News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours'

Started by Bu🤠ns, March 17, 2014, 05:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2014, 09:33:21 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 24, 2014, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on March 24, 2014, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 21, 2014, 06:44:43 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on March 21, 2014, 04:08:14 AM
Quote from: Pæs on March 20, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 20, 2014, 06:07:55 PM
I'm talking about it because I think the millienium old children is a story concept that practically writes itself!
This! The actual rationale for suggesting it is pretty weak. Like, "drugs make time slow down, let's isolate that property of drugs and work out how doses correspond to time" weak as far as I can tell. But that it was suggested is worth discussion, IMO, because it's a fucked up suggestion.
Technically, magnetic pulses to certain parts of the brain can also speed or slow our perception of time, which would probably do less damage then drugging up prisoners minds

motherfuckin magnets, how do they work?
Transcranial magnetic pulses (TCM) are one of the newest alternatives to electroshock therapy, the principle being that they can do the same job as electroshock without the possibility of giving you amnesia afterwards. Since your neurons fire when they're charged a certain way, they can use magnets instead of electricity to stimulate parts of the brain that arent working correctly

Interesting, ive always felt that electrical tampering with the brain would only equate to frying some "circuits".

I am not a doctor, so I really don't know, but it seems to me that running a higher voltage and/or current through any system than the system was designed for cannot help but damage the system.
Yea, there's a reason they only use it in very extreme cases(schizophrenia, catatonic depression, psychosis), and even then as a last resort. Back in the old days, they'd wire your whole brain up to electrical shocks to induce seizures(this was still safer than inducing them with high levels of drugs) because it was the only effective method to deal with schizophrenia. To be fair, the method has always been pretty effective, even back then, its the side effects that were a concern. Modern ECT puts the patients completely under so theres no pain, monitors your heart to avoid heart attacks, uses muscles relaxants so you don't actually flail about and hurt yourself, and doctors have been studying how to minimize the chance of amnesia (smaller shocks on focused areas of the brain) for decades. The scary parts are that ECT can cause retrograde/anterograde amnesia, plus doctors still aren't exactly sure WHY it works (its the biological equivalent of kicking your tv to fix the reception.) it just does.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

hooplala

From the research I've done, it was my understanding that there was never any pain associated with ECT.  some people are huge proponents of it recently, including Carrie Fisher.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

True, but due the image of ECT in the media, due to films like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, people's  perceptions of ECT tend to be associated with the severe and sometimes abusive methods it was meant to replace(repeated ducking in ice cold water, frontal lobotomies, drugging manic or disruptive patients till they can't do anything but stare and drool, etc.)
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 27, 2014, 11:41:23 AM
From the research I've done, it was my understanding that there was never any pain associated with ECT.  some people are huge proponents of it recently, including Carrie Fisher.

She got her MD at the same place Jenny McCarthy got hers, right?

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 28, 2014, 04:44:07 PM

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 28, 2014, 04:46:50 PM

I just shot hot coffee out of my nose.

:argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 28, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

:thanks:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 28, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

I would have too, if I were having coffee right now.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS