News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Dumb Environmental Science Questions

Started by Demolition Squid, December 17, 2014, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

I'm fairly sure that the answers to these questions are... obvious, but an hour or so of inept googling last night has left me none the wiser so I thought I'd throw them out there.

1) Ice Caps = Ocean Level Rising: On an old episode of Mock the Week, Dara O'Brien made the claim that ocean levels won't rise as the ice caps melt for the same reason that a melting ice cube won't raise the level of a glass of water. Archimedes principle says that there should be no effect. Now, I'm guessing that the reason this isn't true is because the oceans do not flow underneath the ice caps as such (so the mass of the ice caps is not currently influencing the oceans one way or another) but... I don't know. Is that right?

2) If the problem with global warming is that more energy is being released than before, does it matter how that energy is generated? My dad was talking about his concern that bringing in energy from space - although a potential alternative to fossil fuels - would still be disrupting the Earth's 'closed system'. I tried to explain that the earth isn't actually a closed system at all (which I am pretty sure is true?) But the fundamental problem seems to be that energy that was locked up in oil, rocks and so on is now being used, with various by-products inevitably including heat. Even if we switch to wind, solar, nuclear and similar forms of alternative energy... surely we'll still be producing more heat than there was previously, and that will still raise the temperature (and lead to the problems we're seeing?)

I'm sure there'll be more some time but... these are the two that come to mind right now.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Doktor Howl

1.  If the ice is in the water, such as at the North pole, there will be no increase.  If the ice is above the water, such as the South pole, there will in fact be an increase.   And desalinization, which is its own bag of fun.

2.  It's not the heat of combustion that's causing the problem.  It's the gasses from combustion that are causing the problem.
Molon Lube

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 17, 2014, 01:13:07 PM
1.  If the ice is in the water, such as at the North pole, there will be no increase.  If the ice is above the water, such as the South pole, there will in fact be an increase.   And desalinization, which is its own bag of fun.

2.  It's not the heat of combustion that's causing the problem.  It's the gasses from combustion that are causing the problem.

Thanks!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I had a good site that did a fantastic job of explaining both the general and the more technical aspects of climate change, I'll try to find it for you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

Awesome, thanks Nigel - interesting site! Increased heat making water expand makes sense... I'd have thought glaciers would fall into the archimedes principle, but perhaps its a chicken and egg thing - by the time glaciers are melting, the average temperature of the water has risen to such a point it causes very slight expansion anyway.

That site in general is pretty good though. The acidity link it points to at first is great for making the gas issue clearer.

I just realized the other day that, although I feel strongly that we ought to be working to mitigate climate change, that's mostly from a vague understanding of the predicted effects. I don't know much about the mechanics behind those effects, and it is never good to be parroting 'well scientists claim that...' when you're talking about anything.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's true, the more you know about it the easier it is to back up your viewpoint.

Reginald Ret

More details for Howl's answer to 2:

The energy we release by combustion is negligible compared to the energy delivered by sunlight.
The amount of sunlight captured by the earth is primarily determined by 2 factors: reflection/absorption ratio of sunlight by the surface, and capture of reflected solar energy by gasses in the atmposphere.
Dark stuff catches more light than light stuff, stuff gets darker if it gets wetter. Deserts (both the sand and the ice kind) reflect very well. This is a limiting factor for heating planets. Until the ice-deserts melt, that is.
Greenhouse gasses are aptly named: they capture reflected energy better than other gasses.
All this means: Heat melts ice-deserts, water in the presence of heat creates clouds, clouds create rain, rain makes the other deserts wetter and thus less reflective. Also, permafrost melts releasing more bad gasses, ocean water stops mixing well (I'm not entirely clear on why that happens) causing the underwater-water to lose access to oxygen. This will do bad things to our interplanetary biodiversity ratings. Alien tourism will come to a screeching halt and our cows, crops, and rednecks will have to go through life relatively unmolested. Area 51 memorabilia will become collectors items and all the Men In Black will undergo retraining to torture smudgy people instead of green people.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on December 26, 2014, 02:48:02 AM

The energy we release by combustion is negligible compared to the energy delivered by sunlight.
The amount of sunlight captured by the earth is primarily determined by 2 factors: reflection/absorption ratio of sunlight by the surface, and capture of reflected solar energy by gasses in the atmposphere.
Dark stuff catches more light than light stuff, stuff gets darker if it gets wetter. Deserts (both the sand and the ice kind) reflect very well. This is a limiting factor for heating planets. Until the ice-deserts melt, that is.
Greenhouse gasses are aptly named: they capture reflected energy better than other gasses.
All this means: Heat melts ice-deserts, water in the presence of heat creates clouds, clouds create rain, rain makes the other deserts wetter and thus less reflective. Also, permafrost melts releasing more bad gasses, ocean water stops mixing well (I'm not entirely clear on why that happens) causing the underwater-water to lose access to oxygen. This will do bad things to our interplanetary biodiversity ratings. Alien tourism will come to a screeching halt and our cows, crops, and rednecks will have to go through life relatively unmolested. Area 51 memorabilia will become collectors items and all the Men In Black will undergo retraining to torture smudgy people instead of green people.

So you're agreeing with me?  I don't get it.
Molon Lube

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 26, 2014, 06:21:43 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on December 26, 2014, 02:48:02 AM

So you're agreeing with me?  I don't get it.
Yep, you stated the truth very succinctly. So I tried to give more details to further understanding but then I got distracted by my imagination.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"