News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Some Weird Shit I've Run Into Recently

Started by Telarus, May 13, 2012, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf087/sf087a02.htm

The Zuni Enigma
The Zunis of New Mexico are different from other Native Americans in many ways. In an impressive, very detailed paper in the NEARA Journal, N.Y. Davis summarizes her investigation of these anomalies as follows:

"...evidence suggesting Asian admixture is found in Zuni biology, lexicon, religion, social organization, and oral traditions of migration. Possible cultural and language links of Zuni to California, the social disruption at the end of the Heian period of the 12th century in Japan, the size of Japanese ships at the time of proposed migration, the cluster of significant changes in the late 13th century in Zuni, all lend further credibility to a relatively late prehistoric contact."

More @ the link

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/25/science/underwater-exploring-is-banned-in-brazil.html
UNDERWATER EXPLORING IS BANNED IN BRAZIL
By MARLISE SIMONS
Published: June 25, 1985

A DISPUTE between the Brazilian Navy and an American marine archeologist has led Brazil to bar the diver from entering the country and to place a ban on all underwater exploration.

The dispute involves Robert Marx, a Florida author and treasure hunter, who asserts that the Brazilian Navy dumped a thick layer of silt on the remains of a Roman vessel that he discovered inside Rio de Janeiro's bay.

The reason he gave for the Navy's action was that proof of a Roman presence would require Brazil to rewrite its recorded history, which has the Portuguese navigator Pedro Alvares Cabral discovering the country in 1500.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

That's fascinating Tel, thanks. Do you have any of your own thoughts on it?
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Fuck history, we've already got our mythology!

Cain

A Roman ship wouldn't make it across the Atlantic.  Sorry.

Furthermore, Marx isn't in any way an expert on Roman history, and while he certainly found something resembling amphorae on the Brazilian sea floor, only a single classicist was ever allowed to view them.

Speaking of which, she said:

QuoteThe highly publicized amphoras Robert Marx found in the ship are in fact similar in shape to jars produced in kilns at Kouass, on the west coast of Morocco. The Rio jars look to be late versions of those jars, perhaps datable to the third century A.D. I have a large piece of one of the Rio jars, but no labs I have consulted have any clay similar in composition. So the edges of the earth for Rome, beyond India and Scotland and eastern Europe, remain shrouded in mystery.

So not only is there a 500 year discrepancy between his and her claims, but she also tells us that its composition is unknown.

I have to say, the idea that white Europeans had to have brought the magic technology of pottery to South America to be more than just slightly condescending.

Telarus

:lulz:

See, that's why I don't draw conclusions until I get more info.

I still find the Zuni tribe to be a really cool enigma.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Sano

I see absolutely no reason for why the Navy would do something like that. In fact, there is a rock shaped a little bit like a phoenician statue somewhere in Rio, and there's supposedly something written in the phoenician alphabet in it; it's even included in history books sometimes as a curiosity. This often attracts tourists, and a roman ship would attract even more...
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I've been to Belgium before, it's not that big.  I've had mouth ulcers bigger than Belgium.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

Quote from: Telarus on November 05, 2012, 05:41:46 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/80000-pounds-of-walnuts-stolen-california-accented-delivery0driver-imposter_n_2050181.html

QuoteFood thefts, though not quite as flashy as say, diamond thefts, have been in the news recently. In late August, some sticky-fingered thieves up north stole several millions dollars worth of maple syrup from a secure warehouse in Quebec, Canada.

The valuable stolen syrup was recovered earlier this month in New Brunswick, however, where it was put under police protection, pending further investigation.
Telarus, KSC,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel