News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Five Blind Men and an Elephant

Started by Reverend Loveshade, August 13, 2008, 02:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on August 14, 2008, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 14, 2008, 07:41:23 PM
oh...so you just happened to write the exact same story as two other people without having read either story?

wow. not only are you pretentious and annoying, you're either really dumb or you think we're really dumb.

go be a namefag somewhere else.

The story is an ancient one, and there are different versions of it all over the world.  It probably began in South Asia, but no one knows for sure.  If you notice in my heading, I say that I ripped it off.  Many people have done their own ripoffs, including Sam Gross, Robert Anton Wilson, John Godfrey Saxe (who wrote the most famous English-language version of the 19th century), and many others.  I figured if the Sufis, Jainists, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. could have their own version, why not write a Discordian version?

A friend of mine even used a version of the story in a Christian adult Sunday school class, of all places, and was asked by the church's pastor to present it to children's church.  It actually fits in well with the New Testament teaching that the eye can't say to the hand that, because you aren't an eye, the body doesn't need you.

I think that teaching applies to Discordians as well.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Uncle BadTouch, maybe if you stop trying to be a guru for a couple of minutes, it will sink in that everyone else here is a guru, too, and that trying to force-feed others your old, stale sunday-school lessons just makes you come off as a self-important condescending asshat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2008, 01:23:26 PM
Interesting...  that's two signs of fascism I display then...

Syncretism and knowing Enrico?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 14, 2008, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2008, 01:11:30 PM
Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on August 14, 2008, 05:08:58 AM
I really don't like syncretists. (fixed)

Why not?

One of Christianity's big points is that salvation can only come through God, specifically the form of Jesus of Nazareth.  To try to save yourself without God is essentially denying God.  Buddhism explicitly makes the statement that humans can discover the truth and thereby save themselves, without teachers or gods - and goes so far as to say that gods can't really help with enlightenment.  Syncretists would have you believe that both religions are simultaneously correct, describing different perspectives of the same truth as the various blind men are describing the same elephant.  Similarly, Mohammed was the last prophet... there just happen to be many other prophets (J. Smith, Baha'u'llah) of God who came later.  It's okay in that it doesn't say that any religion is wrong, it just recognizes that the people who say that that religion is wrong are also correct.

It's doublethink and compartmentalization of beliefs at a massive level under the banner of tolerance.

I'm a few posts late for this, but I'd just like to point out that the idea that Christianity demands you be saved "through Jesus" is only one interpretation. When Jesus says "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light; no man comes to the Father but by me," he could just as easily have been saying "What I am is the way... no man comes to the Father but by being what I am." It's a matter of how you read the language. It sort of works that way in English, and I suspect that interpretation would work even better in whatever language the passage was written in.

As to syncretism - I think all religions are true in that they are similar, and they are similar in that people everywhere are similarly stupid and superstitious.

Also the premise of the OP is completely false: a Discordian would generally not give two shits about charging admission -- we'd leave that to the Subgenii.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on August 14, 2008, 09:43:46 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2008, 01:23:26 PM
Interesting...  that's two signs of fascism I display then...

Syncretism and knowing Enrico?

Shit. Three.

I'm also resistant to trying new foods, which I read somewhere was also a sign of fascist personality.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Actually, I read that report, and it said nothing of the type.  This is the actual article it came from:

QuoteThe guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Now, if you were a sleazy and disreputable reporter, you could read into that an implication which the former is racist.  However, it was in reference to the larger subsection of the paper, not the immediately preceeding sentence.

So yeah, tabloids made up shit again.

Cain
loves teh curried foods, just like Hitler.

hooplala

Sweet!  I never have to eat anything I don't like again without fear of becoming a führer!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Bacchus died and rose from the dead?  :lulz:

he really is the god of hangovers!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: vexati0n on August 14, 2008, 09:49:54 PM
Also the premise of the OP is completely false: a Discordian would generally not give two shits about charging admission -- we'd leave that to the Subgenii.

Excellente!  I thought of that when I wrote it, but have never seen anyone point it out before.  :D
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Vex, you win a gold star because you thought of something the Master already thought of! Good boy!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: vexati0n on August 14, 2008, 09:49:54 PM

Actually, "Bob" will charge you to get out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on August 14, 2008, 09:38:58 PM
Uncle BadTouch, maybe if you stop trying to be a guru for a couple of minutes, it will sink in that everyone else here is a guru, too, and that trying to force-feed others your old, stale sunday-school lessons just makes you come off as a self-important condescending asshat.

This.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

Quote from: Hoopla on August 14, 2008, 10:30:18 PM
Sweet!  I never have to eat anything I don't like again without fear of becoming a führer!

Where does the 'Soup Nazi' fit into this?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Sorry I'm late!

EVERYBODY DANCE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4aqkyCzPA
PD DANCE PARTY! FUCK YEAH!

FUCK YO SHIT!
                        \

OVER 9,000 LINES OF TEXT!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A