges are well caramelized. Mash with butter and pepper (if you add the pepper with the salt, it tends to burn).

In the unlikely event of leftovers, fry 'em up as little pancake thingies.

Protip: cutting up a pumpkin is a pain in the ass, but so worth it. It will take roughly twice as long as you think it will.

Also, make mashed potatoes with the blue ones? And you get a Dr. Seuss side dish.
WE'RE PROBABLY NOT AS JUDGMENTAL AS YOU MIGHT THINK.

Richter

Funeral potatoes.
Ask Nigel how.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Voodoo

Hasselback Roasted Potatoes
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvine, 2007
Show:     Food Network Specials
Episode:     All-Star Holiday Dishes
2 pounds potatoes, medium sized (your choice of type)
Salt
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup canola, vegetable or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup very finely parsley leaves

Peel the potatoes and rinse to remove any traces of dirt. Cut into the potatoes into uniform pieces. (This will help in cooking time if they are all similar.) Take a sharp knife and beginning on 1 end, cut about 2/3 through the potato. Repeat the same incision from 1 end of the potato to the other, spacing the cuts uniformly. (The idea is to create the look of a fan, which is why you don't cut all the way through the potato.)

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and cook until just tender. (Do not overcook. The potatoes should remain a little hard, as they will continue to cook during roasting.)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Drain the potatoes and place them on absorbent toweling to remove excess water. Mix the flour and salt and pepper, to taste, in a bowl and carefully toss with the already blanched potatoes. Place the floured potatoes onto a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Bake until golden brown, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.

To finish, scoop the potatoes with a slotted spoon onto absorbent paper toweling and to drain any excess oil. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the parsley.

trippinprincezz13

These all sound delicious. Thanks guys! Like I said, I always love potatoes, but some variety is nice.

Quote from: Rev. St. Syn, KSC on August 11, 2008, 09:31:26 PM
Potato curry of various varieties is w1n.

I know there were discussions in another thread of exactly what "curry" counts as. Stews? With curry powder (pre-mixed?) ? Sounds intriguing, but I don't know much about curry in any form. I can always do more research on this of course.
Quote from: Nigel on August 12, 2008, 02:19:46 AM
Potato leek soup!
I love doing soups and I think this one might be next on my list when I find a good recipe. Also...
Quote from: Richter on August 12, 2008, 03:15:07 PM
Funeral potatoes.
Ask Nigel how.

I know I've seen a few references to your funeral potatoes too, Nigel. Not sure if you've posted a recipe or not...or would be so kind as to pass it on :D

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2008, 04:55:54 AM
Oh, now you're asking for it! OK, I will start with Funeral Potatoes:

1 can Campbells Cream of Whatever soup
1 lb shredded cheese (in Mormonland, "cheese" ALWAYS means cheddar. Other types will be individually specified if necessary)
1 8-oz container of sour cream
1 bunch of green onions
1 16-oz bag of shredded hash brown potatoes
1 tube of Ritz crackers, or if you're feeling FANCY you can use Pringles.

Chop the onions. Dump everything but the crackers into a bowl and mix well. Transfer into a casserole dish, crush the crackers on top, and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Bring to your favorite funerals, bible study meetings, or family reunions! A real crowd-pleaser!

Caution: for some reason this recipe WILL NOT WORK if you try substituting fresh, grated potatoes. Maybe it would be OK if they were chopped rather than grated, but I don't want to try it after what happened last time.

EDIT: looking at the ingredients list I am realizing that this recipe is not fucking cheap for the amount of food, not to even consider the amount of nutrition and what you'll have to pay for cholesterol-lowering meds, so if I post any more DELICIOUS Mormon recipes it will have to be in a different thread. I know you're all so disappointed!
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

trippinprincezz13

Awesome. Thanks!

Actually sounds similar to the au gratin potatoes I've made. Green onions, ritz/pringles and hash browns being the main differences. Am interested in this though to see how it'd work with the hash browns.

In the recipe I used, it actually recommended hash browns, but I wanted to use fresh potatoes, so I sliced them. Still came out delicious, but took FOREVER to cook and the potatoes weren't cooked evenly and some not even fully - should have stirred them more, though that defeated the purpose of putting them in the oven and forgetting.

And OMG so much cheese!! I used a combo of mild to extra sharp cheddars and a bit of monterey jack and probably whatever misc. cheese remains I had lying around. Soooo horrible for you, but so good.

I'm gonna have to try it with the hashbrowns though. See if it cooks better.

Richter

My mom's done a similar recipie, but with a bit of mustard thrown in, and potato chunks, not hash brown.

Gratting raw potatoe could work, but judging by Nigel's warning, I'd say cook them a bit first.
(microwave 1/2 way, bake, or shred and boild in a bit of water first maybe?)

Sir Squid Diddimus

BADGE OF HONOR

Oh yeah, grilling!

Hobo food:

Chop up some potatoes and throw them into a square of tin foil with carrots, chicken (or whatever), whole garlic cloves, sage or whatever herbs.  Wrap that sucker up and cook over open flames/on top of hot coals.  It's yummy because the chicken juice gets absorbed by the vegetables. 
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Triple Zero

nuke em.

scrub them well, to get the mud off, cut a cross in them, and nuke them for a couple of minutes (remember that nuking time is linearly proportional to the volume of stuff in the microwave, so two potatoes take twice as long).

now comes the important bit, potatoes never cook evenly in the microwave (i tried at all different settings before i figured this out--trust me it's impossible), so you gotta let them post-cook for a while. i got best results when wrapping them in alu foil and waiting 10 minutes or so. but a friend told me recently that if you don't want to be wasteful, you can just let them rest folded up in a dishcloth as well.

use this extra time to create a nice cream of sour cream, chives, garlic, salt and pepper. and possibly yoghurt. or olive oil. or whatever.

--

also, mashing: peel the potatoes, cut them up into little pieces, put in a bowl with half a cup of water, cover the bowl and nuke it. drain the water, add garlic, milk, chives, butter, salt and pepper, possibly grated cheese too, and stir it with a fork until it's completely smooth.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on August 13, 2008, 08:07:54 AM
Oh yeah, grilling!

Hobo food:

Chop up some potatoes and throw them into a square of tin foil with carrots, chicken (or whatever), whole garlic cloves, sage or whatever herbs.  Wrap that sucker up and cook over open flames/on top of hot coals.  It's yummy because the chicken juice gets absorbed by the vegetables. 

Oooo. I actually forgot about that. We've done that a few times over a fire with ground beef, potatoes, peppers and onions.  The chicken and garlic would be really good to try.