News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

SHOW ME WHERE YOU LIVE, SPAG

Started by Pæs, June 22, 2014, 08:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Suu, I love your hunting lodge, it is epic!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

And useful. When I invite friends up to "the lodge in New Hampshire." They don't need to go farther than my living room for a fine Balvenie and a real dead deer!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love the hunting lodge, and the slab of granite! We don't have granite here. We have basalt. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of basalt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 23, 2014, 11:56:01 PM
I love the hunting lodge, and the slab of granite! We don't have granite here. We have basalt. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of basalt.

Igneous rocks ftw! I often wonder where the volcanoes were in the Appalachians, but I do know that a fair chunk of New England was underwater. They've found whale fossils in Vermont.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Suu on June 24, 2014, 12:24:38 AM

Igneous rocks ftw! I often wonder where the volcanoes were in the Appalachians, but I do know that a fair chunk of New England was underwater. They've found whale fossils in Vermont.

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, there were none. Any igneous rock visible in that region is almost definitely exposed basement rock, or ophiolites (uplifted chunks of oceanic crust).

Suu

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 24, 2014, 02:03:28 AM

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, there were none. Any igneous rock visible in that region is almost definitely exposed basement rock, or ophiolites (uplifted chunks of oceanic crust).

So the range itself was built entirely by tectonic movement, and the ophiolite makes sense, in that a great deal of the coast was underwater, and it all got moved up. It's entirely humbling to think of how old these rocks here on the East Coast are as opposed to the West, which are STILL old. Geological time is fascinating.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Suu on June 24, 2014, 02:27:05 AM

So the range itself was built entirely by tectonic movement, and the ophiolite makes sense, in that a great deal of the coast was underwater, and it all got moved up. It's entirely humbling to think of how old these rocks here on the East Coast are as opposed to the West, which are STILL old. Geological time is fascinating.

Yep. East coast geology and tectonics are a fucking mess, too. This whole side of continent is accreted from various smaller continents that got smashed into it while the subduction zone still existed, and various mountain ranges that grew and eroded away. The Catskills are not tectonic at all, on that note: they are the leftovers of the Taconic Mountains, now gone, which eroded into sediment at the bottom of a shallow sea. When that sea got uplifted above sea level and the sediment became stone, rain and river formation carved out the Catskills.

Suu

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 24, 2014, 02:50:30 AM
Quote from: The Suu on June 24, 2014, 02:27:05 AM

Yep. East coast geology and tectonics are a fucking mess, too. This whole side of continent is accreted from various smaller continents that got smashed into it while the subduction zone still existed, and various mountain ranges that grew and eroded away. The Catskills are not tectonic at all, on that note: they are the leftovers of the Taconic Mountains, now gone, which eroded into sediment at the bottom of a shallow sea. When that sea got uplifted above sea level and the sediment became stone, rain and river formation carved out the Catskills.

I'm assuming that also goes for the modern Taconics/Hudson Highlands as well. I always thought the Catskills just looked weird in comparison to the Adirondacks and the Whites, which are arguably still "pointy" for old mountains. That, and you can see the rock differences just driving on the highway on the switchbacks from New Jersey to Massachusetts. The Hudson and Mohawk valleys are all shale and slate, while the Berkshires into the Greens and Whites are granite. Weeeeeeird. I learned a thing! I shall impress the Jeff with this on our next "hang on, we gotta drive through the *bleeping* mountains" roadtrip.